hubby has some concerns

chars

So my husband and I are platinum, having many cruises under our belt, together.  When we cruise we always are fine doing our own thing and I have even done some excursions on my own.  I am a teacher and looking into a spring break cruise.  My husband does not want to take the week off as we are going on a Bermuda cruise in the summer.  So I am thinking of doing my first solo cruise.  He is concerned about something going wrong and me being all alone.  How does everyone handle this?  I guess I can get the wifi package and keep in touch with him that way.  Any advice on how I can assure him that it is safe?

This question used to come up a lot with friends when I started traveling by myself but that is their insecurity not mine. Traveling by yourself is so empowering, strengthening, freeing and calming. You can talk to people or not, you can do what you want. when you want, where you want, how you want, and eat what you want. Traveling on a cruise you are never alone, as you know, and a lot of times you end up seeing the same people. I've been traveling by myself Might you want to consider an excursion through the ship - sure if that will make you both comfortable. Should you think of things you normally wouldn't think of if you were together - yes. Such as not leaving your drink by your chair, going to the bathroom and then coming back to it and you don't have to tell anyone you are by yourself. I've said I'm with/meeting a friend or boyfriend if the situation/person gave me so off vibes. 

If a check-in each day would make you both feel good the wi-fi package is good. You can also put his info as an emergency contact on a card in your stateroom safe so they would know who to call if need be. 

• Like 4

I pretty much second what bhsolo said. I have been cruising and traveling alone for about fifteen years now. The main person who is worried at this point is my mother (I suppose that never stops regardless of age!). So, I get the WiFi package and call her each day. You can call or text your hubby, send some selfies. I am a woman also and never had any issues, nothing more than you do on land surrounded by people. You can find a “buddy” on the roll call list and maybe check in with that person once a day. It would just do that someone else on board knows you are okay. If you are not feeling well, there is a doc, if you have issues, there are great crew. You will have an amazing time and experience a whole new level of relaxation!! It may feel weird at times like dining alone, but you get used to it. You will be able to to what you want when you want to do it. Go and have fun! The only problem is going to be that you will be hooked!! 😉

5 hours ago, chars said:

So my husband and I are platinum, having many cruises under our belt, together.  When we cruise we always are fine doing our own thing and I have even done some excursions on my own.  I am a teacher and looking into a spring break cruise.  My husband does not want to take the week off as we are going on a Bermuda cruise in the summer.  So I am thinking of doing my first solo cruise.  He is concerned about something going wrong and me being all alone.  How does everyone handle this?  I guess I can get the wifi package and keep in touch with him that way.  Any advice on how I can assure him that it is safe?

Chas, 2/14 is my birthday.  90% of my travel is as a solo female over the past 3 decades.  The standard trips:  NYC, Washington DC, I live in the SF Bay Area and have been all over including up and down the coast.  London, Paris were fairly standard, Chile, Turkey, MX less so.  I think/feel it is a matter of attitude and good sense.  Know what you are doing, where you are going.  Several books have been published on solo, female traveling as more and more women are . . . I've had zero problems.  This will be my first cruise.  The largest challenge is what to see at each stop.  You are the one who needs to feel comfortable first.  Go girl.  Quincy

Hi, I always sail solo as I have no husband, mate, SO, or whatever it is called these days.....

Never had any issues and after living on my own for almost my entire adult life I have found cruising

to be one of the safest ways to travel...and I love being pampered:classic_biggrin:....unpack once and

nothing else to concern yourself about.  If you have a bit too much to drink, you are not driving.....

if you want to just do nothing all day? I just returned from a cruise and basically relaxed all week.

After cruising solo for the past 17 years, I have found it is the best vacation my money can buy!

Exceptional Value for what you  get:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chars said:

Thank you all for your replies, I really think I am going to do this!

Good for you. I appreciate he is concerned for you, but let's face it, you are a competent woman that people trust to teach their children and I bet he also considers you a competent woman. Why would that change just because you don't have him with you? If it makes him feel better, get some communication package and keep in touch.

Now, this is a little morbid, but statistically, one of you will be left alone in later life. I encourage all couples to take some breaks independently to learn to be self sufficient for the future. This is an easy way to learn, as you know the cruise ropes already.

Go, have fun. Have exciting conversations about it when you get back.

I'm a solo traveler as well.  Cruising is a safe way for solo travelers.  For excursions, go with a cruise sponsored tour.  You won't be alone and the cruise line knows where you will be.  If you go off on your own or sign up on an excursion when you leave the ship, no one knows where you are.  

I do any time dining or eat in the buffet at dinner.  If I go to the buffet, I sit in the same section and see the same wait staff member.  After a day or two, they get to know you and look for you.  You don't feel so alone.

On 1/27/2020 at 5:41 PM, WELDON said:

. . . For excursions, go with a cruise sponsored tour.  You won't be alone and the cruise line knows where you will be.  If you go off on your own or sign up on an excursion when you leave the ship, no one knows where you are.  

This is what I will be doing on my first solo cruise, for all except one of the ports.  I don't have a spouse, but I think my grown sons will be reassured that I will mostly be with a group from the ship.  For the one port where I am going on my own, they will know which museums I will be visiting.  They will also know what flights I will be on and at which hotels I will be staying pre- and post-cruise.  The cruise line has one son's contact information for any emergency.   I will have an internet package in order to keep in touch with them and with my sister - not because I think I will need to report problems, but to share the fun I expect to have.  😁

To the OP,  it's understandable if your husband is concerned, but I hope you can convince him of what everyone here has said - that cruises particularly suitable for a solo vacation.   You said you are a teacher.  Teachers are resourceful problem solvers, so I am sure you can handle whatever might come up - which will probably be nothing.  

• 2 weeks later...

My husband had that same concern a couple years ago when I took my first solo cruise. I texted him from each port, just because I was doing beach days on my own - no ship sponsored excursions. Wanted him to know I was safe. 

Just got back from my second solo cruise last week. He didn't have any concerns this time. Just maybe some jealousy that I may want to cruise solo all the time - and never invite him or family members again!! HA!

Each cruise is different. Every person you cruise with makes the experience different. ** So enjoy a solo cruise for a new type of experience! As you can tell, there are a lot of us traveling by ourselves who LOVE it! Have fun!!

I'm doing my first solo cruise in April, a 15 night TA crossing from Miami to Barcelona on the Seabourn Quest.  I've been on shorter solo trips and also have traveled with just my daughters when they were kids.  My husband is a bit concerned.  I plan on purchasing a wifi package so we can keep in touch.  I will also have an international plan on my phone so I can call in ports.  I plan on doing mostly cruise line sponsored tours except one small private group tour with a few folks from my roll call.  I'm spending a few days post cruise in Barcelona.  We've vacationed there quite a bit as a family so I'm pretty comfortable there, even so I booked with a company we've used in the past for a semi-private tour outside of the city.  

I'm super excited about this cruise.