Passport Questions

Lightning85

9 hours ago, Lightning85 said:

I'm not getting off the ship till I get back to Miami...Doesn't sound fair.  This is my last cruise too.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t get off the ship at all.  When you’re in a country’s territorial waters, you’re considered IN that country.   Your passport must be valid for this cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

Costco does them. And I got some from just a little photo gallery in a strip mall.

I was more remembering difficulties in the past that I had in our small neighborhood as opposed to what I do now.  I get them from a nearby CVS, only a few blocks walk from our apartment.  Remember, in NYC we don't drive to get to such places!  (I have a close friend from grammar school (born and raised in L.A.) who can't imagine how I do grocery shopping if I don't drive to the store ... I said the magic words "shopping cart" but she still doesn't understand ...)

Anyway, after my local photography shop closed down some years ago, there were several years when finding a place to get the passport photos was not so easy.  Our post office is the main Brooklyn NY post office and they do have a passport section ... but I've never seen a facility for doing photos there.

That's not of import since it's a much longer walk to get to the Post Office than the CVS!

Mura

1 hour ago, Lightning85 said:

Guess I'll be going to the passport office Monday. Thanks everyone.  Better believe that after more than a dozen  cruises and this being my first glitch, I'LL RENENBER.  Thanks again.......Gary

You do tend to remember once you go through this ... as we did, too, after our failed Norway cruise because DH's passport expired too early!

There's another option depending on available time and the port.  I mention this as an option, NOT a recommendation!

Several years ago we had a cruise leaving from Miami.  We had a 7:30 am flight from JFK to Miami -- this was one of the few times we were using O's air because of the open jaw problem and at first I was extremely unhappy with a 7:30 flight when there were lots of flights leaving around 11am.  But this turned out to be a good thing ...

Because on Saturday morning I discovered that I couldn't find my passport.  I found the forms online but the Passport Agency didn't have people working and the automated system gave me an appointment time the following Thursday -- when we'd have been around the Canary Islands were we on the ship.

So we had a friend pick us up at the Miami airport and we went straight to the Passport Bureau in Miami.  They want you to have an appointment but it isn't absolutely essential.  Yes, we spent much of the day there.  But I had all the forms filled out and we got it done in time.

Although doing it this way can be bad for your ulcer, and not every departure port has a Passport Bureau.  I don't think I'd try this in Manhattan but it worked out well (in the end) in Miami.

We WERE one of the two last couples to get to the ship ... the other late arrivals had been delayed because of a snowstorm in Boston that caused flight delays ... but we all made it.

Mura

5 minutes ago, Mura said:

I discovered that I couldn't find my passport.

That really triggers 'make me sick' sympathies 😞 Decades ago I bought Bob a nice leather 'document case' and the passports should never leave that unless I'm entering info into flight info or the like. But it still scares me. Years and years ago we were traveling to Mexico and Bob didn't bring his passport. He used to spend work time in El Paso and it wasn't necessary when driving over. But it was for flying. We were connecting through LAXand also went to an office there where basically he swore that he was an American citizen. I'm guessing nowadays that wouldn't work. And, hey, he lived to enjoy the trip. LOL.

3 hours ago, Lightning85 said:

Guess I'll be going to the passport office Monday. Thanks everyone.  Better believe that after more than a dozen  cruises and this being my first glitch, I'LL RENENBER.  Thanks again.......Gary

Glad you can get this sorted and that you found out now rather than like those Yikes! adventures of Mura's.

Hope you have a nice relaxing trip after all this

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

And we used to live in SF 🙂

Yes, I suppose a similar problem!  In L.A. we expected to take the car for shopping expeditions.  Or at least we did when I lived there!  When my Mom died we briefly entertained the idea of buying out my sister's interest in Mom's house and moving there.  But the house is in Brentwood, about a mile north of Sunset Blvd.  We'd both have to have cars ... And then it turned out not to be possible anyway!

Mura

Oceania is only mandating you to conform to US travel advisories. 

As you are a "well traveled" citizen you should have been aware of this requirement for years. 

January is a peak month for passport applications and renewals and those who have advised you of expediting your renewal application are giving you good advice.

Good luck and have a great cruise, because you will.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I absolutely would (and have) used expedited svc directly with the State Dept when renewing a passport. You can send certified or express if you feel the need for extra speed (pretty sure you can even send UPS or Fedex if you want). Why give an agency money when I can do it just as well myself. YOU might not follow that advice, but it's not BAD advice. That's merely your opinion.

I would never trust the State Department.  I have done over 20 renewals, as I have multiple passports.  My last renewal on my 10 year (done thru a passport service ) had an error in it and misspelled my last name.  On pickup by the agency they noticed it and it was immediately corrected.    So go down there directly (like op is doing) or use an expeditor if you have a tight deadline. 

It's no use arguing with someone who is happy with their solution. I am likewise happy with my different solution. I don't have 20 renewals (only 1 passport) but I have had active passports since I was 6 years old, so I've been around the block a few times re: renewing them. 

On 1/26/2020 at 9:33 AM, Lightning85 said:

Today is the 26th of January and I only got my travel Doc's yesterday.   Was never told of the 6 month rule by the Oceania rep when I booked.  Just found out yesterday.  Not sure I can get it back before the cruise on 11 March.

My TA tells me every time, and she knows when ours expires. There might be 9 years left on it and she still tells me. 

In all our docs, it says it must be valid for 6 months past sailing date (which is also a requirement of many international travel destinations as people have mentioned) or you will be refused boarding. 

Also some overland tours require at least 2-3 blank pages, so when you renew (and we did our photos at Costco, FYI be sure to wear some shirt other than white as the white shirt photos can be rejected by the passport issuing entity--the Costco guy gave me a Costco shirt to just put on for the photo) it's probably a good idea to just check the box for expanded passport book pages (no extra charge) so that may be a good idea to just to have the bigger page book from the renewal.  Even if you never use them, you have them.

Really shocked that people expect to be told everything needed for them to cruise/leave the US.  There are so many things that have to be done in order to cruise and cannot expect the O clerks and/or your TA to mention everyone of those issues.  Have to take some responsibility yourself rather than blaming others for not informing you of everything necessary for your vacation.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Really shocked that people expect to be told everything needed for them to cruise/leave the US.  There are so many things that have to be done in order to cruise and cannot expect the O clerks and/or your TA to mention everyone of those issues.  Have to take some responsibility yourself rather than blaming others for not informing you of everything necessary for your vacation.

Passports have always been required to any and all international travel  with sone exceptions in North America where vaild ID and a birthcert.  could be used.       We all know or should know that.

But please do not forget the change this coming October 2020 ( as far as I know correct) where  a Passport or special approved ID  will be required just to get on airplanes or ships  traveling even in the USA.

Without these  new ID's   you will be stuck at home and pretty much prohibited from many forms of transportation !        States are issuing new special ID  that can be used for USA travel, but not for international travel. So...if your reading these forums and every want to sail anywhere or fly it will be mandatory to have a Passport....   Without it your "tubed"

I had this same issue with a recent Princess cruise. My cruise was 1/11-18 and my passport expired 7/10. Booked last minute and worried there would not be time to renew. Luckily I was able to use DL and BC. After returning I renewed by mail paying for expedited service, and expedited mail fee, I mailed the renewal packet 1/22 and received my new passport 2/2. That timing would have been sufficient to have renewed before the cruise but That would have caused me great anxiety. 
I would like to also note that while some foreign countries require 6 month validity, my cruise was to Mexico and both Mexico an USA are valid upon entry countries. Princess (and other cruise and air lines) policy however is 6 month validity.  I think it is stupid that a valid non-expired passport is not valid, but I don’t get to make the rules. I think this is what causes a lot of issues, people think their passport is valid because it has not expired. I don’t think that is unreasonable thinking at all. 

Edited by imescaping
Added

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the 6 month rule should probably be universal, or at least as universal as it could be.  More people might be aware of the rule in that case.

I also understand why it should be a rule.  For many people that means having to renew your passport at least some months before it expires.  True, U.S. passports are valid for a longer period these days, but even so ...

Now, I also can see why governments want this 6 month rule to be the case.  A close friend was in Brussels on a business trip a number of years ago.  The cab he was riding in to go to his hotel upon arrival was hit head-on by another driver who had a heart attack.  That driver died in the accident, but Craig nearly died as well.  He had to extricated from the cab by the "jaws of life".  He was in the hospital there for a lengthy amount of time in a coma (I don't recall how much time exactly) but it was at least 2 months.  What if his passport had expired during that time?  I can see where special measures could have been taken in such a case ... but perhaps it would have been very difficult.

Mura 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mura said:

What if his passport had expired during that time?  I can see where special measures could have been taken in such a case 

Not to demean what happened to your friend.  But what if cows had wings?  We can't anticipate everything and sometimes S%&T happens.  When it does we deal with it.  Had the passport expired you go to the Embassy and get a temporary.  I'm a total planner and will probably get mine renewed a year before it expires.  But that's just me.    

We had passports stolen last year in Bahamas and nobody really cared when we came back through Miami seaport.  CBP just asked a few questions, said "report it to State Department", and "welcome back."  

I still can't understand the six month rule.  I'm sure at one time it made sense, like when ocean travel was by sailing ship, but today what plausible explanation can there be for my passport to be valid six months AFTER I GET HOME?   Why a rule for some countries and not other?  Just saying?  

I'm just trying to look at both sides.  I also have renewed early just to be safe ... but we were stuck with this 6 month rule when DH's passport expired 5 months before we wanted to book a last minute cruise.  At least we hadn't booked yet!  But we *were* disappointed.  That was the only time we were stuck with this.

Don't think I support the 6 month rule because I don't.  I think that in normal circumstances an expiration date should be an expiration date!

I also had a passport stolen as we were about to leave Prague.  Fortunately I realized the problem in time to get to the Embassy (or was it the Consulate?) and get my passport replaced in time to leave for Paris the next day.  But until that passport expired I had problems with computer systems accepting it ... something about that number that shows at the bottom of your passport.  It did NOT on my new one.

(And you don't want to know what the Israeli's did with it when we returned to Israel from Jordan!)

It was never such a problem that we were delayed in travel ... but it did cause some anxious moments.  With today's passports, that problem does not exist.  At least, it hasn't for us.

5 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I still can't understand the six month rule.  I'm sure at one time it made sense, like when ocean travel was by sailing ship, but today what plausible explanation can there be for my passport to be valid six months AFTER I GET HOME?     Just saying? 

I am with you on that one.

Ditto for Passenger Services Act (aka Jones Act) - ancient history

Edited by Paulchili

To enter the EU you only need a 3 month validity from the date you plan on leaving.

To reenter the US you just need a valid passport.

I have two passports -- up until 4 years ago the second passport was valid only for 2 years.  Was really a pain since in effect it is valid only for 18 months.   Now at least they changed the rule and issue a 4 year passport.

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

I have two passports -- up until 4 years ago the second passport was valid only for 2 years.  Was really a pain since in effect it is valid only for 18 months.   Now at least they changed the rule and issue a 4 year passport.

If I may ask, is the second one for Middle East?

On 2/6/2020 at 7:27 AM, Hawaiidan said:

October 2020

I've read here or elsewhere of those who say "I've never flown and will never." I've pointed out that one could have an emergency that would require one to fly.