Updates from the Coral on Jan 21-Feb 6 Antartica Voyage

gottagocit

Having followed both recent “Live From” threads from the Corals Antarctic voyages and gaining lots of helpful information from those posting in them I thought I’d at least post a few updates as the Coral traverses the same route from Buenos Aires to Santiago via Antarctica for the final time this summer season. 

At the BA airport the line to get through passport control was long and I believe our wait was around 40 minutes. Baggage claim was a breeze however as most bags were already removed for the belt and placed in rows on the floor nearby. Immigration was smooth if you have nothing to declare. 

We stayed 2 nights at the Carles Hotel Buenos Aires. It’s a small but very comfortable small eight story hotel in a good location that’s within walking distance of many restaurants, shops and the pedestrian only “Florida” Street. For $50 USD (up to 3 passengers snd their bags per auto) they arranged to have a driver meet us near the Mcdonalds just beyond immigration and he was there as promised. The transfer is charged to your room for payment later at checkout using cc so no need for foreign currency upon arrival. (Which is a good things as Argentina is the only country we have visited where we could not obtain currency before departing the USA - due to wild swings in value I’m told). The ride to the hotel took about 45 minutes. The hotel staff is happy to hold your bags if your room isn’t ready when you arrive and to do so again after noon check out if you aren’t going directly to the ship. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The breakfast was very good with many tables to picks from. There is no restaurant or bar in the hotel so plan accordingly.  We walked over 4 miles after check in on Sunday morning and another 6 on Monday.

With check out at 12:00 we opted to proceed directly to the terminal. After asking the front desk to call a taxi the wait was around 7-8 minutes. The ride to the port was only about 5-10 minutes and cost about $8 USD. We arrived at around 12:20. They drop you at the front of the terminal building very near the front door. They were just starting to allow passengers to board but there was a pretty large crowd of people in the waiting area. With priority boarding our wait was only about 15-20 minutes before our group number was called. After checking in and clearing security screening we were taken to buses that drove us to the actual ship loading area of the commercial port area. You can’t walk this portion on your own. Our cabins were ready when we arrived onboard. 

We made Montevideo as scheduled on our first full day and weather was excellent. We did not have excursion booked there so our family/friends group of 5 walked the route recommended in a local map leading throughout the town. There always seemed to be a shady side of the street which helped to keep it from being too hot. I believe the high was around 89 degrees. The ship docked right in town with a short easy walk to local shops and eateries. 

I will come back in a bit and post an update for Stanley. 

Chris

Edited by gottagocit
  • Like 1

Glad you are posting as I will be especially curious about your Antarctic experience.  I am still in withdrawal from our time on the Coral.

Here's hoping that you have good weather, make all of your posts, and especially that you get your 4 days in Antarctica!  Enjoy your cruise.

16 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Glad you are posting as I will be especially curious about your Antarctic experience.  I am still in withdrawal from our time on the Coral.

Here's hoping that you have good weather, make all of your posts, and especially that you get your 4 days in Antarctica!  Enjoy your cruise.

Did they offer anything for losing the 2 days?

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

Did they offer anything for losing the 2 days?

No, we received $75 in "goodwill" OBC each for the initial itinerary changes (loss of Punta Arenas and substitution of Puerto Montt).  We also received a refund of port fees which is pretty normal.  The Captain told us we would see everything that we would have otherwise seen and allegedly that is what they delivered so I don't think they felt they needed to compensate us further.  What we saw was amazing, I just think that we missed out on lingering at some of the awesome sites.

Edited to add:  The compressed schedule also meant some late night / early morning viewing of some of the attractions so it did mess with our sleep and dining schedules too.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

No, we received $75 in "goodwill" OBC each for the initial itinerary changes (loss of Punta Arenas and substitution of Puerto Montt).  We also received a refund of port fees which is pretty normal.  The Captain told us we would see everything that we would have otherwise seen and allegedly that is what they delivered so I don't think they felt they needed to compensate us further.  What we saw was amazing, I just think that we missed out on lingering at some of the awesome sites.

Got it! I had hoped they would have done a little bit more for you. Glad you were able to make the most of your 2 days.

• Like 1

I am also currently aboard the coral

the weather in Stanley was not bad and water shuttles not rocky at all

currently we are at sea heading to Antarctica. It is 8C. Wind 14kts . So far temperatures on ship have been very pleasant 

• Like 1

We are currently onboard too. We have been so lucky with the weather and sea conditions so far. Its always been warm enough for a stroll round the deck. Today is mild and calm seas even though we are crossing Drakes Passage.  We seem to be doing good time too. 

After leaving Montevideo we enjoyed two seas days with mostly sunny skies and mild seas. The temperatures began drifting lower but was not yet cold enough to be a problem. 

On the morning we arrived in Stanley we were very fortunate to have almost no wind at all in the bay where we we dropped anchor and therefore had as smooth of a 20 minute tender ride to shore as we could hope for. 

With there being 3 ships in port carrying over 4,500 passengers we were very fortunate to have secured reservations with Patrick Watts even when we booked some 15 months prior to our arrival. On shore Patrick stood at the end of the pier where the tender dropped us and patiently checked in each person by name who had booked with him. Once everyone was present he introduced each group of 4 to their driver and sent them on their way. Understand that autos can not carry more than 4 passengers and a driver so if you have a number different that 4 in your group you will be placed in an auto with others you may not know. Not an issue for most but something to know. 

Most of the 4x4’s were late model Toyota land rovers, Nissan, or other full size suvs with a few older models mixed in. Each group left the port area on their own when everyone was loaded up into their assigned auto. The first 1/2 hour or so on a paved road followed by another 1/2 hour or so on a semi smooth gravel road.

Approximately half way to volunteer point each auto stops at the entrance of a farm where there are restrooms. There is also an honor system “Bake Safe” where you can select from an assortment of home made cub cakes, brownies and other snacks while leaving a payment you feel is appropriate for the item chosen. After a short break all the other 4x4’s have arrived and within a few minutes everyone loads up again and the convoy of 10-12 autos take off across the farms open terrain where there are no roads. For the next hour or so you cover 13 miles over very uneven and rocky fields, ditches and slopes covered in roughly two feet of peat topped with some grass and other plants.

The ground, though surprisingly dry after two days of rain, is spongy from the peat below as the tires move over it and only the oversized wide tires keep the autos from sinking up to the axles. Occasionally a makeshift “bridge” composed of boards or metal pieces provide means to cross narrow shallow drainage trenches or other wet spots. This section is very uneven and is covered very slowly. You will rock side to side almost continuously and you’ll feel like you’re on a rough ride at the fair. Since there are no roads a designated lead auto selects the exact route and everyone follows him/her. We were told each passage is along a slightly different route to avoid severely rutting up the farmland. There are occasion gates in barbed wire fences that are opened by the lead auto driver and closed by the last one in the convoy. 

After arriving at Volunteer Point each auto stops and everyone momentarily exits in order to “wash” the soles of their shoes in a small pool of soapy water in a shallow concrete bath before climbing back into the auto and proceeding another hundred yards to the parking area. This procedure is repeated as you leave the site later.

After parking a sandy beach is on the left and the colonies of king and gentoo penguins can be seen approximately 300-500 meters to the right along a small plateau. Important to note there ARE bathrooms at the parking area. Don’t expect anything fancy but they do serve the purpose. 

The drivers remain in the parking area and you are allowed walk to the colonies and can spend the next 1 1/2 - 2 hours on your own taking as many photos as you like. The ground was not wet or muddy at all however there are countless piles of droppings to avoid but we did not find that difficult. I suppose if it was raining it could get slightly muddy but not very bad I think. 

It’s so worth the rough ride to see, and hear, the colony of penguins. If you’ve never seen it, it’s simply an amazing and unforgettable experience. Some of the drivers wonder around through the tourists and ensure you do not approach the animals closer than 20 feet. If while you’re taking photos a penguins approaches you, you are allowed to remain still and photo them but do not touch or feed them. This happened several times with some young gentle actually pecking gently at the feet of some looking for a meal. 

You must return to the parking area at a specified time or few minutes earlier if you want to eat the provided light meal consisting of a sandwich, bag of chips, bottle of water and snack bar before departing on the bumpy ride. It’s best to eat this before scheduled departure time. You will also be asked to pay for your tour as this point, in cash. You’ll pay the lead driver but save your tip, if you chose to give one, for your specific driver. 

We were so fortunate again with regards to the weather. On the way to the point the few wind mills we passed stood silent and motionless but while we were visited with the penguins winds did pick up and made it much cooler feeling than the 45 degrees we had when we first arrived. On the way back to town most of the windmills were spinning fast. I almost left my jacket in the 4x4 but was so glad I didn’t. Wearing a long sleeved undershirt and flannel like outer shirt I was completely comfortable until the winds began blowing. The coat and gloves were needed after that. 

Overall I will say the tour is certainly worth the effort and cost to do. Patrick seems to be extremely organized with his reservations and email replies and update. Our driver, Naomi was very good and seemed experienced with off-road driving. She provided insights to the area and tour along the way and was happy to answer typical tourist questions. 

We were back in town at precisely 3:00 pm as expected and had a little over 2 hours to explore the small town before getting in line for the tender back to the ship when the final tender was to be at 5:30. I would not be concerned about doing this tour independently outside (as we did) if Princes sells out or to save money as the organization works well and during key parts of our trip the autos travel in a group to ensure no one is left stranded should they get stuck or breakdown. No one did on this trip. There is sufficient time to allow for this without impacting our making all aboard time. If you simply can’t handle the bumpy ride there is another option. Recently a company has started carrying people to the remote site in a Robinson helicopter and dropping them on a nearby knoll. During our visit it took off and landed 3-4 times so I think they had far less time inside than we did.  

I’ll come back later with more updates,

Chris

• Like 3

Seas have remained very smooth considering where we are cruising. While is some rolling waves there haven been much in the way of white caps. The captain gave an hour long presentation in a packed princess theater where he described in detail the route we will take over the next 4 days as we approach and sail through the Antarctic peninsula region. Excellent discussion! Afterwards other officers joined him for an hour of Q&A about the ship, our route and about anything Princess. 
We crossed the conversion zone between the southern ocean and the Atlantic this afternoon. By sunset the fog was thick as could be. We should arrive near elephant island around 11:00 am tomorrow. 

Chris

• Like 1

The water is almost like glass this morning. It’s simply amazing. The only movement is a slow short rolling wave motion that gently rocks the ship. 
We are about 5 miles from elephant island. A heavy fog blanket is all around us but the captain believes will soon lift as we get close to Valentine beach bay. 
A strong front is barreling from the west but after Elephant Island we are planning to cross the Bransfield Strait and get into Antarctic Sound before it passes between the two.  Then we will again cross the BS to King George Island in the wake of the storm, if all goes as planned. 

Air temperature is about 37 degrees F I believe. 

Chris

Edited by gottagocit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vampiress said:

this sounds amazing.  following along.  do you have any pictures of penguins to share?

I do have quite a lot of them but am unable to upload photos at this time due to our location. The internet is limited as we are so far south that we have limited satellite coverage. I will try to add a couple once we leave Antarctica and move towards South America in a few days. 

for anyone interested our current position is:

61 deg 09.36 S

54 deg 20.52 W

Course is 94 deg
At 9.0 knots 

Chris 

Thank you so much for this. We are sailing on March 5th on the Coral and we are so excited, even though it is a month away. Do you know if they have a book club meeting planned this trip. If someplace along the line you find out please let me know if it is possible. 

3 hours ago, Shaver John said:

Thank you so much for this. We are sailing on March 5th on the Coral and we are so excited, even though it is a month away. Do you know if they have a book club meeting planned this trip. If someplace along the line you find out please let me know if it is possible. 

There was a Book Club held on most sea days on our cruise earlier this month.  The books this month were Finding Chika and The Dutch House.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:15 PM, gottagocit said:

After leaving Montevideo we enjoyed two seas days with mostly sunny skies and mild seas. The temperatures began drifting lower but was not yet cold enough to be a problem. 

On the morning we arrived in Stanley we were very fortunate to have almost no wind at all in the bay where we we dropped anchor and therefore had as smooth of a 20 minute tender ride to shore as we could hope for. 

With there being 3 ships in port carrying over 4,500 passengers we were very fortunate to have secured reservations with Patrick Watts even when we booked some 15 months prior to our arrival. On shore Patrick stood at the end of the pier where the tender dropped us and patiently checked in each person by name who had booked with him. Once everyone was present he introduced each group of 4 to their driver and sent them on their way. Understand that autos can not carry more than 4 passengers and a driver so if you have a number different that 4 in your group you will be placed in an auto with others you may not know. Not an issue for most but something to know. 

Most of the 4x4’s were late model Toyota land rovers, Nissan, or other full size suvs with a few older models mixed in. Each group left the port area on their own when everyone was loaded up into their assigned auto. The first 1/2 hour or so on a paved road followed by another 1/2 hour or so on a semi smooth gravel road.

Approximately half way to volunteer point each auto stops at the entrance of a farm where there are restrooms. There is also an honor system “Bake Safe” where you can select from an assortment of home made cub cakes, brownies and other snacks while leaving a payment you feel is appropriate for the item chosen. After a short break all the other 4x4’s have arrived and within a few minutes everyone loads up again and the convoy of 10-12 autos take off across the farms open terrain where there are no roads. For the next hour or so you cover 13 miles over very uneven and rocky fields, ditches and slopes covered in roughly two feet of peat topped with some grass and other plants.

The ground, though surprisingly dry after two days of rain, is spongy from the peat below as the tires move over it and only the oversized wide tires keep the autos from sinking up to the axles. Occasionally a makeshift “bridge” composed of boards or metal pieces provide means to cross narrow shallow drainage trenches or other wet spots. This section is very uneven and is covered very slowly. You will rock side to side almost continuously and you’ll feel like you’re on a rough ride at the fair. Since there are no roads a designated lead auto selects the exact route and everyone follows him/her. We were told each passage is along a slightly different route to avoid severely rutting up the farmland. There are occasion gates in barbed wire fences that are opened by the lead auto driver and closed by the last one in the convoy. 

After arriving at Volunteer Point each auto stops and everyone momentarily exits in order to “wash” the soles of their shoes in a small pool of soapy water in a shallow concrete bath before climbing back into the auto and proceeding another hundred yards to the parking area. This procedure is repeated as you leave the site later.

After parking a sandy beach is on the left and the colonies of king and gentoo penguins can be seen approximately 300-500 meters to the right along a small plateau. Important to note there ARE bathrooms at the parking area. Don’t expect anything fancy but they do serve the purpose. 

The drivers remain in the parking area and you are allowed walk to the colonies and can spend the next 1 1/2 - 2 hours on your own taking as many photos as you like. The ground was not wet or muddy at all however there are countless piles of droppings to avoid but we did not find that difficult. I suppose if it was raining it could get slightly muddy but not very bad I think. 

It’s so worth the rough ride to see, and hear, the colony of penguins. If you’ve never seen it, it’s simply an amazing and unforgettable experience. Some of the drivers wonder around through the tourists and ensure you do not approach the animals closer than 20 feet. If while you’re taking photos a penguins approaches you, you are allowed to remain still and photo them but do not touch or feed them. This happened several times with some young gentle actually pecking gently at the feet of some looking for a meal. 

You must return to the parking area at a specified time or few minutes earlier if you want to eat the provided light meal consisting of a sandwich, bag of chips, bottle of water and snack bar before departing on the bumpy ride. It’s best to eat this before scheduled departure time. You will also be asked to pay for your tour as this point, in cash. You’ll pay the lead driver but save your tip, if you chose to give one, for your specific driver. 

We were so fortunate again with regards to the weather. On the way to the point the few wind mills we passed stood silent and motionless but while we were visited with the penguins winds did pick up and made it much cooler feeling than the 45 degrees we had when we first arrived. On the way back to town most of the windmills were spinning fast. I almost left my jacket in the 4x4 but was so glad I didn’t. Wearing a long sleeved undershirt and flannel like outer shirt I was completely comfortable until the winds began blowing. The coat and gloves were needed after that. 

Overall I will say the tour is certainly worth the effort and cost to do. Patrick seems to be extremely organized with his reservations and email replies and update. Our driver, Naomi was very good and seemed experienced with off-road driving. She provided insights to the area and tour along the way and was happy to answer typical tourist questions. 

We were back in town at precisely 3:00 pm as expected and had a little over 2 hours to explore the small town before getting in line for the tender back to the ship when the final tender was to be at 5:30. I would not be concerned about doing this tour independently outside (as we did) if Princes sells out or to save money as the organization works well and during key parts of our trip the autos travel in a group to ensure no one is left stranded should they get stuck or breakdown. No one did on this trip. There is sufficient time to allow for this without impacting our making all aboard time. If you simply can’t handle the bumpy ride there is another option. Recently a company has started carrying people to the remote site in a Robinson helicopter and dropping them on a nearby knoll. During our visit it took off and landed 3-4 times so I think they had far less time inside than we did.  

I’ll come back later with more updates,

Chris

I think this is a great / perfect description of the trip  

i would also add I would not hesitate to use Patrick watts again.  So far for me this was the trip highlight 

• Like 1