Will QM2 still call at Hong Kong in Feb

Windsurfboy

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Is it the end of a sector? ...

QM2's scheduled call at Hong Kong on February 18th is the end of these sectors.

M002B: New York - Hong Kong (46 nights)

M003B: Southampton - Hong Kong (39 nights)

M004A: Dubai - Hong Kong (19 nights)

M005: Singapore - Hong Kong (5 nights)

It's also the start of these sectors.

M006: Hong Kong - Brisbane (14 nights)

M006A: Hong Kong - Sydney (17 nights)

M006B: Hong Kong - Fremantle (25 nights)

M006C: Hong Kong - Cape Town (43 nights)

M006D: Hong Kong - Southampton (60 nights)

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Will  QM2 still call at Hong Kong in Feb.

If so, if you were on the ship would you get off

Also wondering about our call there and also our call at Shanghai early April on QE......

My husband is getting very concerned - I was already - and when he gets concerned, I get mega concerned. 

He has already said if he considers it prudent nearer the time, and Cunard don’t change things, we’ll just cancel and take the (big) hit.

I think the danger with this virus is that it is a new strain , most likely passed initially passed from animal to human, and so difficult to assess how it will progress. It seems to show mild symptoms is some people and serious respiratory symptoms, similar to SARS,  in others. 

We have travelled in China and Asia a lot for work and cruises - we were actually booked on the Quantum of the seas Singapore to Hong Kong leaving on 15th February, but had to cancel last year due to work commitments.

To be honest I would not want to be on a mass market cruise that does short China cruises or leaving from a mainland China port right now. However, right or wrong, I would probably be OK with Cunard, HAL etc. on a longer Singapore/ Vietnam / Hong Kong itinerary not calling at mainland China ports.

The most worrying part will probable be the airport - particularly Hong Kong. I would not want to do a city break in Hong Kong at the moment either, based on feedback from work colleagues there.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 4:27 PM, lissie said:

Ithink people are over-reacting a lot. Unless you are vulnerable because of other medical conditions you're biggest risks are still normal ordinary flu 

Lissie, I have to disagree. The speed that this virus is spreading and the facts that there is no vaccine, and treatments are at the early stage suggest a wise person would be well advised to take extreme caution. When a national government quarantines a whole city, we should take that as an indication of the severity of the epidemic. Add to that the fact that the rapid global spread of this virus has been because infected people traveled to China and the two week incubation period suggest that there will be many and wide spread cases. And don't forget there is a high death rate with this contagion. I would take it very, very seriously. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Lissie, I have to disagree. The speed that this virus is spreading and the facts that there is no vaccine, and treatments are at the early stage suggest a wise person would be well advised to take extreme caution. When a national government quarantines a whole city, we should take that as an indication of the severity of the epidemic. Add to that the fact that the rapid global spread of this virus has been because infected people traveled to China and the two week incubation period suggest that there will be many and wide spread cases. And don't forget there is a high death rate with this contagion. I would take it very, very seriously. 

Particularly given the average age of cruisers tends to be higher, and it definitely is adversely affecting older people.

48 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The US CDC has issue a level 3 alert, avoid all unnecessary travel to China. That's a serious response

Will UK follow  suit

Will this include Hong Kong 

Yes. The Foreign Office has just updated its advice to warn against all but essential travel to mainland China following the coronavirus outbreak.

2 hours ago, hypercafe said:

I would be very afraid to call on Hong Kong or any port in China now. If one sick person got on/back to the ship it could infect many onboard. Also any food taken onboard could be subject.

Its not transmitted via food - its transmitted by live animals and humans 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

For the moment the Foreign Office advisory doesn't include Hong Kong

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

There's a polictical element to the US and UK reaction. I note that neither NZ nor Australia (and we are much closer) have followed suit. https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/news-and-updates/novel-coronavirus-outbreak 

Its clearly a bad idea to go to live animal markets - but most tourists wouldn't go to those anyways. Here's a sensible article about the real risks https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/27/what-is-coronavirus-symptoms-sars-china-wuhan 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

China is very different. I've spent weeks in Chinese hospitals when my partner collapsed with  serious high altitude pulmonary odema - I saw some interesting thing. He was semi-conscious and struggling to breath when we arrived in hospital. On at least 3 times  with different doctors and translators I was cross examined as to how we'd got to Lanzhou. They  were really,really concerned we'd come via Vietnam or Hong Kong or Macau. Luckily we'd come via Shanghai and only been in country  for a week.  I could prove our direct flight from NZ using our passport stamps. This made them very relieved - I can only assume because they were worried about SARS or something similar. We were also cross-examined about TB - I'm pretty sure they talked to our insurance company to support our claim that we were both immunized against it - apparently  that has only been a recent thing in China and a person in their 60s wouldn't be immune in China. Again huge relief. In other words they know a lot about and take respiratory diseases very seriously - and have more experience in it than the west . 

We were transferred to Beijing and had the same conversations again.  You see temperature monitoring points in lots of Chinese airports and train stations. 

During Chinese New Year - normally about 50%  of the population travels home. If Wuhan hadn't locked down quickly the whole of China would have been exposed because of the unfortunate timing. Plus its a police state - they CAN lock down a city without riots - can't imagine that happening anywhere else in the world to be honest. 

• Like 2

Taking of temperatures only indicates someone that is actually symptomatic. Since the incubation period has been said to be anything up to 14 days, people are contagious before showing any symptoms themselves. 

I, and more importantly my husband, who knows FAR more than I, continue to hope Cunard will make changes or even better cancel our voyage altogether.

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Plus its a police state - they CAN lock down a city without riots - can't imagine that happening anywhere else in the world to be honest. 

That is a good point re China being a police state. I could well imagine the uproar here in Australia if they tried to isolate one of our regional towns like Kalgoorlie. 

I think it is wise to be careful but not over-react.

A couple of things that come to mind...

When I last had an overnight and then disembarked in Hong Kong in January 2018 it was flu season. Every time when we went through the cruise terminal they were frequently monitoring your temperature. I remember two mechanical checkpoints and one human checkpoint.

Having done a few long voyages I have to be extra careful when I am sailing during Northern Hemisphere winter. I have asthma and even though I am quite fit I have had a couple of occasions on cruises where I have picked up a severe respiratory illness due to the flu season from the northern hemisphere. I always get my flu vaccination but it doesn't always help. I just got the pneumovax vaccine even though I am under 65, hopefully that will help.

Julie

9 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

That is a good point re China being a police state. I could well imagine the uproar here in Australia if they tried to isolate one of our regional towns like Kalgoorlie. 

After the finish line of the Boston Marathon was bombed, the police locked down parts of Boston for a day. By and large the public realized that murderers were on the loose and ultimately they were captured.

My point is that it can happen anywhere if the decision makers believe that public safety dictates.

17 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Kalgoorlie is what - 20,000 pop - Wuhan is 11 Million .... 

The scale of the people in China is as mind-boggling  as the  empty distances in outback Oz!  

6 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

After the finish line of the Boston Marathon was bombed, the police locked down parts of Boston for a day. By and large the public realized that murderers were on the loose and ultimately they were captured.

My point is that it can happen anywhere if the decision makers believe that public safety dictates.

Sincerely doubt that it  would happen in Oz or NZ - particularly with an invisible threat like disease.