Coronavirus paranoia on ships?

PortFees45

There's no real risk (yet), but lets face it lots of cruisers are...to put it politely..."low-information voters." I can see some ugly situations developing on a cruise with a large Chinese tour group as is often the case...someone sees someone coughing or sneezing...and then you get panic.

• Like 1

I don't like to be in the company of coughing and sneezing individuals in any situation, cruising or otherwise.  It doesn't take much to create panic...rational or irrational.  Won't surprise me in the least if we see people wearing masks on our upcoming cruise.  My thought, if one is that worried about catching something, stay home.  If one is sick, for gosh sake, stay home.  

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I don't like to be in the company of coughing and sneezing individuals in any situation, cruising or otherwise.  It doesn't take much to create panic...rational or irrational.  Won't surprise me in the least if we see people wearing masks on our upcoming cruise.  My thought, if one is that worried about catching something, stay home.  If one is sick, for gosh sake, stay home.  

There are many cities in China in which many people wear masks all the time due to constant pollution, not sure why people on a cruise should stay home rather than wear a mask.  Don't have to be worried, just taking proper precautions, like washing hands before dinner.  Since people may be contagious before showing any symptoms, wearing a mask could be doing you a favor.  What is the problem with wearing masks?  Think there might be more robberies?

20 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

The Chinese government has quarantined fifty million of its citizens.  Not a disease to take lightly. 

True above!  Also, the Chinese government has reacted much quicker than normal so it is nothing to take lightly.  

3 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

There's no real risk (yet), but lets face it lots of cruisers are...to put it politely..."low-information voters." I can see some ugly situations developing on a cruise with a large Chinese tour group as is often the case...someone sees someone coughing or sneezing...and then you get panic.

Let's be careful and not use examples targeting one ethnicity or another.... because there are 5 confirmed cases right here in America and they aren't Chinese......   those "low-vote information voters" may take an example as fact...... 

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

Let's be careful and not use examples targeting one ethnicity or another.... because there are 5 confirmed cases right here in America and they aren't Chinese......   those "low-vote information voters" may take an example as fact...... 

Oh save us the performative wokeness. The epicenter of the outbreak is in Wuhan, China. There's a reason there are travel restrictions for people leaving from China right now and not Argentina. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Oh save us the performative wokeness. The epicenter of the outbreak is in Wuhan, China. There's a reason there are travel restrictions for people leaving from China right now and not Argentina. 

You missed my point completely.....  but happy cruising 

Hello,
New to cruising.
Considering first cruise.  Possibly NCL as first cruise.

But the Corona virus has me worried since I have read many who cruise are elderly with compromised immune systems, and could spread the virus to others.

From what I have read,

”Corona virus causes cold- and flu-like symptoms, including cough and fever, and in more severe cases, shortness of breath. It can worsen to pneumonia, which can be fatal.

Those killed by the virus have mostly been middle-aged or elderly people, sometimes suffering from other conditions that weaken their ability to fight back.”

I have read here some passengers frequently get something contagious nicknamed “cruiser cough”. .. a persistent cough that is cold, flu, Noro, or other  respiratory  illness 

How does one prevent from getting sick on a ship, due to close contact with passengers who may have poor hygiene?  Or are sick.?

Does NCL have hand sanitizer stations around the restaurant, cafe, and buffet areas? Monitored by NCL staff, and hand washing mandatory before entering eating venues?   In public areas?  Is the buffet self-serve where  passengers help themselves to the food,  touching the serving utensils or touch food, or is the food  placed on the plate by food servers?
Will NCL screen passengers for the Corona virus during embarkation and debarkation?

I am health conscious,  and somewhat OCD.  I do not want to get sick, or die on my first cruise.

Thanks.

Edited by Justalone

5 hours ago, Justalone said:

Hello,
New to cruising.
Considering first cruise.  Possibly NCL as first cruise.

But the Corona virus has me worried since I have read many who cruise are elderly with compromised immune systems, and could spread the virus to others.

From what I have read,

”Corona virus causes cold- and flu-like symptoms, including cough and fever, and in more severe cases, shortness of breath. It can worsen to pneumonia, which can be fatal.

Those killed by the virus have mostly been middle-aged or elderly people, sometimes suffering from other conditions that weaken their ability to fight back.”

I have read here some passengers frequently get something contagious nicknamed “cruiser cough”. .. a persistent cough that is cold, flu, Noro, or other  respiratory  illness 

How does one prevent from getting sick on a ship, due to close contact with passengers who may have poor hygiene?  Or are sick.?

Does NCL have hand sanitizer stations around the restaurant, cafe, and buffet areas? Monitored by NCL staff, and hand washing mandatory before entering eating venues?   In public areas?  Is the buffet self-serve where  passengers help themselves to the food,  touching the serving utensils or touch food, or is the food  placed on the plate by food servers?
Will NCL screen passengers for the Corona virus during embarkation and debarkation?

I am health conscious,  and somewhat OCD.  I do not want to get sick, or die on my first cruise.

Thanks.

The best way to protect against getting sick is by frequent handwashing. People often catch minor illnesses when they travel. Can happen on the plane when air is constantly circulated, Can happen on the plan from touching an armrest or bathroom door handle that has a virus left on it, can happen on a cruise from being in close contact with many many people who are touching the same stair railings, elevator buttons, buffet utensils, etc as you. Yes, NCL has hand sanitizer stations around the buffet. Not sure about the MDR but that's not really any different than any restaurant you might go to at home. There are employees at the buffet spritizing your handles with the santizier so it is monitored, but they also won't chase someone down who skips it. Buffet is self serve. Cruise lines rely on self-reporting for people who are ill. I don't think they are currently employing any cruise line wide temperature testing or speciality screening; but they may in Chinese ports. 

Millions and millions of people cruise a year. A vast vast vast majority do not die. And those that do don't die from colds, flus, or noroviruses unless they were comprimised to begin with. You may get sick, just like you might on a plane, at work, in a gym, in a doctor's office, etc. Best you can do is wash your hands often and especially before eating (so could do the hand sanitizer before entering buffet, fill your plate using the shared utensils, and then wash your hands before eating).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mugtech said:

There are many cities in China in which many people wear masks all the time due to constant pollution, not sure why people on a cruise should stay home rather than wear a mask.  Don't have to be worried, just taking proper precautions, like washing hands before dinner.  Since people may be contagious before showing any symptoms, wearing a mask could be doing you a favor.  What is the problem with wearing masks?  Think there might be more robberies?

Never said anything was wrong with wearing a mask.  Agree that washing hands is key.

Just be aware and take the same precautions as with Nora Virus, washing and scrubbing hands is essential, I am immune deficient so, anyone sniffing around me without blowing their nose gets a Kleenex handed to them, basic hygiene.

• Like 2

Wash your hands.  Avoid people who sneeze or cough. 

The Corona Virus is not an airborne disease per se, it is an aerosol transmission disease.  It does not remain in the air after someone has walked by.  You have to walk through a sneeze or a cough within about a 3 foot radius of the carrier.

Dangerous?  Yes.  Unmanageable?  No.

On a recent cruise, one of my customers had the unfortunate incident, a man turned in a shop and sneezed directly into her face, after a few hours the lady was unable to leave her cabin for days, this couple are retired high spending Princess cruisers, however they have no interest in booking anymore cruises.

Please use a handkerchief, and show consideration to others

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trimone said:

On a recent cruise, one of my customers had the unfortunate incident, a man turned in a shop and sneezed directly into her face, after a few hours the lady was unable to leave her cabin for days, this couple are retired high spending Princess cruisers, however they have no interest in booking anymore cruises.

And if you're sick.

STAY HOME!

Cash in your insurance and stop acting like you're the center of the universe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Justalone said:

.....Will NCL screen passengers for the Corona virus during embarkation and debarkation?

Thanks.

Given you are a self-confessed Obsessive Compulsive Disorder sufferer, the best advice I can offer is not to book that cruise at this time. 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Given you are a self-confessed Obsessive Compulsive Disorder sufferer, the best advice I can offer is not to book that cruise at this time. 😉

Agreed, also Corona can lay dormant for up-to 14 Days? What’s screening going to prove... you could do a 7 day cruise and not know you had it.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trimone said:

I'm not a doctor but I have never heard of any illness other than food poisoning that appears in hours. It usually takes 7-10 days for symptoms to appear.  No one wants anyone to sneeze in their face, but she must have already have been exposed to become ill that soon.

• Like 3

Going on a cruise next month, flying to Sydney with layover in Hong Kong I am only worried about air travel disruptions, immigration problems, missed ports and extreme measures on board. On some roll calls I saw people are already bombarding NCL with panic mode questions.

Not worried about the virus itself. 

• Like 1