What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

I have a related question that perhaps some of the frequent cruises can give an opinion/answer on. I have CFAR insurance for my upcoming April travel, which includes the Regent Explorer TA from Miami to Barcelona, then five nights in Barcelona, then fly to Budapest for a 7 night Crystal River Cruise, plus 3 night post-cruise extension to Prague. 

The CFAR pays out at 75% and we have until 48 hours before departure to pull that trigger. So I’m thinking we are better off waiting until the deadline to make any decision rather than canceling now. We really don’t want to cancel, unless it looks like the situation has gotten much much worse. And if that happens, the cruise lines may have to cancel, at which point we would get refunds and possibly FCC, in which case we would be better off than if WE cancelled. We do not have anything concrete that prevents us from taking the “wait and see” approach other than the uncertainty, and I can live with that. 

am I missing something important in my reasoning. We always buy insurance (although not usually CFAR)  but have never had to use it. 

55 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Yes indeed! And let’s not be afraid to be a little critical as well.

If I find something to be critical about (other than notices on Regent's website), I'll post about it.  Right now I'm much more critical of how the U.S. is not handling the situation.  

1 minute ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

I have a related question that perhaps some of the frequent cruises can give an opinion/answer on. I have CFAR insurance for my upcoming April travel, which includes the Regent Explorer TA from Miami to Barcelona, then five nights in Barcelona, then fly to Budapest for a 7 night Crystal River Cruise, plus 3 night post-cruise extension to Prague. 

The CFAR pays out at 75% and we have until 48 hours before departure to pull that trigger. So I’m thinking we are better off waiting until the deadline to make any decision rather than canceling now. We really don’t want to cancel, unless it looks like the situation has gotten much much worse. And if that happens, the cruise lines may have to cancel, at which point we would get refunds and possibly FCC, in which case we would be better off than if WE cancelled. We do not have anything concrete that prevents us from taking the “wait and see” approach other than the uncertainty, and I can live with that. 

am I missing something important in my reasoning. We always buy insurance (although not usually CFAR)  but have never had to use it. 

Absolutely 100% the way to go.  You've got it perfectly.  Great choice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

If I find something to be critical about (other than notices on Regent's website), I'll post about it.  Right now I'm much more critical of how the U.S. is not handling the situation.  

Just wonder what you would do if you were in charge??

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gray Eagle02 said:

I’m having problems with CLIA’s new update. The virus is now in many States and, according to local authorities, has probably been smoldering in Washington State for six weeks. Seems to me traveling through airports is problematic, especially since a significant number of the infected are asymptomatic. I suspect it’s just a matter of time before it’s everywhere in this country, including cruise ships. While the original prohibition of people travel through parts of Asia was prudent, I think this is rapidly being overtaken by events.

To keep things in perspective, in Washington State, 5 of the 9 cases are from the same facility - one that houses very elderly people that are at risk.

Agree that airports (and planes) are problematic.  With all of this information, have you cancelled your Regent cruise?

sierrafloridacruiser - your reasoning sounds good.  No reason to cancel unless/until you have to.  There should be an update for your transatlantic cruise soon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Just wonder what you would do if you were in charge??

Exactly what they are doing (except I'd update the website more frequently - even though the information would likely not be what passengers want to hear ....... they want answers that no one has).  Since the situation changes almost daily, it would be too easy to give information to passengers that is correct today but may not be in two weeks.  I'm sure we all recall when Regent sent passengers through Hong Kong airport ....... before they knew that it was closing. Two weeks ago we all thought that Italy was a fairly safe to go...... look at where they are now.   I don't think that Regent want to jump the gun again.

P.S.  If your question is also about cancellations/cruise changes, etc., I would like to see all cruise lines have a better cancellation/change policy.  The policy now sends passengers to insurance companies - many of whom do not want to insure people over a certain age.  If they do insure, you pay top dollar.  There needs to be a better way.  

Edited by Travelcat2

16 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Fair enough, but I love that you don’t shy away from a good debate! 🙂 

9 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Fair enough, but I love that you don’t shy away from a good debate! 🙂 

You're right!  However, in "real life", people think that I'm shy (which is likely true).  There is something to be said about posting anonymously on a site.  On the other hand, I post on another cruise site - using my real name and I'm just sa outspoken.  Other posters, however, are a bit more refrained.   

Edited by Travelcat2

58 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Sorry for previous post...technical issues. With all the Viking talk, I’ve missed exactly what one’s options are with Regent should one decide after final payment date to postpone or reschedule their cruise due to the current situation. Assuming that one doesn’t have CFAR, are there any courtesies being extended, or is it business as usual?

I think our only option at this point is to wait and see what Regent does.   We leave from Venice on May 11th but we are scheduled to arrive in Italy on May 6th.  We bought regular trip insurance before the epidemic was declared so we should be good for trip cancellation or interruption.  For us, the ball is in Regent’s court.  For what it’s worth, we are in the higher risk demographic although we have no underlying conditions and hearty immune systems.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

You ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wait until the last minute of your "free" waiting time before making a decision. In your case, you wait until the deadline for CFAR. If you choose to CFAR, you do NOT mention ANYTHING other than you don't want to go. DO not mention the Coronavirus. Be patient. Making rash decisions based on emotion is almost always a bad idea in circumstances like this. Regent has always done right by their clients in the past. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree that airports (and planes) are problematic.  With all of this information, have you cancelled your Regent cruise?

I just returned from a Viking South American cruise. This started up while we were on that cruise. Our next trip is a Tuack tour of Machu Picchu in October. To early to cancel and we have not made final payment. Having dealt with both Tauck and Regent, I’d rather deal with Tauck. Tauck’s customer service is unbelievable, though I have not had problems with Regent.  

My next Regent cruise is a Singapore to Dubai in March 2021, much to early to cancel now  and have not made final payment.

We live in FL and have a trip planned to Washington DC. We usually fly but will drive to avoid airports.

Frankly, if you can afford either Tauck or Regent  and you are that concerned about contagions, you can afford the cancelation fee, or even the entire cost if after final payment. I’m having trouble visualizing passengers sitting in business class with masks and face guards. Easier not to fly.

I'm having trouble visualizing a luxury Regent cruise that has a say 25% to 50% of it's passengers with face masks on.  At dinners, on excursions, in the spa, pool, theater and all the lovely spaces around the ship.

Dinner jacket with tie and an N-95 mask or dressy gown with jewelry with your N-95 face mask in place for dinner.

1 minute ago, btreklaw said:

I'm having trouble visualizing a luxury Regent cruise that has a say 25% to 50% of it's passengers with face masks on.  At dinners, on excursions, in the spa, pool, theater and all the lovely spaces around the ship.

Dinner jacket with tie and an N-95 mask or dressy gown with jewelry with your N-95 face mask in place for dinner.

Why would you wear a mask on board? I don't get close enough to anyone to worry about it and I don't put my fingers in my mouth, in my nose, in my eyes or any other place they shouldn't be.

Besides, do you really think Regent would run a ship at 25%? The cruise would be cancelled and the ship would putt around at steerage speed with a skeleton crew...kind of like Voyager right now.

Apologies, I thought you meant 25% - 50% full. I am going and I am more concerned about the flight than the ship. But, then again, you have a far greater chance of dying from numerous other things than you do getting and dying from this. 95% of the panic you are seeing is unsubstantiated.

Here is an excerpt from an article I just read:

Placer County Public Health officials announced that a patient who had tested positive for COVID-19 after returning from a cruise has died. The individual was an elderly adult with underlying health conditions and was the county’s second confirmed case of COVID-19, reported Tuesday night. Officials said that close contacts of the patient were being quarantined and monitored.

The individual’s likely exposure occurred during international travel on a Princess cruise ship that departed Feb. 10 from San Francisco to Mexico and returned Feb. 21.

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Why would you wear a mask on board? I don't get close enough to anyone to worry about it and I don't put my fingers in my mouth, in my nose, in my eyes or any other place they shouldn't be.

Besides, do you really think Regent would run a ship at 25%? The cruise would be cancelled and the ship would putt around at steerage speed with a skeleton crew...kind of like Voyager right now.

I don't foresee passengers wearing masks onboard the ship but, if someone on an excursion - in a bus is not sounding good, I'll bring out the mask. In terms of face touching, one fact that I read recently is that we touch our face about 90 times a day and are not aware of it.  It can be a simple as an itch near your eyes or nose (or for women, when a tiny fleck of make-up get into your eyes).

There is a cruise line (which I won't mention in the hope that it will not start another off-topic discussion that I have a habit of jumping into) that cancelled their world cruise and will not take on more passengers until the end of the cruise.  They are supposedly running about 25% full.

22 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amtrak-waives-change-fees-due-153721697.html

How long before this makes it way to cruise industry?  Airlines..Amtrak...............

I wouldn't hold my breath.  The airlines have not agreed to this yet.  Plus, the U.S. has much more control of U.S. based airlines* than they do about cruise ships.  You never know, Pence has such a horrible history with how he handled the HIV outbreak in his state that he has a lot to prove (not a political statement - would say the same thing about anyone in office that had the same history).  Hopefully he has learned his lesson..... time will tell.

*Many of us fly foreign airlines (intentionally) and I'm not sure that the FAA can force a foreign airline to change their policies.  They likely can ban them from U.S. airspace but that could make things worse.  

Edited by Travelcat2

This California fatality is following a San Francisco round trip to Mexico cruise on the Grand Princess. Other passengers have been asked to self quarantine. Princess is deciding what to do regarding the Grand Princess.

California authorities are blaming the new Covid-19 death here due to a Princess western Mexico cruise last month . I don’t get it, how long did they suspect her illness and what are they doing now? We haven’t been told why they suspect she contracted the virus on a cruise that traveled to a country that only had a couple of cases n Mexico City.

We were on a Crystal west coast cruise in January. The company is now owned by a Chinese company and there were Passengers from China and some from Korea. No one appeared ill on the trip but there was one elderly US man with a wicked cough. I believe that he was transported off the ship in San Francisco a few days before we returned to San Diego.

We were scheduled on the Regent Splendor this month  and I’d joined the roll call. I asked if anyone was concerned because we once missed many ports during the Swine Flu and we were stuck in Italy for an extra week during the Iceland volcano.

Sadly, we did have to cancel after final payment because my mother needed two urgent surgeries. Our insurance has already taken care of us.