What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

VP Pence has just said in a round about way that the elderly should reconsider cruising at this time.

CDC is far more blunt in its latest guidance.  And, darn, I was hoping to go to opening night of Black Widow - maybe waiting for that slow afternoon matinee again.  BTW, older is basically 60+, no matter how youthful we feel!

Amid a coronavirus outbreak in the United States, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is encouraging older people and people with severe chronic medical conditions to "stay at home as much as possible."

This advice is on a CDC website that was posted Thursday, according to a CDC spokeswoman.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

The latest from Regent:

MPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR UPCOMING CRUISE

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the coronavirus situation and update appropriate actions as the safety, security and well-being of all our guests and crew is our number one priority. 

With so much information coming from around the world very quickly, some may feel uneasy about traveling. Accordingly, we are introducing Regent Reassurance.

For all voyages embarking through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing between now and December 31, 2022.

We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage or to sail on a future one.

Please know that our team is working tirelessly to navigate through these ever-changing circumstances – because our priority is to take care of you, our extended family. Our Chief Medical Officer maintains constant contact with relevant local, federal and global agencies to ensure we have timely information to maintain and enhance our stringent protocols, which we believe are among the most comprehensive in the travel industry. We have been highly successful in maintaining a healthy environment on board our ships, and the comprehensive set of preventative actions put in place will help us ensure the safety, health and well-being of all our guests and crew. You can learn more about these steps on our website, www.RSSC.com.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Regent Seven Seas Cruises Reservations Phone Numbers:

·        United States / Canada: 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) or (954) 776-6123

·        United Kingdom: 02380 682280

·        Rest of Europe: +44 (2380) 682140

·        Australia / New Zealand / Asia Pacific: 1.300.455.200

·        Latin America / Brazil: 0800 400-3132 or +1 (954) 940-7486

13 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

The latest from Regent:

MPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR UPCOMING CRUISE

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the coronavirus situation and update appropriate actions as the safety, security and well-being of all our guests and crew is our number one priority. 

With so much information coming from around the world very quickly, some may feel uneasy about traveling. Accordingly, we are introducing Regent Reassurance.

For all voyages embarking through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing between now and December 31, 2022.

We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage or to sail on a future one.

Please know that our team is working tirelessly to navigate through these ever-changing circumstances – because our priority is to take care of you, our extended family. Our Chief Medical Officer maintains constant contact with relevant local, federal and global agencies to ensure we have timely information to maintain and enhance our stringent protocols, which we believe are among the most comprehensive in the travel industry. We have been highly successful in maintaining a healthy environment on board our ships, and the comprehensive set of preventative actions put in place will help us ensure the safety, health and well-being of all our guests and crew. You can learn more about these steps on our website, www.RSSC.com.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Regent Seven Seas Cruises Reservations Phone Numbers:

·        United States / Canada: 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) or (954) 776-6123

·        United Kingdom: 02380 682280

·        Rest of Europe: +44 (2380) 682140

·        Australia / New Zealand / Asia Pacific: 1.300.455.200

·        Latin America / Brazil: 0800 400-3132 or +1 (954) 940-7486

This is so unfair we were given 24 hours to decide ...that is for the April 3rd TA. I would have liked at least a week to decide.

• Like 1

Policies change from time to time, I think Regent is doing a good job on this---being fair, I think so-but no matter what Regent does they won't please everybody.  But if you look at the policy, now in place and could change again is pretty good to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Policies change from time to time, I think Regent is doing a good job on this---being fair, I think so-but no matter what Regent does they won't please everybody.  But if you look at the policy, now in place and could change again is pretty good to me.

No doubt but am I not entitled to feel a little wistful and sad?

19 minutes ago, Emdee said:

This is so unfair we were given 24 hours to decide ...that is for the April 3rd TA. I would have liked at least a week to decide.

Well, I guess you could book it again and have until April1st to decide

9 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Maria, yes, that was option I was given but decided to leave the cancellation in place.  This new policy is great for passengers but will really impact insurance companies as now no real reason to purchase cancellation insurance.

Marc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

We will wait and see. If things look better will consider booking again. All amounts have already been refunded etc.

On another note are you will walking the Camino?

3 minutes ago, Emdee said:

We will wait and see. If things look better will consider booking again. All amounts have already been refunded etc.

On another note are you will walking the Camino?

The reason I suggested it is that I'm tempted to book it! (but probably wont because I have a trip to PR in late March to see my parents)

Regarding the Camino, last year I did the Camino Inglés, a bit challenging. Later this year I have plans to go to Santiago for a reunion but not hiking this time. And you?

4 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Maria, yes, that was option I was given but decided to leave the cancellation in place.  This new policy is great for passengers but will really impact insurance companies as now no real reason to purchase cancellation insurance.

Marc

Hey, Marc.  I think a minor disagreement.  Travel insurance has generally been transferable to a future cruise within a year.  Consumers still have the same incentive to ensure future travel on a personal level short of a global health problem.  
Mad

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

Marc, agree re insurance, but this change in policy will only be temporary (although I would love for it to stay!)

11 hours ago, ddsun1 said:

My husband and I have been looking forward to our voyage on the April 1st Splendor sailing for a very long time. While we appreciate Regent's decision to offer April 3, 2020 cruisers through November 1, 2020 cruisers the opportunity of cancellation; it is difficult to understand the reason for those cruising April 1st not to be afforded the same choice.

Cancellantion, but they still charge 25%.  We were on for the END of October and had to take the hit.  We did not cancel because of the virus, but because my husband has had a diagnosis of cancer and has to have a lot of treatments.  This is not fair.

13 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

The reason I suggested it is that I'm tempted to book it! (but probably wont because I have a trip to PR in late March to see my parents)

Regarding the Camino, last year I did the Camino Inglés, a bit challenging. Later this year I have plans to go to Santiago for a reunion but not hiking this time. And you?

You are a true peregrina.

My knees are done...no more walking.

Note that besides shortening the deadline to cancel to 48 hrs, they've also made the FCC applicable to cruises through the end of 2022 versus the previous 2020-2021 limitation.

Smart move, I think, on Regent's part since we are on the fence about our 6 May cruise and would have had to decide within a few weeks guessing on where things will be 30 thereafter.  We will now almost certainly delay our decision until the last minute so we can use then-current information.

Also, there was earlier mention in this thread that the FCC was limited to "cruise only" portions of the fare (i.e., not including air).  I see no mention of this in either Jason M's earlier email or in the updated statement on the Regent web site (and no link to a fine print page).  To wit: "guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing before December 31, 2022."

Edited by Portolan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

This doesn't specifically mention cruising, but it can be inferred (dang, though 64 I don’t feel elderly):

CDC says older adults should “stay at home as much as possible” due to coronavirus

From CNN Health’s Elizabeth Cohen and John Bonifield

Amid a coronavirus outbreak in the United States, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention posted new guidance on its website, encouraging older people and people with severe chronic medical conditions to “stay at home as much as possible.”

This advice is on a CDC website that was posted Thursday. 

The CDC says early data suggests older people and people who have severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung, or kidney disease are at higher risk for more serious illness from the novel. coronavirus. The CDC says older people are twice as likely to become seriously ill if they become infected with the virus.

Some context: This advice from the CDC comes as two top infectious disease experts with ties to the federal government have advised people over 60 and those with underlying health problems to strongly consider avoiding activities that involve large crowds, such as traveling by airplane, going to movie theaters, attending family events, shopping at crowded malls, and going to religious services. 

A Trump administration official tells CNN that the US Department of Health and Human Services “is in the process of doing targeted outreach to the elderly community and those that have serious underlying health conditions.” 

Well, Ragnar.  I don’t see a hint of mandate here.  We should all exercise caution and make informed decisions for ourselves.  Calm reasoning is needed.

Mad

2 minutes ago, MadMarine said:

Well, Ragnar.  I don’t see a hint of mandate here.  We should all exercise caution and make informed decisions for ourselves.  Calm reasoning is needed.

Mad

VP Pence is meeting with cruise industry execs tomorrow.  Hopefully there will be some clarity after that.

But note the disease experts used the phrase “should strongly consider”...

11 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

VP Pence is meeting with cruise industry execs tomorrow.  Hopefully there will be some clarity after that.

But note the disease experts used the phrase “should strongly consider”...

Mandate is not “strongly consider...”. Words do matter.  We have law and tradition in the US of not forbidding travel of our citizens with few exceptions, Cuba and North Korea come to mind.  Would this suggest that I should be mandated not to travel to Seattle for the same reason?  

One of those experts,  noted in the CNN article that advise the CDC, is Dr. Osterholm from the University of Minnesota.

He was interviewed today  about advising people over 60 to  limit their travel, stay away from large crowds  etc.

He said he is following his own advice  being  over 60.  Not  traveling by air for the  near future  or goign to a resort.

We had the first  COVID-19  in MN. It is a person who was on a cruise and retired .

Got sick on Feb 25 and yesterday called doctor with this information.

Person was tested by  state lab on Thursday  and at noon  today  the test  came back postitve.

Person is at home and  County health  officals are investigating those that have come in contact with person.

Governor had a pressser with all health officals givng very factual inforamiton and what they are doing going forward.

This person had to  get home from cruise by air  so there is that to consider. 

Meanwhile in Maryland ,  three people who were on a river cruise in Egypt have been tested positve but have  gone all over their community  since being home:  school event,  retirment community and nursing home.

Again risk management  for all of us ,not only for those of us that love to cruise, but also the people we interact with in our home towns.

Be smart , be safe, be realistic.

Edited by Azulann

4 minutes ago, Azulann said:

One of those experts,  noted in the CNN article that advise the CDC, is Dr. Osterholm from the University of Minnesota.

He was interviewed today  about advising people over 60 to  limit their travel, stay away from large crowds  etc.

He said he is following his own advice  being  over 60.  Not  traveling by air for the  near future  or goign to a resort.

We had the first  COVID-19  in MN. It is a person who was on a cruise and retired .

Got sick on Feb 25 and yesterday called doctor with this information.

Person was tested by  state lab on Thursday  and at noon  today  the test  came back postitve.

Person is at home and  County health  officals are investigating those that have come in contact with person.

Governor had a pressser with all health officals givng very factualinforamiton and what theya re doing going forward.

This person had to  get home from cruise by air  so there is taht to consider. 

Meanwhile in Maryland ,  three people who were on a river cruise in Egypt have been tested positve but have  gone all over their community  since being home:  school event,  retirment community and nursing home.

Again risk management  for all of us ,not only for those of us that love to cruise, but also the people we interact with in our home towns.

Be smart , be safe, be realistic.

+1

5 hours ago, snorkle lover said:

We are 77 and 76 but we do not have any major health deficiencies.

So are we elderly and should we  reconsider our late April cruise??

This is such a difficult decision.😢

I empathize with the difficult decision statement. I think that only you can weigh the various factors, e.g., what is known or not known at the time you must decide, your tolerance for risk, the likelihood that you will enjoy a cruise under the circumstances, etc.  

I don't see that it is helpful to encourage or discourage specific posters on CC from cruises because what I may decide is based on my personality, my experiences, and my preferences among other factors.  Someone else might decide differently. I would not praise someone for taking a cruise next week nor for cancelling a cruise next week.  I think it is useful to share our own personal views on how we each would make a decision  as long as it is clear that our decision is not necessarily best for someone else.

IMO, it would be most important to be sure that everyone on this thread has the latest information from presumably reliable sources such as CDC and other medical experts.There is still much we don't know about the course of this epidemic and recommendations from health officials may change from one day or week to the next .

• Like 1

Interesting the UK version appears to be different or the policy has been amended since the initial issue of the document. Below is what is stated on the UK site, please note! It specifically states it excludes air and concierge collection (our cruise includes a trip on the orient express from London to Venice, so it looks like if we cancel we would lose the cost of this and our air fare back from the cruise, this obviously might alter in further updates).

To quote Regent UK

At Regent Seven Seas Cruises, our extended family of guests and crew is always at the center of everything we do, and the safety of our guests and crew is our top priority. With so much information coming from around the world very quickly, some may feel uneasy about traveling — especially if you have a voyage scheduled to sail during the next several months.

To ensure you feel confident about sailing with Regent, we are introducing Regent Reassurance. For all voyages embarking 10 March 2020 through 30 September 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit based on the cruise only fare (excluding air and Concierge Collection arrangements if applicable). Which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing in 2020-2022. We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage, or to sail on a future one.

Please know that our team is working tirelessly to navigate through these ever-changing circumstances — because our priority is to take care of you, our extended family. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Well, Canada's top public health officer has chimed in and advised people to "think twice" before going on cruises.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/coronavirus-cruise-grand-princess-1.5489320

Canada's chief public health officer is warning travellers, especially the elderly and those with fragile health, to reconsider going on cruises after cases of the coronavirus were confirmed on a cruise ship which has Canadians on board. 

"Think twice about going on cruise ships," said Dr. Theresa Tam on Friday, noting they "present environments where COVID-19 can spread easily given close contacts between passengers and crew for significant periods of time."  

Tam said that even if people on a cruise do not contract the virus they could be quarantined by destination countries for extended periods of time, increasing the risk of infection.

Edited by slidebite
  • Like 1

Tried to edit above post and it wouldn't let me...

Question RE: FCC. Are there any assurances that a future cruise of similar length/itinerary will be at least similar, if not exact pricing? It would be quite unfortunate if the cruise you cancel now to take in 2021 costs 15% more to do the same thing 😕

2 hours ago, charltonkerry said:

Below is what is stated on the UK site, please note! It specifically states it excludes air and concierge collection (our cruise includes a trip on the orient express from London to Venice, so it looks like if we cancel we would lose the cost of this and our air fare back from the cruise, this obviously might alter in further updates).

@charltonkerry,

Before doing anything I would speak to your TA and/or Regent.

Plus have a careful read of the UK Ts&Cs. My reading is that in your case Regent have made a "significant alteration" and therefore should offer you the choice of "a substitute package" or "a full refund".

i.e. I do not see that there is a need for you to invoke the new Regent Reassurance, and you should not end up out-of-pocket for any of the package of travel arrangements you booked with Regent. 

Kudos to Regent that they have finally brought their UK website up to date. We now have clear links to Regent's Coronavirus Protocol & the new Regent Reassurance. Also the altered itineraries in the Med are up to date.

"Everything comes to those who wait" .................... eventually 🙄

• Like 1