What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Funny how people approach things differently...we actually just booked a cruise sailing May 28th.  To Italy.  I'm hopeful that things will be normalizing a bit by then...

Carpe the freakin' diem, man.   🙂

Good for you!  As you know, we'll be on Splendor - leaving out of San Diego in just over a week.  Some of us are keeping in contact with each other and we are all as positive as one can be under the circumstances.  Being upset is not good for one's health so, with the support of friends, we are looking at the situation realistically and hoping that we are able to be onboard Splendor as scheduled.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Funny how people approach things differently...we actually just booked a cruise sailing May 28th.  To Italy.  I'm hopeful that things will be normalizing a bit by then...

Carpe the freakin' diem, man.   🙂

Love the attitude! 👍

June 14 Venice to Venice.  Our problem is we booked our own air.  I've got two balls to juggle.  My guess is ours will be sorted out by then.

Not afraid of the virus.  Both healthy and just turned 60.  More concerned about trying to coordinate air arrangements with anything that Regent may do.  That part is out of my control for now.  I would be more sanguine about it if I were sitting at the poolside on deck I had a glass of champagne in my hand.

Really, the thing that worries us most is getting somewhere and being quarantined or rerouted.  DH is still working and we are worried about our dogs and their arrangements.  

Very jealous Bill.  You two are going to have way too much fun.

Info point for US folks - Medicare will cover testing for coronavirus, if ordered by physician or healthcare provider, under Part B, if you're tested on or after February 4.  provider will need to wait until after April 1, 2020 to submit a claim to Medicare for this test.

This, to my memory, is a very quick response by Medicare.  Also, I believe most insurance companies will follow Medicare's lead regarding coverage of testing.

Now to hope that a vaccine is developed soon - maybe as soon as next year - and that it's covered like the flu vaccine (as opposed to Shingrex coverage). 

1 minute ago, orvil said:

Very jealous Bill.  You two are going to have way too much fun.

Orvil - fun and a half - there will be three of us, Annemarie and me, of course, and our 26-year old daughter who will be recently returned from her deployment to Afghanistan.  She wanted to go on another Regent cruise (we took her and her sister to Alaska on Navigator about 10 years ago) so she and Annemarie were looking at itineraries that worked for them...they saw that one on Splendor and I got kind of pouty that I'd miss a cruise on the new buggy.  True, we were booked on Splendor in Jan '21 but it just wouldn't have been the same - so I'm REALLY looking forward to spending time with the kiddo now that she's officially one of those 'adult' things.  🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

For those of you that aren’t concerned about getting the virus, do you have any concern that your exposure may pass the virus on to someone in a vulnerable or high risk category?

Me, personally?  Not really - I don't socialize that much with high risk people...or any people, for that matter.  Of course, there'd be a risk of exposing someone in an airport or somewhere else packed with people, but I think a person would have an equal chance of being exposed and exposing someone else...

It's all about managing risk.  I figure if I take all of the available commonsense precautions, I'm probably at a very low risk of contracting the virus and therefore at a low risk of exposing someone else.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

For those of you that aren’t concerned about getting the virus, do you have any concern that your exposure may pass the virus on to someone in a vulnerable or high risk category?

Of course I am concerned about getting the virus (being both vulnerable and high risk).  The terrible reality of the situation is that there are likely many more people that have the virus and have not been tested due to shortages of the test (which is being partially resolved in Washington State within the next 24 hours).  The State of Washington, Department of Health, has been keeping us updated.  Yesterday there was a half hour. program detailing what they know - what they recommend be done, etc. This is something that you can get at the supermarket, restaurants, theaters visiting your neighbor that may have been exposed or just about anywhere else.  

48 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

in short - yes, two close family member who live with us

However, I am pragmatic in understanding that we can catch virus anywhere. Therefore my biggest concern still is to be stuck in some place for a while and the next one to miss on ports which were our driving force to book this particular cruse. We have just over a week to make a call.

Edited by Kiwifromkiev

We are on the April 3rd TA. After communication with our travel agent, Regent said we needed to make a decision today if we wanted to bail on the cruise or stay the course. We're staying the course. We'll keep fingers crossed that all will go well. I had questioned our return air should there be any issue . I was told that Regent will get us home,  no matter what. May not be the very best option, but the ball will be in their court to take care of us. Not worried. So far, Regent has always gone above beyond in solving problems.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, orvil said:

June 14 Venice to Venice.  Our problem is we booked our own air.  I've got two balls to juggle.  My guess is ours will be sorted out by then.

Well, according to Regent's current policy that cruise could not occur since they say anybody coming/transiting through Veneto area can't board. They have earlier cruises arriving/leaving from Venice. It'll be interesting to see what happens. The other issue with cruises starting/ ending in Venice is that some airlines have started cancelling their flights there through May.

I just received the news about the Regent cancellation policy today - after it was too late for my April 3 sailing next month LOL

Not that I would cancel anyhow - just what happens when you are out of touch for a day.

I feel bad for people that are cancelling their long awaited trips, but I understand if they are elderly/high risk categories and worried... but we are not cancelling short of Regent cancelling on us. Heck - an itinerary change might make it even more interesting!

While I appreciate that Regent has instituted their Regent Reassurance program, in light of the latest developments with yet another quarantined cruise ship, how did they come up with the date of April 3 and forward departures?  What about sailings still scheduled this month?  Doesn’t seem fair to passengers who are scheduled to leave soon.  

This post was made by SantaFe1 on the April Barcelona -London Cruise.  Reposted with her permission:

About once every 5 years I get a person on the phone who is calm, professional, very well informed and answers all my questions.  I just called Regent and got such a person.  My regular Regent agent is off today.  So if you can stand one more long email from me, here is what I learned.  (and first let me say that my husband is 70 and has controlled asthma, so in the high risk group).

we have until Saturday, March 28 to make the decision to cancel.  The repositioning of the Explorer is scheduled to go forward.  After canceling the Asia cruises last month, all cruises are sailing on schedule and expected to continue to do so at this time.  If we decide to cancel, we have one year from the cancelation date(so, say March 27) to book another cruise with our Regent vouchers.  The actual sailing date can be any time in 2020 or 2021, so conceivably even a Dec. 2021 cruise. Any money paid for a shore ex, and we have one, will be refunded to our credit card.  All port fees and other associated fees will be refunded to our CC.  After those fees are deducted, Regent issues the voucher for the remainder.  (I certainly  didn’t know that!!)

if things escalate and Regent cancels our cruise altogether, which she thought was highly unlikely, but admittedly couldn’t say for sure, we would be refunded 100% to our CC or whatever method of payment we used.  However, Regent can and will change and/or cancel ports as it sees fit.  This is common to all cruises I have been on.  

I was worried about my air since I booked it myself.  If for example the sport of Barcelona is closed, it is likely, she said, as was the case in Hong Kong, that flights into the city would also cease.  She also said that Regent would help us as much as they could to get flights to the ship.  She said they are dedicated to getting all passengers to their ship on time, especially if they change ports.   She said if things get dicey enough for Regent to cancel Barcelona or Lisbon, chances are the airlines will put those cities on the no fee to change waiver list.  

So, we are going to hang in there.  We want to go, we don’t really have time in 2020-21 to squeeze in another cruise.  If the Alhambra is closed, no big deal.  We can come back, or there are just some places I am not destined to visit, I guess.  The Captain on our WC last year always delivered bad news about everything from the weather to missing Easter Island, saying, well, it is what it is.  That’s good enough for us right now.  We will go forward with hope but not expectations.

Sorry for the info overload, but wanted to share.  I hope to see most of you onboard, and will miss those who choose to cancel.

christine

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kjbacon said:

No. But don't you think your question isn't a little self-righteous/holier-than-thou??

Regent has updated their Health Protocols last night:  i added the emphasis to the 2nd bulleted item. 

Denial of Boarding

• Guests or crew who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, Japan or to the regions of Lombardy and Veneto in Italy within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality, will be denied boarding. Travel companions of these guests who share the same suite will also be denied boarding.
  • Any guest or crew with a temperature detected at or above 100.4F / 38C will be denied boarding.

Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund for monies paid for their cruise- only expenditures in the form of a 100% Future Cruise Credit when they provide proof of travel.

Health Screenings

• Guests and crew who in the last 30 days have come into known direct contact with anyone who has traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, Japan or to the regions of Lombardy and Veneto in Italy will be subject to additional health screenings. Travel companions of these guests who share the same suite will also be subject to screenings.
  • Active public health monitoring of embarking guests or crew who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms or exhibit difficulty breathing will be subject to additional pre-boarding medical evaluation as deemed necessary.
  • Any guest or crew who exhibits symptoms of any respiratory illness, flu-like symptoms, cough or a fever above 100.4F/38C while on board will be subject to additional screening at our onboard Medical Center and may be subject to potential quarantine and disembarkation.

Travel Restrictions for Certain Passport Holders

• Certain countries have put into place additional restrictions for port entry and passenger disembarkation, which may include denying entry to certain passport holders or requiring additional medical documentation or screenings. Impacted guests will be notified.

18 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Of course I am concerned about getting the virus (being both vulnerable and high risk).  The terrible reality of the situation is that there are likely many more people that have the virus and have not been tested due to shortages of the test (which is being partially resolved in Washington State within the next 24 hours).  The State of Washington, Department of Health, has been keeping us updated.  Yesterday there was a half hour. program detailing what they know - what they recommend be done, etc. This is something that you can get at the supermarket, restaurants, theaters visiting your neighbor that may have been exposed or just about anywhere else.  

Of course, exposure can happen anywhere someone with the virus has been (or is) and without testing, it’s all the more difficult. Evidently the shortage of testing is much, much worse than thought. The million kits expected to go out at the end of this week is somehow now only 75,000 with no explanation as to why or when there will be more. It is also being reported that a part time concession stand worker in the stadium where the Seahawks play tested positive. Washington State is hard hit so stay careful!

11 hours ago, travelingduo said:

While I appreciate that Regent has instituted their Regent Reassurance program, in light of the latest developments with yet another quarantined cruise ship, how did they come up with the date of April 3 and forward departures?  What about sailings still scheduled this month?  Doesn’t seem fair to passengers who are scheduled to leave soon.  

My husband and I have been looking forward to our voyage on the April 1st Splendor sailing for a very long time. While we appreciate Regent's decision to offer April 3, 2020 cruisers through November 1, 2020 cruisers the opportunity of cancellation; it is difficult to understand the reason for those cruising April 1st not to be afforded the same choice.

• Like 1

I don’t know for sure, and we are on the April 1 sailing with you, but I believe that it’s because our Splendor ports, currently,  have not been as strongly affected by the virus in the way that future Splendor ports (Venice in particular) have been.

We were scheduled to continue on Splendor to Venice, but we canceled NY to Venice yesterday and took the future cruise credits.

We hope to see you April 1!

I understand that this crisis is NOT of Regent's doing.  Their updated cancellation/rebook policy, IMO was too late in coming.

All that aside, I just paid Regent $26000 and change as final payment for a 5/4 cruise that the TA said we had to pay on time (Feb 4th).  Additionally my sister paid the same amount and my mother, as a single, slightly less.

I appreciate the ability to delay by journey until 2021 or 2022, but WHY does Regent get to keep ALL MY MONEY for what could be up to 2 years??????????   No Interest?????????  I would feel comfortable with them keeping our initial deposit, but IMO I figure the chances of the cruise lines recovering from this in tact is not 100%........    Am I the only one who feels this way???  (And yes, my husband and I will not be traveling on 5/4 and I do not believe my traveling partners will either.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 2:45 AM, flossie009 said:

IMO, port closures and booking cancellations left Regent with no alternative but to pull out of Asia when it did.

I also suspect that with the growing hysteria in the media & social media at the time NCLH management decided that they did not want any of NCLH’s ships caught up in the media hype; FdR's reported comments, including those about traveller "panic" indicate the drivers behind the decisions.

Before Regent's announcement other cruise-lines had already implemented very similar options for guests to cancel.

Both Crystal and Seabourn have their new policies advertised on their websites.

This post is not designed to belittle what Regent is doing for its customers, but IMO it is wrong to argue that it is doing significantly more than other cruise-lines, or that the company is ahead of the field.

Regent, along with all the other cruise-lines and the rest of the travel industry, is reacting to daily events and also to what its competitors are doing.

I acknowledge that it is very difficult for them to be pro-active with the ever evolving situation around the world. However, I do feel that Regent is lagging behind its competitors in its communications, particularly via its website

Royal Caribbean (including Azamara, Silversea, Celebrity, etc.) just announced a “cruise with confidence” program, allowing guests to cancel for a FCC up to 48 hours in advance for all cruises through 7/31/20. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got off of the Mariner on March 1 which was 17 days before our actual cruise ended (we were supposed to end in Singapore). All the ports after Sydney to Singapore had been cancelled and many more ports in Australia had been substituted. Many other cruisers took the same option. Most who remained were on the World Cruise (Miami or San Francisco to Miami) We were booked on a terrific (but long) flight from Sydney to Houston and then after clearing customs and immigration there to Miami. We were offered our money back for the unused portion and 25% off another cruise in 2020 (we had signed up for one out of LA in October but had not paid anything except the deposit.)

We think that Regent bent over backwards to accommodate everyone!! Kudos!!!

• Like 2

Sailing Splendor, April 1st:

As Regent is allowing those sailing April 3rd on the comfort of whether to cruise or not; the same is not offered for those cruising prior to April 3rd.  This is unsettling.  Apparently, the reason for this is the Caribbean is a warmer place; however, there is not proven evidence to support such a theory.