What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

Hello fellow Regent cruisers. I have been reading this 952 post thread hoping it will help me and my spouse make an informed decision as to whether to go on an upcoming cruise. I have a simple request. As best we can let's stick with facts about the virus and Regent's response to it so we can all learn and make informed decisions that are best for us and our families. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Gray Eagle02 said:

“It is prudent for travellers who are sick to delay or avoid travel to affected areas, in particular for elderly travellers and people with chronic diseases or underlying health conditions.”

The above quote is from the WHO sight.

I do think it is useful to reiterate what the WHO and the US Govt is saying regarding planned travel, particularly for seniors with existing health issues.  Here is a quote from VP Pence yesterday after his meeting with cruise executives and Florida leaders.

Pence, speaking Saturday after meeting with cruise ship industry leaders in Florida, targeted his travel advice to a narrower group: older people with serious health problems.

If you’re a senior citizen with a serious underlying health condition, this would be a good time to practice common sense and to avoid activities including traveling on a cruise line,” Pence said, adding they were looking to cruise line officials for action, guidance and flexibility with those passengers.

source article from AP:  https://apnews.com/921ad7f1f08d7634bf681ba785faf269 

In the same meeting, it was apparently agreed by cruise executives that more rigorous embarkation screening would be occurring very soon.   Anyone showing up at the embarkation running a fever about 100.4 might be denied boarding.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

I do think it is useful to reiterate what the WHO and the US Govt is saying regarding planned travel, particularly for seniors with existing health issues.  Here is a quote from VP Pence yesterday after his meeting with cruise executives and Florida leaders.

Pence, speaking Saturday after meeting with cruise ship industry leaders in Florida, targeted his travel advice to a narrower group: older people with serious health problems.

If you’re a senior citizen with a serious underlying health condition, this would be a good time to practice common sense and to avoid activities including traveling on a cruise line,” Pence said, adding they were looking to cruise line officials for action, guidance and flexibility with those passengers.

source article from AP:  https://apnews.com/921ad7f1f08d7634bf681ba785faf269 

In the same meeting, it was apparently agreed by cruise executives that more rigorous embarkation screening would be occurring very soon.   Anyone showing up at the embarkation running a fever about 100.4 might be denied boarding.

Here is what Dr. Fauci said this a.m. on the news:

I just hope people listen 😞

“If you're a person with an underlying condition and you are particularly an elderly person with an underlying condition, you need to think twice about getting on a plane, on a long trip,” he said. “And not only think twice, just don't get on a cruise ship.”

• Like 3

Here is some more info on the meeting with Pence:

New boarding protocols

Earlier Saturday, Vice President Mike Pence and Acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf met with officials from cruise companies in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and announced new procedures cruise operators will adopt to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus on their ships.

Pence said the goal of Saturday's meeting was for the cruise industry "to step up their efforts to protect the health and safety of their passengers, their crews and the communities to which they all return."

“The American people value our cruise line industry,” Pence said. “Nevertheless, we all recognize the recent challenges posed on the Diamond Princess and the ongoing challenge with the Grand Princess in the spread of the coronavirus.”

Within the next 72 hours, the industry, with the assistance of the DHS, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Coast Guard, Pence said cruise operators will develop new guidelines in three areas:

• Further enhancement of entry and exit screening and shipboard testing for the coronavirus.
  • New quarantine standards will be coordinated with the CDC for all cruise ships.
  • A protocol to move any patients that contract the coronavirus or otherwise become seriously ill to land-based facilities. 

Pence said the approach to screening, testing and handling ill passengers and crew will be an industry-led effort. He added there was no need to discourage people from taking cruises, other than the most at-risk population — specifically senior citizens with serious, underlying health conditions.

Pence said he saw no need to discourage Americans from taking cruises or traveling in general.

In the conference call, Tarling said Carnival would encourage more widespread use of hand sanitizer and regular handwashing among its passengers and crew. He also said ships would be supplied with a disinfectant that can kill the coronavirus in 30 seconds.

Tarling also said the company would advise its passengers to practice social distancing, such as sitting at least one seat away from their dining companions.

"It’s all being done fleet-wide," he said. "We’ve adopted these measures throughout our entire fleet."

The Cruise Line Industry Association, a trade group, said in a statement it would provide more details about the new procedures in the coming days.

"We are hard at work already," said Adam Goldstein global chairman of the industry group.

Jan Swartz, president of Princess Cruises, said in the conference call that the coronavirus had created a new reality for the cruise industry worldwide, adding, "We intend to be flexible and adapt."

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Tarling also said the company would advise its passengers to practice social distancing, such as sitting at least one seat away from their dining companions.

What?  You mean no lap dancing?  

Seriously though, if we sit one seat away from our dining companions, how in the world will we hear what they are saying?  I can hear the cacophony now!  

Edited by forgap

A brief time out to thank the hard working CC moderators.  This is stressful situation near and dear to all of us.  Appreciate the mods and posters for helping keep the discussion on track and respectful.

Edited by RJ2002
  • Like 1

My wife and I are postponing two back to back cruises we had planned for May. For us, it’s not as much the fear of contracting the corona virus, since we’re both healthy and on the younger end, as it is having to deal with a potential nightmarish quarantine. Knowing what we all know now, If we wound up being stuck on a ship, confined to our cabins, we would have only ourselves to blame.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

My wife and I are postponing two back to back cruises we had planned for May. For us, it’s not as much the fear of contracting the corona virus, since we’re both healthy and on the younger end, as it is having to deal with a potential nightmarish quarantine. Knowing what we all know now, If we wound up being stuck on a ship, confined to our cabins, we would have only ourselves to blame.

Amen!  ANd I would be in divorce court 😞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BBWC said:

"It’s all being done fleet-wide," he said.

Yeah right, Carnival will do this for sure.  How could they do that unless their ships were half empty?

2 hours ago, MadMarine said:

TC, It appears that many of the posts related to our discussion on this topic are gone.  At least, I can’t see them.  However, I did read your response and appreciated your tenor and understand the frustration.  I learned yesterday that we’ve got a new case in Clark County.  For those that don’t know, Clark County, WA is a couple of hours south of where TC lives.  Be safe all!

Mad

Thank you for understanding.  I'm not going to listen to the news or read this thread today as information remains all over the place.   

• Like 1

I posted a few things I felt were important about the COVD-19.  This is TravelCat's thread and wanted her to know the reason I posted. She and I have disagreed on many things over the years and probably disagree politically, too.

However, when she posts photos etc. of she and her cute hubby, you then get to know these people thru social media. I have actually been quite worried about she and Dennis going on this cruise because they live is WA state and age issues. Hence, my posts and warnings. Just wanted her to know that people on these Boards care about others.

Hope she understands. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you for understanding.  I'm not going to listen to the news or read this thread today as information remains all over the place.   

Finally the international and domestic health authorities have coalesced in their advice regarding high risk individuals. Individuals will have to weigh  the risks vs benefits of travel, particularly cruises, in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3

BREAKING: State Department says US citizens should not travel by cruise ship
Quote Tweet

IggimHZW_normal.jpg
Travel - State Dept

@TravelGov
· 8m
U.S. citizens, especially with underlying conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. #CDC notes increased risk of #COVID19 on cruises. Many countries have implemented screening procedures, denied port entry rights to ships and prevented disembarking. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

We have our first Regent cruise booked on the Splendor, on April 1st. We are waiting to see what happens in the next couple weeks. Our main concern is getting quarantined on the ship for an extended period.  Even on a Regent ship, that would be problematic. Too bad, since we are very much looking forward to it, but we might end up canceling and rebooking on another cruise. 

35 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:
BREAKING: State Department says US citizens should not travel by cruise ship
Quote Tweet

IggimHZW_normal.jpg
Travel - State Dept

@TravelGov
· 8m
U.S. citizens, especially with underlying conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. #CDC notes increased risk of #COVID19 on cruises. Many countries have implemented screening procedures, denied port entry rights to ships and prevented disembarking. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

Thank you for posting. Here is the full text from the website:

Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking.  In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures.  While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  

This is a fluid situation.  CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.  This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.  Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

• Like 3

After listening to Antony Fauci on the news and reading the state department directive above, it seems quite clear that if you get into trouble on a cruise ship as an American citizen you are on your own.  For those that choose to travel, especially those in the high risk categories, you have been duly warned.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

I’m with you, BarbarianPaul.  We are going to take advantage of Regent’s “assurance” offer and cancel our cruise in May and re-book for next year.  It’s not out of concern for our own exposure to the virus, which can happen anywhere, but rather out of concern about cancelled ports and excursions and the potential of quarantine or challenges with flying home.  It’s disappointing, for sure, but I don’t want to spend the next two months worrying about it.

I have to thank each and every one of you for this discussion and helping my DH and me to make an agonizing decision on our April cruise (first on Regent - were soo looking forward to it!) we've decided to postpone, hopefully by next October things will get back to some normality. Why October - this is the time when the cruise itinerary is almost identical. You can only do Suez Canal twice a year ... 

I

1 hour ago, morneau said:

After listening to Antony Fauci on the news and reading the state department directive above, it seems quite clear that if you get into trouble on a cruise ship as an American citizen you are on your own.  For those that choose to travel, especially those in the high risk categories, you have been duly warned.

I agree!  Everyone has to make their own decisions on this.  If people decide to take their cruise are they also going to be responsible if something goes wrong?  Or are they going to be looking for someone to save them and put other people in harms way, not to mention how much money it will cost to take care of you, quarantine you, etc. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Thank you for posting. Here is the full text from the website:

Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking.  In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures.  While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  

This is a fluid situation.  CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.  This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.  Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

I’m wondering, given this alert from the State Dept, if Regent will begin to cancel cruises for the next month or so?   This could change the dynamic on how many pax they are going to lose as well as the scheduled ports.  Not looking good, I 🤔 

Mad