What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Of course, exposure can happen anywhere someone with the virus has been (or is) and without testing, it’s all the more difficult. Evidently the shortage of testing is much, much worse than thought. The million kits expected to go out at the end of this week is somehow now only 75,000 with no explanation as to why or when there will be more. It is also being reported that a part time concession stand worker in the stadium where the Seahawks play tested positive. Washington State is hard hit so stay careful!

Vice President Pence was in Seattle yesterday and there will be about 100,000 kits here today or tomorrow with 2M (not just for WA) coming.  I didn't listen to everything that was said since this is on our news almost 24/7.  Obviously, when more people are tested, the cases will spike again.  So many people are ill and could not be tested.  While they could have the flu, it could also be coronavirus.  I did read about the concession stand worker and wonder if they can trace it back to whom it was in contact with that may have had the virus..  In the meantime, we almost feel as if we are self-quarantined as we stay in the house except when we really need to go out (like I have an appointment at a lab in 35 minutes and dread even going near the place).  We are staying home to insure that we are healthy to board Splendor (assuming that we will actually get to San Diego - so far our Air Canada flight is still scheduled to leave on time).  I'm more worried about getting back from MIA but I don't want to fill my brain with too m any "what-if's". 

So, we are being careful - thank you for the kind reminder!

8 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Vice President Pence was in Seattle yesterday and there will be about 100,000 kits here today or tomorrow with 2M (not just for WA) coming.  I didn't listen to everything that was said since this is on our news almost 24/7.  Obviously, when more people are tested, the cases will spike again.  So many people are ill and could not be tested.  While they could have the flu, it could also be coronavirus.  I did read about the concession stand worker and wonder if they can trace it back to whom it was in contact with that may have had the virus..  In the meantime, we almost feel as if we are self-quarantined as we stay in the house except when we really need to go out (like I have an appointment at a lab in 35 minutes and dread even going near the place).  We are staying home to insure that we are healthy to board Splendor (assuming that we will actually get to San Diego - so far our Air Canada flight is still scheduled to leave on time).  I'm more worried about getting back from MIA but I don't want to fill my brain with too m any "what-if's". 

So, we are being careful - thank you for the kind reminder!

Don't believe anything Pence says.  Tony Fauci was on the morning shows today and said that they have only produced 75K test kits as of the end of the week.  They are not sending all of them to Seattle given that there are outbreaks in places like NYC.  They are ramping up production of the test kits but they can only go so fast.

• Like 4

Just got the email from Jason Montague regarding the new 30 day cancellation policy.  Unfortunately, although he mentions the 3 April sailing it is now less than 30 days from that sailing and cancellation is now probably not an option.  Also, he mentions that he will be on 12 and 30 March sailing of the Splendor; alas, these are not on the Regent website as they are familiarization cruises for TAs and not open to the public; I wonder what confusion that will sow.

Marc

Check your in-boxes!  Just got an email from Jason Montegue explaining Regent Reassurance.  There is nothing new in the email than what we already know.  I like the Royal Caribbean approach.  We have some wiggle room to decide but I would hate a major itinerary change.  Hopefully at 30 days out a decision will have been made about the port of embarkation.  

I  just wanted to ask a question about the application of Regent Reassurance to US customers and in particular what it does and does not cover. Regent has just released the same or similar offer for FCC in the event of customer cancellation wef 3 April - November requiring 30 days notice. They are at pains to stress that this covers the "cruise only" element of the costs and they would deduct airfare and "concierge benefits" by which I think they mean cost of the one night pre-cruise stay. This is a little odd as the fares advertised in the UK include these elements, indeed I do not think I have seen cruise only fares advertised. 

Is this the same in the US and would you expect the full costs to be refunded in the event of cancelation? Grateful for any feedback. I am not sure we would want to cancel for FCC in any case but it is difficult to see our cruise on Voyager from Venice in April going ahead if for no other reason than the current Regent terms seem to say that anyone who has been in the Veneto within 30 days of the cruise will be denied boarding!

21 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Just got the email from Jason Montague regarding the new 30 day cancellation policy.  Unfortunately, although he mentions the 3 April sailing it is now less than 30 days from that sailing and cancellation is now probably not an option.  Also, he mentions that he will be on 12 and 30 March sailing of the Splendor; alas, these are not on the Regent website as they are familiarization cruises for TAs and not open to the public; I wonder what confusion that will sow.

Marc

Someone posted an itinerary for the 12 March sailing the other day and it said to call for prices...  It is to Ensenada.   Anyway Jason Montague will be onboard at least through the early evening of 14 March.  I think he gets off then and doesn't sail with us.

With new reports that US is going to try to discourage folks from taking cruises at this time, I wonder when Regent will finally come out and announce which ship they are "parking."  They cannot think that they can afford to have four ships in Europe with current conditions there.

Here is part of the Reuters report:

The United States is considering ways to discourage U.S. travelers from taking cruises as part of a broader Trump administration effort to limit the spread of coronavirus, according to four officials familiar with the situation.

The officials, who asked to remain anonymous, said no decision has been made. The discussions are taking place ahead of a meeting between Vice President Mike Pence, who is in charge of leading the U.S. response to the coronavirus, and the cruise industry this weekend.

The administration could advise some or all U.S. travelers to temporarily avoid taking cruises in the face of a growing number of coronavirus cases on cruise ships, officials said.

Pence’s office did not immediately comment.

Shares of cruise operators turned negative after the Reuters report. Carnival Corp dropped more than 2%, Royal Caribbean fell more than 4% and Norwegian Cruise Lines stock was flat.

The administration is urgently debating measures aimed at reducing outbreaks on board cruise ships with several officials confirming the administration has reviewed potential restrictions on U.S. cruise ship travel.

Earlier this week the Grand Princess ocean liner, owned by Carnival Corp, was barred from returning to its home port of San Francisco on coronavirus fears after at least 20 people aboard fell ill.

Shares in Royal Caribbean Cruises, Carnival and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings have fallen around 50% since January.

The Cruise Lines International Association said this week cruise lines would take steps to limit coronavirus concerns, denying boarding to all persons who had traveled from hotspots including South Korea, Iran, China and parts of Italy. The group also said cruise lines would conduct illness screening for U.S. citizens who have recently visited those destinations.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Someone posted an itinerary for the 12 March sailing the other day and it said to call for prices...  It is to Ensenada.   Anyway Jason Montague will be onboard at least through the early evening of 14 March.  I think he gets off then and doesn't sail with us.

You are right - Jason Montague has a flight out of San Diego in the early evening (after or during the private cocktail party onboard).  

On 3/5/2020 at 2:42 PM, Mudhen said:

We are on the April 3rd TA. After communication with our travel agent, Regent said we needed to make a decision today if we wanted to bail on the cruise or stay the course. We're staying the course. We'll keep fingers crossed that all will go well. I had questioned our return air should there be any issue . I was told that Regent will get us home,  no matter what. May not be the very best option, but the ball will be in their court to take care of us. Not worried. So far, Regent has always gone above beyond in solving problems.

we are staying the course as well and declined the offer last night. The cruise is still almost a month away and I’m hoping things will look much improved by then. 

Somebody on the Regent Facebook page posted this:

"So those of you on the upcoming Splendor cruise can see that Regent has just announced that they will allow cancellations up to 48 hours before departure with a full 100% credit for a future cruise. My wife and I are on the cruise leaving from San Diego. We've been dealing with the stress of the situation and I'm wondering what others are thinking of doing?"

Per his post, this is the email from Regent

"For all voyages embarking through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing between now and December 31, 2022."

Just wanted to comment, it doesnt get more flexible than that!

Edited by cruiseluv

I just got this from my travel agent. Appears April 3 date is no longer the key. It’s any paid for booked cruise  through Sept 30 can be cancelled up to 48 hours before departure. We still hope to cruise April 1 but have a little time to see what develops in next couple of weeks. Did others on this cruise get this?

CRUISE

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the coronavirus situation and update appropriate actions as the safety, security and well-being of all our guests and crew is our number one priority. 

With so much information coming from around the world very quickly, some may feel uneasy about traveling. Accordingly, we are introducing Regent Reassurance.

For all voyages embarking through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing between now and December 31, 2022.

We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage or to sail on a future one.

Please know that our team is working tirelessly to navigate through these ever-changing circumstances – because our priority is to take care of you, our extended family. Our Chief Medical Officer maintains constant contact with relevant local, federal and global agencies to ensure we have timely information to maintain and enhance our stringent protocols, which we believe are among the most comprehensive in the travel industry. We have been highly successful in maintaining a healthy environment on board our ships, and the comprehensive set of preventative actions put in place will help us ensure the safety, health and well-being of all our guests and crew. You can learn more about these steps on our website, www.RSSC.com.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

33 minutes ago, PinkMEB said:

I just got this from my travel agent. Appears April 3 date is no longer the key. It’s any paid for booked cruise  through Sept 30 can be cancelled up to 48 hours before departure. We still hope to cruise April 1 but have a little time to see what develops in next couple of weeks. Did others on this cruise get this?

CRUISE

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the coronavirus situation and update appropriate actions as the safety, security and well-being of all our guests and crew is our number one priority. 

With so much information coming from around the world very quickly, some may feel uneasy about traveling. Accordingly, we are introducing Regent Reassurance.

For all voyages embarking through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing between now and December 31, 2022.

We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage or to sail on a future one.

Please know that our team is working tirelessly to navigate through these ever-changing circumstances – because our priority is to take care of you, our extended family. Our Chief Medical Officer maintains constant contact with relevant local, federal and global agencies to ensure we have timely information to maintain and enhance our stringent protocols, which we believe are among the most comprehensive in the travel industry. We have been highly successful in maintaining a healthy environment on board our ships, and the comprehensive set of preventative actions put in place will help us ensure the safety, health and well-being of all our guests and crew. You can learn more about these steps on our website, www.RSSC.com.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

We have not yet received this.  

It does include the 4/1/2020 sailing on Splendor, correct?

The e-mail we received this am from Regent states that you can cancel up to 30 days before your cruise that leaves before Nov 1st not Sept 30th.  So which is it ?  Our cruise is the end of Oct so this is important to us.

Accordingly, we are introducing Regent Reassurance. For all voyages embarking April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 30 days prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing in 2020-2021. We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage or to sail on a future one.

3 minutes ago, doowopbob said:

The e-mail we received this am from Regent states that you can cancel up to 30 days before your cruise that leaves before Nov 1st not Sept 30th.  So which is it ?  Our cruise is the end of Oct so this is important to us.

Accordingly, we are introducing Regent Reassurance. For all voyages embarking April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 30 days prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing in 2020-2021. We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage or to sail on a future one.

Yep, confusing.  We got your email this morning.   Waiting for the updated version. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, doowopbob said:

Based on the link on the RSSC website the new policy supersedes the one you got this morning..  Would have been good for Regent to have said with the revised policy that it cancels and supersedes  the one thru November 1.

The only way to get a definitive answer is from Regent and not here on CC.  Good luck,

The one I got from Regent had the April 3 date, but the update from my TA has the new language. My agent said “let us know how you want us to proceed.” I told her we would wait about two weeks before deciding. We lean toward going if the ship is going! Because of our age, our travel insurance was expensive. I don’t know if the insurance company would apply it toward a future cruise or if we would lose those dollars. We will see what next week brings. 

Dr Anthony Fauci has now said that the elderly and those with other health issues should use their common sense in evaluating airline travel and cruise travel because of their vulnerability to the virus.

• Like 2

Just went to the Regent website and if you look for Regent Reassurance on the home page it has a dropdown with the thru Nov. 30 date and a link for further information that has the September 30 date.  Obviously these two different policies on website conflict with each other.

Regent certainly needs to fix the website with the correct and not confliction information as well as send out a dated email to all customers and TA's with the correct information as well as a notice that this cancels and supersedes any and all prior Regent Reassurance information.

Right now based on common law at least here in the US in the least the current information conflicts and is ambiguous and by US law and perhaps other any ambiguity in a Contract is construed against the writer in this case Regent. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

VP Pence has just said in a round about way that the elderly should reconsider cruising at this time.

We are 77 and 76 but we do not have any major health deficiencies.

So are we elderly and should we  reconsider our late April cruise??

This is such a difficult decision.😢