Oceania vs Silversea

Marymcgol1

We have done a number of cruises, most on Royal Caribbean, but have also sailed on Celebrity, Princess and Holland America.  We are looking at two cruises with similar itineraries - one on Silver Spirit and one on Marina.  Looking for input on pros and cons of these two cruise lines.  Thanks in advance for any insight

20 hours ago, Marymcgol1 said:

We have done a number of cruises, most on Royal Caribbean, but have also sailed on Celebrity, Princess and Holland America.  We are looking at two cruises with similar itineraries - one on Silver Spirit and one on Marina.  Looking for input on pros and cons of these two cruise lines.  Thanks in advance for any insight

2 very very different products....O relaxed casual  and   the other   very formal.   O has superior meals and choices.  Silver sea drinks included.

12 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

2 very very different products....O relaxed casual  and   the other   very formal.   O has superior meals and choices.  Silver sea drinks included.

True - very different products.

Where Silversea shines (at least it used to) is a more personalized service - especially on their smaller ships.

For us Oceania wins every time as we like the food better and abhor the formal nights. We would cruise Silversea for a unique itinerary. As we don't drink I do not wish to pay the higher prices for included drinks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Just curious how would you know that?  When was your last Silversea cruise?

By reading silverseas own  literature  and talking to numerous guests...   O has 2 to 3 times the variety of venues,  for dining  and is rated superior by cruise experts...  Some things are more than obvious   Silver seas is designed for an entirely different market and demographic than O.  focused on service and formality..

12 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

" O has superior meals and choices.  Silver sea drinks included."

I'll have to dispute that. We have 19 'O cruises and have been big fans. Four months ago we were on the Silver Muse (2nd time) for 14 days. Two weeks later we were on the Insignia for 18 days and then on the Sirena in December. We actually found the food, attention to detail and the service on SS to be a notch above what we have recently experienced on O. And, as far as the variety of venues - SS had 8 separate dining venues ... including a small, intimate French DR, a Teppanyaki Grill, a small jazz-style dinner club ... and on and on ... with each venue providing great food, varied and extensive menus (far more variety than O) along with wonderful atmosphere. Yes, it is more formal than O but their food and the variety of venues IMHO surpasses O. I'm still a fan of O but see SS on the horizon as O seems to be "slipping" in a few areas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigmjh said:

I'll have to dispute that. We have 19 'O cruises and have been big fans. Four months ago we were on the Silver Muse (2nd time) for 14 days. Two weeks later we were on the Insignia for 18 days and then on the Sirena in December. We actually found the food, attention to detail and the service on SS to be a notch above what we have recently experienced on O. And, as far as the variety of venues - SS had 8 separate dining venues ... including a small, intimate French DR, a Teppanyaki Grill, a small jazz-style dinner club ... and on and on ... with each venue providing great food, varied and extensive menus (far more variety than O) along with wonderful atmosphere. Yes, it is more formal than O but their food and the variety of venues IMHO surpasses O. I'm still a fan of O but see SS on the horizon as O seems to be "slipping" in a few areas.

As you have obviously been on Silversea, is it true that on that cruise line:

(1) Although they have 8 restaurants, but some, like La Dame, you have to pay extra $60 per person?  Oceania's speciality restaurants, as most of us here know,  do not incur extra charges.

(2) Their meal portions are not generous, ie relatively small (one passenger complained it was "a joke")?

(3) Their menus in all Silversea restaurants remain the same throughout the cruise, and even for many months?

(4) If we remember correctly, there was comment that waiter service is very slow, and wrong meals served to wrong persons are frequent? They are so strict, that if you wish to make a request to slight variation to their restaurant menu, they would not accommodate you? Are these comments true?

(5) There is no buffet dining option in the evenings? So if you wish to have buffet or have a meal without waiting, too bad?

(6) As formality is high on their list, they have a very strict dress code? Not only does it change daily, it changes with different restaurants?

(7) They have more different types of ships than Oceania, so accommodation offerings are different?

(8) They include a butler for all cabins - good for some who wants them, but even if you do not want them, you have paid to have them ( Granted, Oceania is "guilty" in this for some of its higher cabins too!)?

(9) Is it true Silversea adds in your invoice a donation of $18 to their chosen cause, not yours, and without having the courtesy of asking you first?

(10) And do they try to give the impression to passengers that cruises like Oceania/Azamara/Viking are "beneath" them, as they'd prefer to compare themselves to Regent, etc? Are they really so "grand"?

(11) As their fares are generally higher than on Oceania, are they really worth the extra?

We did some research on Silversea, the verdict is still out, but at the moment, we have booked our next cruises with Oceania and with Azamara.  We also like Viking very much. We like luxury, but do not like the idea of living in a silver cage and being told that we should like something because the cruise line says so.

Edited by Gnoelj

8 hours ago, bigmjh said:

Well thats news to me....Thanks for the up-date I did not  know...only going from past.   I was referring to the O class  Marina and Riviera ...   to Silverseas small size.    my error. 

13 hours ago, Gnoelj said:

As you have obviously been on Silversea, is it true that on that cruise line:

(1) Although they have 8 restaurants, but some, like La Dame, you have to pay extra $60 per person?  Oceania's speciality restaurants, as most of us here know,  do not incur extra charges. Yes - there is a charge for a couple of the restaurants.

(2) Their meal portions are not generous, ie relatively small (one passenger complained it was "a joke")? I am a big guy with a "healthy" appetite 😄 and never found the portions to be small.

(3) Their menus in all Silversea restaurants remain the same throughout the cruise, and even for many months? The main dining room menu (a multi-page menu with many options) changes frequently. The specialty restaurants change about once a week and have more limited choices (such as on O)

(4) If we remember correctly, there was comment that waiter service is very slow, and wrong meals served to wrong persons are frequent? They are so strict, that if you wish to make a request to slight variation to their restaurant menu, they would not accommodate you? Are these comments true? Never experienced either of these service issues and we had tables for 2, 4 or 6. I might also say that this was the only cruise where I've had steaks still sizzling on the plate when they were served. As for special requests, no problem to "hold this", "add that" or anything else.

(5) There is no buffet dining option in the evenings? So if you wish to have buffet or have a meal without waiting, too bad? True ... no evening buffet.

(6) As formality is high on their list, they have a very strict dress code? Not only does it change daily, it changes with different restaurants?  Casual (similar to O's DR code), Informal - slacks w/sports coat or suit ... open collar, no tie for men, Formal - dark suit with tie or (rare) dinner jacket/tux for men. A couple al fresco venues are always "Casual", several other venues are "Informal" even in "Formal" nights in the MDR.

(7) They have more different types of ships than Oceania, so accommodation offerings are different? Comparing basic oceanview staterooms - Oceania's "R" class=165 sq ft and "O" class=242 sq ft. The newer SS ships are 334 sq ft and the older ones (Shadow & Whisper) are 287 sq ft ... the Spirit is 312 sq ft.

(8) They include a butler for all cabins - good for some who wants them, but even if you do not want them, you have paid to have them ( Granted, Oceania is "guilty" in this for some of its higher cabins too!)? Yes - all staterooms have a butler.

(9) Is it true Silversea adds in your invoice a donation of $18 to their chosen cause, not yours, and without having the courtesy of asking you first? We were advised upfront that SS supports a charity and given the option to cancel the charge ... which is very small compared to overall cost of the cruise.

(10) And do they try to give the impression to passengers that cruises like Oceania/Azamara/Viking are "beneath" them, as they'd prefer to compare themselves to Regent, etc? Are they really so "grand"? Can't comment as to Viking or Regent but IMHO I felt that SS was just a step above O and AZ.

(11) As their fares are generally higher than on Oceania, are they really worth the extra? With planning SS fares can be very comparable to O's on a per day basis. Are they worth it? Only you can make that determination.

We did some research on Silversea, the verdict is still out, but at the moment, we have booked our next cruises with Oceania and with Azamara.  We also like Viking very much. We like luxury, but do not like the idea of living in a silver cage and being told that we should like something because the cruise line says so.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well thats news to me....Thanks for the up-date I did not  know...only going from past.   I was referring to the O class  Marina and Riviera ...   to Silverseas small size.    my error. 

Silversea - size-wise - is more comparable to the 'R' class ships. Not including their smaller expedition ships, they vary from 298 to 596 (their newer ships) passengers.

17 hours ago, Gnoelj said:

Judging from the questions the writer asked, he/she may have done "some research", but not enough or they would have known more answers.  If they are truly interested  in Silversea, it would be wise to consult with a TA who works regularly with Silversea rather than relying on what one has read or heard.  

5 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Judging from the questions the writer asked, he/she may have done "some research", but not enough or they would have known more answers.  If they are truly interested  in Silversea, it would be wise to consult with a TA who works regularly with Silversea rather than relying on what one has read or heard.  

Instead of just making comments that my research is "not enough", it would have been more helpful if you could answer some of my queries if you have the information. That is the reason why I am on the discussion board on CruiseCritic, to find more answers. Besides, not every town in every country have a T/A  who works regularly with Silversea. I also prefer to hear it from the users rather than just a T/A.  I am afraid T/A are useful, but they are not the be all and end all in finding information, from my experience. Of course, you have every right to disagree.

• Like 3

Moral....Pick a cruise that fits your outlook. personality and life style... whether Carnival or Silversea.  everyone has in niche they feel most comfortable in....  That niche is to them perfection.   It is their reality and as such is totally correct for them..  YOU  need to apply your factors to what you want.  Each person thus has a different niche  and idea of luxury.

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 2:24 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Moral....Pick a cruise that fits your outlook. personality and life style... whether Carnival or Silversea.  everyone has in niche they feel most comfortable in....  That niche is to them perfection.   It is their reality and as such is totally correct for them..  YOU  need to apply your factors to what you want.  Each person thus has a different niche  and idea of luxury.

C'mon man. Friends don't let Friends cruise HAL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

You do have a valid point.....      HAL  =   Horrible Alternative  Line

That was what we had expected from HAL before I took a cruise with them. When we booked our HAL cruise, it was with a bit of "trepidation". But we needn't have been concerned, our HAL cruise was not horrible at all, in fact,  we were pleasantly surprised with it !  Dare we say that the standard of their entertainment and activities on board our HAL cruise was SUPERIOR to what we have experienced on cruises with Oceania.

The food on Oceania, on the whole, may be somewhat better, but then , as most of us know, food is very subjective to the individual. Even for food, the sea food on HAL tasted so fresh it had the "taste of the sea".  The HAL chef told me they got their supplies straight from their visiting ports.  The lobsters on Oceania, sometimes felt as if they had been just a wee bit too long in the fridge . Does anyone know if Oceania ships  take daily seafood supplies from their visiting ports or do they take all their stocks from their base in Miami?

We would now be just as happy going with HAL as well as with Oceania. We love both of them. But then, we also love Viking. Each cruise line have its strengths and qualities, and none is ever "perfect", that's our view.

Edited by Gnoelj

3 hours ago, Gnoelj said:

That was what we had expected from HAL before I took a cruise with them. When we booked our HAL cruise, it was with a bit of "trepidation". But we needn't have been concerned, our HAL cruise was not horrible at all, in fact,  we were pleasantly surprised with it !  Dare we say that the standard of their entertainment and activities on board our HAL cruise was SUPERIOR to what we have experienced on cruises with Oceania.

The food on Oceania, on the whole, may be somewhat better, but then , as most of us know, food is very subjective to the individual. Even for food, the sea food on HAL tasted so fresh it had the "taste of the sea".  The HAL chef told me they got their supplies straight from their visiting ports.  The lobsters on Oceania, sometimes felt as if they had been just a wee bit too long in the fridge . Does anyone know if Oceania ships  take daily seafood supplies from their visiting ports or do they take all their stocks from their base in Miami?

We would now be just as happy going with HAL as well as with Oceania. We love both of them. But then, we also love Viking. Each cruise line have its strengths and qualities, and none is ever "perfect", that's our view.

I am very glad you found a fit with HAL.... and that you found the food very good to your taste .  I can not argue with your reality...   It does not matter my take nor that of any one else.     It is your niche of comfort.