19whitefish78

19whitefish78

We are sailing on Oceania's Nautica Sept 14, 2020.  What is the policy for bringing wine onboard?  Their policy reads " Passengers may not bring their own beer or liquor onboard, but may bring a maximum of three bottles of wine or Champagne per cabin for the duration of a cruise (this includes embarkation and purchasing onshore during a port call)".  Does that mean that at EACH port call we can bring  3 more bottles of wine onboard?  That would be a lot of wine, not that we would do that at each port call.

48 minutes ago, 19whitefish78 said:

We are sailing on Oceania's Nautica Sept 14, 2020.  What is the policy for bringing wine onboard?  Their policy reads " Passengers may not bring their own beer or liquor onboard, but may bring a maximum of three bottles of wine or Champagne per cabin for the duration of a cruise (this includes embarkation and purchasing onshore during a port call)".  Does that mean that at EACH port call we can bring  3 more bottles of wine onboard?  That would be a lot of wine, not that we would do that at each port call.

Wrong...... you can bring as much beer, wine, liquor on board as often as you please  In reasonable quantifies    It has been this way for years    The official policy published  is really not what is reality  Unless they have mace a drastic change in the last few months

Welcome to Cruise Critic. As a suggestion, I KNOW these things are not always intuitive, it would be useful to have the topic you want an answer to in the subject line/title rather than your CC handle.

44 minutes ago, 19whitefish78 said:

>What is the policy for bringing wine onboard?

It means a maximum of three bottles of wine for the duration. So say three at embarkation, or one at embarkation and two at a port of call, or ...

But that is official policy. If you search on the forum (and I've found that function does not always return the expected results) you will find many threads with a similar question and the consensus of the responses is they will not restrict how much you bring on board.

So in return for this liberal policy please do not violate the rule that wine brought on board is to be consumed in your cabin and not in any public place unless you pay corkage on that bottle. Doing that will encourage O to enforce the policy as it is written and that will make many (okay, me) very unhappy.

Enjoy your cruise.

I see that this was your first post so welcome to CC.  I suggest you fiddle around a bit with the search function and be sure to select "this forum" or  you will get a return from all cruise lines.  Cumbersome and annoying.

With respect to wine and spirits. Yes, Oceania has an official but unenforced policy. I have personally brought a case of wine on board  on three occasions (hand carried two winery type 6 packs).  Also brought additional wine aboard as needed.  Corkage fee is $25 per bottle (as of last June). They will store your unfinished bottles and bring it to your table next time you ask. 

Wine prices are pretty high on board and selections a bit thin if you have specific tastes.  So, retail plus $25 would be substantially below the cost of the same or similar wine off their list.  Plus, you get a wine you know you want to drink.

We will be disembarking in Stockholm the day you board.  Enjoy your cruise.

Robbie

On 1/25/2020 at 5:32 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Wrong...... you can bring as much beer, wine, liquor on board as often as you please  In reasonable quantifies    It has been this way for years    The official policy published  is really not what is reality  Unless they have mace a drastic change in the last few months

Thanks so much for your input...we'll take that under consideration.

Do they check your your luggage or carry-on bag for beer, wine, liquor, etc?

Edited by 19whitefish78

On 1/25/2020 at 6:00 PM, robbie21 said:

I see that this was your first post so welcome to CC.  I suggest you fiddle around a bit with the search function and be sure to select "this forum" or  you will get a return from all cruise lines.  Cumbersome and annoying.

With respect to wine and spirits. Yes, Oceania has an official but unenforced policy. I have personally brought a case of wine on board  on three occasions (hand carried two winery type 6 packs).  Also brought additional wine aboard as needed.  Corkage fee is $25 per bottle (as of last June). They will store your unfinished bottles and bring it to your table next time you ask. 

Wine prices are pretty high on board and selections a bit thin if you have specific tastes.  So, retail plus $25 would be substantially below the cost of the same or similar wine off their list.  Plus, you get a wine you know you want to drink.

We will be disembarking in Stockholm the day you board.  Enjoy your cruise.

Robbie

Robbie, thanks for your advice!

Thanks so much for your reply!

• Like 1

As you must have figured out by now by the answers, you don't have to hide liquor when boarding -- whether at the boarding port or at subsequent ports.  I sometimes carry Rum Runners and the like, but that's for convenience -- as in not worrying about a bottle breaking in my luggage!  Or perhaps I don't really want to bring that much along so the Rum Runner is sufficient.

You don't have to hide liquor or beer when traveling on Oceania.

Just don't carry liquor meant to be consumed in your room around the ship ... and I won't mention yet again the corkage fee if you take wine to a dining venue!

Mura

Then you have no problem!  Buy as much as you wish to carry on board.  I know you've seen the other posts that say "we've taken on a case" or more.  We haven't done that ourselves, but we have never had a problem in bringing on several bottles.  If I buy them in a port, I bring on bottles.  If I'm bringing on vodka (or similar) I'm more likely to use the Rum Runners ... as I said, for convenience because I'm using my "home" supply.  On Oceania I don't have to hide that I'm bringing liquor on board.

Going back prehistory ... when Oceania started out (as I recall) they were going to charge for liquor being brought on board.  The regulars (mainstays from Renaissance) raised such an outcry that they said, okay.  You can bring it on -- with limits.  (Mostly the limits are where you can drink your wine and liquor.)  So far they haven't changed that policy.  Knock on wood ...

But you should have no problem, as I said at the outset!

Wish I could travel with you ...

11 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

You can bring on what you like. We also bought wines we liked in Tenerife on our last cruise and shared with friends in our cabin.

Were the Tenerife wines good?  We were too tired at that point to get off our van.

We brought 12 bottles on board on our last cruise. 24 and a bottle of Amarula cream liquor bought in Capetown on the cruise before that.   Nothing was hidden. Everything was scanned. No problems.

Edited by Mrs f.
Spelling error

We were on Marina in November and boarded in Marseille. We stopped on the way to the port and purchased 10 bottles of wine. We had them in a huge reusable shopping bag which we carried on at boarding. People in line kept telling us we would not "get through" with it. And telling us very aggressively. This was our fourth Oceania cruise, so we knew better. But I tell you this because, had we not been so confident, these naysayers would have struck the fear of god in us. On the other side of security, the same folks wanted our cabin number for a cocktail hour visit! 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Were the Tenerife wines good?  We were too tired at that point to get off our van.

Lets just say they are "interesting".  Some very pleasant and drinkable whites.  Reds that we tried were less interesting but still quite good.  Overall good values.  Because of its isolated location the Canaries have both unique grape varieties and growing and vinting techniques that have not changed for perhaps 500 years.

9 hours ago, clairol said:

We were on Marina in November and boarded in Marseille. We stopped on the way to the port and purchased 10 bottles of wine. We had them in a huge reusable shopping bag which we carried on at boarding. People in line kept telling us we would not "get through" with it. And telling us very aggressively. This was our fourth Oceania cruise, so we knew better. But I tell you this because, had we not been so confident, these naysayers would have struck the fear of god in us. On the other side of security, the same folks wanted our cabin number for a cocktail hour visit! 😉

Thanks so much!  This seems to be the overwhelming response.