Small kids on Princess

ltlqtgrl

I just booked a cruise on the Royal Princess with my 4 and 6 year olds (just the kids and me... single mom...) for their first cruise.  Does any one have information on the kids program for their age?  Kids menus? Any other tips/suggestions?  Thank you!!

This thread has info on the kid's menu.  I can't help with the kid's program.  My "kid" aged out several years ago.

They are also free to order off of the adult menu.

Edited by topspot

I sailed Princess alone with my twins when they were little many times - Princess always too great care of us.  We ate in the dining room whenever possible (it's closed at lunch at times), it's SO much easier than navigating the buffet with kids.  Kids loved the club - we pretty much arranged naps and meals around club hours.  

I brought a bunch of $1 bills for room service tips.  I'd order milk, coffee and something small for them to eat before breakfast while we got ready.  Trick to successful travel with my girls was to never let them get hungry or too tired.  They'd nap before dinner while I got ready - then they weren't overtired for dinner, and we could go out dancing after the early seating - so much fun.  

Have a great time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, topspot said:

This thread has info on the kid's menu.  I can't help with the kid's program.  My "kid" aged out several years ago.

They are also free to order off of the adult menu.

Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, Kerry's Girls said:

I sailed Princess alone with my twins when they were little many times - Princess always too great care of us.  We ate in the dining room whenever possible (it's closed at lunch at times), it's SO much easier than navigating the buffet with kids.  Kids loved the club - we pretty much arranged naps and meals around club hours.  

I brought a bunch of $1 bills for room service tips.  I'd order milk, coffee and something small for them to eat before breakfast while we got ready.  Trick to successful travel with my girls was to never let them get hungry or too tired.  They'd nap before dinner while I got ready - then they weren't overtired for dinner, and we could go out dancing after the early seating - so much fun.  

Have a great time.

Thank you!  Great idea for room service tips!  I think the thing I'm most worried about is attempting the buffet with them lol.  My youngest still needs help carrying trays of food and I wouldn't want to leave them alone at a table while I went to get food... also, thanks for the reminder to ensure they get enough rest, I know how mine are at home if they skip nap or go to bed too late.

Also, glad to hear that other's kids enjoyed the kids club :). 

3 hours ago, ltlqtgrl said:

Thank you!  Great idea for room service tips!  I think the thing I'm most worried about is attempting the buffet with them lol.  My youngest still needs help carrying trays of food and I wouldn't want to leave them alone at a table while I went to get food... also, thanks for the reminder to ensure they get enough rest, I know how mine are at home if they skip nap or go to bed too late.

Also, glad to hear that other's kids enjoyed the kids club :). 

There is no need to ever do the buffet.  I was shooed out of the buffet by the dining room manager our first night on a Princess cruise (I went there thinking we'd annoy other passengers in the dining room).  As he said, moms belong in the dining room to be served while on vacation - not be the waiter for their children.  In the buffet there is so much juggling and up and down and I forgot this or that.  Not relaxing.  Go to the dining room for every breakfast and dinner and lunches when it's open.  I just mentioned room service in the morning because my girls wanted something to eat right away, so I'd get them something small to eliminate whining while we get ready and then they'd have a proper breakfast in the dining room.  Thanks to that dining room manager who sent us away from the buffet, I loved meals on board - It is SUCH a pleasure to sit and enjoy the company of my kids while someone else brings anything we want.    We would sometimes go to the buffet just for dessert if they were getting antsy in their seats.  Such a wonderful way to vacaiton.

• Thanks 1

My son sailed on Princess at 2.  He could attend the kids club under parental supervision so I had a lot of experience watching the kids club staff.  They are amazing, and really love children.  They modified all the daily crafts to help my son and let him do whatever he wanted.  

IT might be too late for this, but in general with young children I recommend not sailing during the school breaks.  The kids clubs are more crowded, and the staff has less time and attention to pay to little ones who might need extra reassurance.  

We did the buffets sometimes because I like feeding my kids a variety of foods (usually on cruises buffets there is one ethnic food section each day that is really good) and the buffet makes it easy to let them try a lot of new foods.  You can absolutely do that in the main dining room, where they are always happy to bring extra food to your kids, but there's a much larger selection in the buffet.  

You might want to visit the buffet once to pick up boxes of cereal and fruit for your room, or request extra from room service at breakfast so you always have snacks on hand in your room in case your kids get hungry.  Sealed cereal boxes (not fruit) can be taken off the ship for snacks on excursions.

On princess, room service would happily bring warm milk and cookies at night so that was always a great way to end our day.

• Like 1

Concerning cereal boxes...You might go to the Princess board here and ask if they still have boxes of cereal.  People who have sailed recently, maybe in the last 6 months.  I just got off a Carnival ship on Sunday and apparently one of the cost saving/environment saving measures is that cereal no longer comes in boxes.  It is in those tall cylinders that you put a bowl under and twist...  EM

27 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Concerning cereal boxes...You might go to the Princess board here and ask if they still have boxes of cereal.  People who have sailed recently, maybe in the last 6 months.  I just got off a Carnival ship on Sunday and apparently one of the cost saving/environment saving measures is that cereal no longer comes in boxes.  It is in those tall cylinders that you put a bowl under and twist...  EM

Regal Princess had boxes of cereal on our Thanksgiving '19 cruise.

On 1/27/2020 at 1:59 PM, Kerry's Girls said:

There is no need to ever do the buffet.  I was shooed out of the buffet by the dining room manager our first night on a Princess cruise (I went there thinking we'd annoy other passengers in the dining room).  As he said, moms belong in the dining room to be served while on vacation - not be the waiter for their children.  In the buffet there is so much juggling and up and down and I forgot this or that.  Not relaxing.  Go to the dining room for every breakfast and dinner and lunches when it's open.  I just mentioned room service in the morning because my girls wanted something to eat right away, so I'd get them something small to eliminate whining while we get ready and then they'd have a proper breakfast in the dining room.  Thanks to that dining room manager who sent us away from the buffet, I loved meals on board - It is SUCH a pleasure to sit and enjoy the company of my kids while someone else brings anything we want.    We would sometimes go to the buffet just for dessert if they were getting antsy in their seats.  Such a wonderful way to vacaiton.

Thank you!  It's good to hear that the staff try to help make your vacation actually a bit more vacation like =).  It will definitely make things so much easier if I'm not worrying about getting the kids everything they need (or changed their mind about) while making sure to keep an eye on them. 

On 1/27/2020 at 9:01 PM, kitkat343 said:

My son sailed on Princess at 2.  He could attend the kids club under parental supervision so I had a lot of experience watching the kids club staff.  They are amazing, and really love children.  They modified all the daily crafts to help my son and let him do whatever he wanted.  

IT might be too late for this, but in general with young children I recommend not sailing during the school breaks.  The kids clubs are more crowded, and the staff has less time and attention to pay to little ones who might need extra reassurance.  

We did the buffets sometimes because I like feeding my kids a variety of foods (usually on cruises buffets there is one ethnic food section each day that is really good) and the buffet makes it easy to let them try a lot of new foods.  You can absolutely do that in the main dining room, where they are always happy to bring extra food to your kids, but there's a much larger selection in the buffet.  

You might want to visit the buffet once to pick up boxes of cereal and fruit for your room, or request extra from room service at breakfast so you always have snacks on hand in your room in case your kids get hungry.  Sealed cereal boxes (not fruit) can be taken off the ship for snacks on excursions.

On princess, room service would happily bring warm milk and cookies at night so that was always a great way to end our day.

Thank you!  I know, it would be less crowded when not during school breaks... but my son is in kindergarten and I didn't want to take him out of school for a vacation.  Plus we were able to find a good deal on an itinerary that I'm more comfortable with the kids (California coastal instead of the typical Mexican Rivera).

Thanks for the advice on keeping snacks on hand.  Also, great to know that room service will bring milk... the kids are used to having milk at night so it will be good to keep at least some routine :).   

On 1/28/2020 at 12:56 PM, Essiesmom said:

Thank you!  I will see if I can find out.

Princess are great with children. Ours had first cruise when about 14 months old and eldest is 13 this summer and looking forward to this year's cruise.

last summer on Sapphire Princess we had no problems at all, waiters would bring whatever the kids wanted, often things that weren't on the menu , eldest would try something new but waiters would bring him a plain burger without  us having to ask if he saw he wasn't enjoying his food.

when they were younger the staff in the buffet would carry the plates or test for us and set up a high chair. In the dinning room they will bring the children food quickly, if they have same thing most days you won't need to ask!

Last summer the children menu included spaghetti and meatballs, burger, chicken, but you can ask for any of the adult items without the sauce or mix and match items.

we never have any worry that out family will be hungry and we are fussy!! A meat eater, a veggie, a low-carb, a sugar free, plus two with allergies! Never had a problem.

You can ask to see the menu for the following evening and if there isn't anything you want then you can ask for something else.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2020 at 1:07 PM, cabin4three said:

Princess are great with children. Ours had first cruise when about 14 months old and eldest is 13 this summer and looking forward to this year's cruise.

last summer on Sapphire Princess we had no problems at all, waiters would bring whatever the kids wanted, often things that weren't on the menu , eldest would try something new but waiters would bring him a plain burger without  us having to ask if he saw he wasn't enjoying his food.

when they were younger the staff in the buffet would carry the plates or test for us and set up a high chair. In the dinning room they will bring the children food quickly, if they have same thing most days you won't need to ask!

Last summer the children menu included spaghetti and meatballs, burger, chicken, but you can ask for any of the adult items without the sauce or mix and match items.

we never have any worry that out family will be hungry and we are fussy!! A meat eater, a veggie, a low-carb, a sugar free, plus two with allergies! Never had a problem.

You can ask to see the menu for the following evening and if there isn't anything you want then you can ask for something else.

Thank you very much!  Everyone has be so reassuring about the staff and it has helped to ease my mind =).