Silversea vs Oceania

Marymcgol1

19 hours ago, Marymcgol1 said:

Looking at two cruises with similar itineraries on these two lines.  Any insight on pros and cons to consider in our decision making would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your recommendations

You might want to ask your TA to compare the two lines for you. 

I have been on Silversea (1 cruise) and Oceania (3 cruises on larger O ships only).

Silversea has larger standard suites, butlers, includes alcohol and tips, and generally more formal and traditional with a slightly older demographics. Silversea has better service which is more personalized.

I really can't think of anything that we find superior on Oceania over Silversea. Typically the price is also higher on SS over Oceania (comparing balcony to balcony).  Compare all the features you are getting on both lines and see which one fits your needs best.

My wife and I have been on three cruises with Silversea (two on the Spirit, one on the "old" Cloud) and three with Oceania (two on the Marina, one on the Riviera). All six of these cruises were great in their own way, partly because we were realistic enough to know ahead of time that the O experience wouldn't be simply a less-expensive version of the Silversea experience. The larger O ships carry twice as many guests as the largest Silversea ships. The O cabins---although very nice---are smaller. The dress code on O is decidedly more informal (a plus for some, a negative for others). The quality of the MDR and specialty restaurant food, though, is very good on both lines, maybe equal.

The one big advantage of Silversea, at least for martini and wine drinkers like us, is that it's alcohol-included. We always bought the alcohol package on O ships, but that adds about $75 pp, per day, and it requires you to constantly have to take your card out and give it to the server. The other annoying thing about O's pay-as-you-go drink policy is that it seems to attract a lot of cheap drinkers, i.e., people who will flock in droves to the free-drink events (the Captain's welcome party, etc.) but then never show up in the bars before or after dinner. As a result, the bars on O were either feast or famine, usually famine.

Bottom line: if you can afford Silversea, if you like to dress for dinner, and if you enjoy eating and drinking in a relaxed and sophisticated ambiance, go with Silversea.

• Like 2

I should have added to the final paragraph, above, that if the things I mentioned aren't all that important to you, or if you're concerned that Silversea may be beyond your budget at this time, by all means go with Oceania. It offers a superior and satisfying cruise experience in most respects. I'm definitely open to sailing with them again if the itinerary is right.