Cruise Critic Community
cruisegal415

Getting around Edinburgh

We are doing our own thing in Edinburgh on an upcoming British Isles cruise the end of May/beginning of June.  We're docking at South Queensferry at 7, need to tender over to Edinburgh, our first outing is to the Yacht Britannia, which is in Ocean Terminal in Leith.  Next we will be going to Edinburgh Castle, then in the mid-afternoon, we are taking a "Harry Potter" tour of the city, where we need to meet our tour on High Street.  We will need to taxi over to these places, due to time constraints (we have tickets between 12 and 1:30 for the castle, so we are planning on getting to the Yacht Britannia when it opens at 9:30 in order to have time to see that then get to the castle by noon) and our Harry Potter tour is at 3 pm.

Will we have difficulty finding a taxi when we get off the tender? DO they have Uber or Lyft in Scotland? Will we be able to get a taxi from Ocean Terminal or should we plan on having the number of a taxi service and calling them? Can we walk from the castle to High Street? Will we be able to find a taxi back to the tender?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Will we have difficulty finding a taxi when we get off the tender? DO they have Uber or Lyft in Scotland? Will we be able to get a taxi from Ocean Terminal or should we plan on having the number of a taxi service and calling them?

They do have Uber in Edinburgh but I'm not sure, but don't think, they have Lyft. You have a very tight day planned-- I would have built in a little bit more wiggle time.

Can we walk from the castle to High Street?

It depends where on High Street. But it isn't far to get close to it-- just really depends on where you need to meet. 

Will we be able to find a taxi back to the tender?

Will most likely be able to Uber back. 

13 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

We are doing our own thing in Edinburgh on an upcoming British Isles cruise the end of May/beginning of June.  We're docking at South Queensferry at 7, need to tender over to Edinburgh, our first outing is to the Yacht Britannia, which is in Ocean Terminal in Leith.  Next we will be going to Edinburgh Castle, then in the mid-afternoon, we are taking a "Harry Potter" tour of the city, where we need to meet our tour on High Street.  We will need to taxi over to these places, due to time constraints (we have tickets between 12 and 1:30 for the castle, so we are planning on getting to the Yacht Britannia when it opens at 9:30 in order to have time to see that then get to the castle by noon) and our Harry Potter tour is at 3 pm.

13 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Will we have difficulty finding a taxi when we get off the tender? DO they have Uber or Lyft in Scotland? Will we be able to get a taxi from Ocean Terminal or should we plan on having the number of a taxi service and calling them? Can we walk from the castle to High Street? Will we be able to find a taxi back to the tender?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

There are usually taxis there first thing. The taxi rank is to the right, about 50 yards past the lifeboat station after  the pier gates. The village is called South Queensferry and Edinburgh is about 9-10 miles away. 

Uber is available in Edinburgh and may be useful for your return journey probably but not from South Queensferry. 

The High Street is part of the Royal Mile so 5-10 minutes walk downhill from the Castle.  

There is a taxi rank at Ocean Terminal where The Royal Yacht Britannia is situated. If there isn't one there when you need it, the website says Customer Services will phone one for you  or you could get the phone number for the company which takes you into Edinburgh. It will almost certainly be one of the two large companies with hundreds of taxis each. 

Sounds like you're going to have a VERY busy day 

Very helpful suggestions.  Thank you.  We like to keep busy on days in port.  Which of these would you recommend eliminating if this is too much for one day? I guess we could skip the Britannia, I thought it might be interesting, though, and just go to Edinburgh Castle in the morning and then do the walking tour in the afternoon.  

I had thought, Britannia opens at 9:30, go there by 9:30, then allow two hours, then get to the Castle (we have a 12-1:30 time slot so we can get there any time between those times), so maybe be at the Castle from 12-2 (is that not enough time?) then meet the walking tour at 3.  Am I not leaving enough travel time?

18 hours ago,  cruisegal415 said: 

Can we walk from the castle to High Street?

It depends where on High Street. But it isn't far to get close to it-- just really depends on where you need to meet. 

We are to meet the walking tour by the Tron Kirk, in front of Frankie & Benny's on 130 High Street. 

1 hour ago, cruisegal415 said:

Am I not leaving enough travel time?

You're leaving JUST enough travel time but not accounting in case you get slowed down or something you aren't anticipating happens. You'll just need to tour at a decent clip to get it all in.  

Its a balance between seeing something and getting best value from what you are seeing.  I'm sure you can see Britannia and the Castle in 2 hour visits each, but we were on Britannia for almost four hours.

It's not large, but when it opened it was quiet and we took our time to take it in as it is so interesting.  I could happily go back and do it again for as long.

Despite lots of visits to Edinburgh I haven't done the castle for over 30 years.  However that is large and I'm sure a couple of hours wouldn't do it justice.

3 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Very helpful suggestions.  Thank you.  We like to keep busy on days in port.  Which of these would you recommend eliminating if this is too much for one day? I guess we could skip the Britannia, I thought it might be interesting, though, and just go to Edinburgh Castle in the morning and then do the walking tour in the afternoon.  

I had thought, Britannia opens at 9:30, go there by 9:30, then allow two hours, then get to the Castle (we have a 12-1:30 time slot so we can get there any time between those times), so maybe be at the Castle from 12-2 (is that not enough time?) then meet the walking tour at 3.  Am I not leaving enough travel time?

The Royal Yacht is out of the centre and is quite small and I'd say 2 hours would be long enough. I've been a few times and always enjoy it.  It's not at all regal - more English Country house at sea! You will just about get to the Castle in 30 minutes but there are lots of roadworks in that part of town at present so I'm avoiding it. The Castle is vast but at least at that time of year the queues won't be too long for the Crown jewels etc. I'd give it at least 2.5 hours and then it's just a short walk down the hill to the start of your walk. 

The Harry Potter Tour is quite interesting, maybe not something that would be a must-do for me, but each to their own.  You see the inspiration for Hogwarts - (George Heriot's School) Diagon Alley (Victoria Street), the coffee shop where she allegedly wrote the first book and Greyfriars Kirkyard which provided the inspiration for the characters. I'm just a bit worried that you'll be rushing around and not really have a relaxed view of anything.  

The quickest way to get back to South Queensferry in the rush hour (which it will be!) would be to take the train from Edinburgh Waverley to Dalmeny (South Queensferry's station). It's about 10 minutes walk down hill from there to the pier. 

9 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

I would personally skip the Britannia, once you're in Edinburgh proper, there's so much to see & do that it's a really full day (we had almost a week there,  it was not enough)   another nice thing is that it's all completely walkable.  (a long as you're reasonably fit, of course)

15 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I would personally skip the Britannia, once you're in Edinburgh proper, there's so much to see & do that it's a really full day (we had almost a week there,  it was not enough)   another nice thing is that it's all completely walkable.  (a long as you're reasonably fit, of course)

Maybe then we should eliminate the Britannia and move our time slot for the Castle up a couple of hours, if possible.

16 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I personally don't agree here at all-- Britannia is a great couple hours. If you want to see something connected to the Royal family and you are interested in Britains maritime heritage I think the yacht is more interesting than say the Palace of Holyroodhouse. 

15 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I personally don't agree here at all-- Britannia is a great couple hours. If you want to see something connected to the Royal family and you are interested in Britains maritime heritage I think the yacht is more interesting than say the Palace of Holyroodhouse. 

it's not that it's not interesting it's that they are on a super limited time frame.   I think scrambling to try and fit in too much is never a good plan....  & personally I skipped Holyroodhouse as well ;)

I'd keep Britannia and The Castle but skip the Harry Potter if I had just one short day, but it all depends on your personal interests. As a cruiser I love Britannia and can appreciate why the Queen enjoyed it so much.