What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

Mixed messages in the last 24hrs?

7 hours ago, BBWC said:

Pence said he saw no need to discourage Americans from taking cruises or traveling in general.

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.

Does this phrase mean no US citizens should take a cruise, or only those without underlying health conditions? 

This will have a major impact on the viability of forthcoming Regent cruises; those that we have been on usually have between 60-80% US guests on board, some with health conditions.

We were all in for the March 14th cruise but are now REALLY giving this matter further consideration.  

The way I read the statement they are saying NO U.S. citizen should travel by cruise ship and if you go, and should you get quarantined in some foreign port, don't count on the Government to come get you.

Edited by shuguley
  • Like 3

I read it as US citizens should not travel by cruise ship.  Particularly US citizens who have risk factors. 

If nothing else, fair warning has been given that While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, shuguley said:

We were all in for the March 14th cruise but are now REALLY giving this matter further consideration.  

The way I read the statement they are saying NO U.S. citizen should travel by cruise ship and if you go, and should you get quarantined in some foreign port, don't count on the Government to come get you.

We had a March 8 cruise booked, but we cancelled because my husband just got a cancer diagnosis.  We could have done it, as it was only one week, but did we want to be on a ship that could not dock?  I heard, but not sure that Mexico is not allowing our ships to dock???

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

We had a March 8 cruise booked, but we cancelled because my husband just got a cancer diagnosis.  We could have done it, as it was only one week, but did we want to be on a ship that could not dock?  I heard, but not sure that Mexico is not allowing our ships to dock???

Carol,

I will email you tomorrow a.m. Concerned of course, for the both you xo

In addition to the U.S. State Department's travel advisory, the C.D.C. has now said,  "Because of the unusual nature of the novel coronavirus outbreak, the US government is advising US travelers, particularly those with underlying health issues, to defer cruise ship travel."

They've got my attention. 😮

• Like 1

I probably have a different perspective on this since I'm already on a cruise and have been since coronavirus was still mostly confined to a specific region in China.  The first US case -- in WA state -- was identified the day before I left my home in Bellingham, WA, on January 22 to travel to San Francisco to board the Mariner.  

Not all cruise ships are created equal and differences in itineraries can impact the risk a great deal. Larger ships (e.g. 2500+ passengers) that sail shorter itineraries (4-15 days) with frequent guest population turnover, for example, might be at higher risk simply due to the numbers of individuals boarding and exiting the ship carrying with them whatever bugs they acquired prior to embarkation, and carrying off anything they picked up during the cruise. Ships that have visited hot spots whether to take on new passengers or simply as an itinerary port of call with excursions for cruise guests are at greater risk simply due to the presence of the virus in the locale which means that someone could inadvertently bring the virus onboard.  This was a risk prior to coronavirus and will remain a risk after this runs its course.

I feel that Regent Seven Seas corporate office as well as the staff and crew of the Mariner have taken all reasonable precautions to keep us at a safe distance from this new threat. As more has been discovered about the nature of the virus and its method of spreading, more stringent precautions have been implemented including enhanced boarding protocols and deep cleaning on the ship. Travel advisories, CDC and WHO advice are all taken into account as Regent works out our itinerary. It has been changing a lot over the past couple of days and we have word that there will be more changes coming in the next day or so.

Everyone has to decide for themselves the level of risk they're willing to assume.  But I still contend that the risk is variable depending on the ship, previous and planned itineraries, and corporate practices to reduce that risk.  As an aside, I haven't heard any warnings about visiting nursing homes, assisted living facilities, or other places where vulnerable populations gather.  Why?  I would suggest it's because the risk is variable depending on the circumstances, location, and past history.

Lana (currently in Adelaide, Australia on the Mariner) 

• Like 5

Haaretz, the Israeli newspaper,  and i24 TV in Israel are reporting that Israel is banning non Israel citizens from entering Israel if they have visited Egypt within the previous 14 days.  This was announced by the Interior Minister earlier today because of a death of a tourist in Egypt . That would seem to cancel the stop in Israel of both the Mariner and Voyager in April.   

I have not been able to locate the statement on the Government of Israel website, but both news outlets seem to be credible.   There does not appear to be a statement yet from Regent on  this new development  , which is understandable as it is so new. 

However with this news and the death in Egypt as well as the quarantine of people on the Nile Cruise In Luxor because of the Coronovirus, the stop in Egypt would also seem ill advised for the health of guests and Crew, not to mention the reputation of Regent. 

17 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Currently on Splendor.  We docked 2 days ago in Acapulco and are currently at anchor in Cabo San Lucas with normal tendering operations.   What is the source of your statement regarding our ships in Mexico?

1 hour ago, Kwaj girl said:

Currently on Splendor.  We docked 2 days ago in Acapulco and are currently at anchor in Cabo San Lucas with normal tendering operations.   What is the source of your statement regarding our ships in Mexico?

Not sure of her source but I cannot find any notices about not docking in Mexico (except for an MSC ship).  

1 hour ago, MissKins said:

Haaretz, the Israeli newspaper,  and i24 TV in Israel are reporting that Israel is banning non Israel citizens from entering Israel if they have visited Egypt within the previous 14 days.  This was announced by the Interior Minister earlier today because of a death of a tourist in Egypt . That would seem to cancel the stop in Israel of both the Mariner and Voyager in April.   

I have not been able to locate the statement on the Government of Israel website, but both news outlets seem to be credible.   There does not appear to be a statement yet from Regent on  this new development  , which is understandable as it is so new. 

However with this news and the death in Egypt as well as the quarantine of people on the Nile Cruise In Luxor because of the Coronovirus, the stop in Egypt would also seem ill advised for the health of guests and Crew, not to mention the reputation of Regent. 

Yes, depending on how long the order stays in effect, it would appear that upcoming cruise stops will likely have to be changed.  The current report on i24 says anyone returning from abroad must self quarantine for 14 days.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/1583776776-netanyahu-all-those-traveling-to-israel-ordered-to-14-day-quarantine

Spain had a huge spike - cases doubled.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-09/spain-says-coronavirus-cases-almost-doubled-overnight-to-999

It is not out of the question that Spain may take serious measures like Italy. If that happens, it's got to be a whole new ball game. Between Spain and Italy tanking Med voyages with it, and the Canadian/US governments warning against taking cruises, the cruise industry may have some very difficult choices to make.. or have decisions made for them.

• Like 3

The latest email sent to US passengers:

To reinforce Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ priority of keeping our extended family at the center of everything we do, I am pleased to announce enhancements to Regent Reassurance, which provide even more flexibility to give you the confidence in taking a Regent cruise.

For all voyages through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full now have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking made within one year on any Regent voyage sailing between today and December 31, 2022. Regent Reassurance is applicable to all existing and new reservations made by April 30, 2020. We hope this enhanced Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and helps you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage or to sail on a future cruise.

We look forward to welcoming you on board soon. 

Sincerely,

Jason Montague
President & CEO

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, taxare said:

The latest email sent to US passengers:

To reinforce Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ priority of keeping our extended family at the center of everything we do, I am pleased to announce enhancements to Regent Reassurance, which provide even more flexibility to give you the confidence in taking a Regent cruise.

For all voyages through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full now have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking made within one year on any Regent voyage sailing between today and December 31, 2022. Regent Reassurance is applicable to all existing and new reservations made by April 30, 2020. We hope this enhanced Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and helps you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage or to sail on a future cruise.

We look forward to welcoming you on board soon. 

Sincerely,

Jason Montague
President & CEO

Received this as well.  It is nice to see that Regent is proactively reaching out to us, and letting us know about the generous cancellation window.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Received this as well.  It is nice to see that Regent is proactively reaching out to us, and letting us know about the generous cancellation window.  

I just wish they would reach out to us with their plan to mothball ships and/or avoid bankruptcy.

Marc

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I just wish they would reach out to us with their plan to mothball ships and/or avoid bankruptcy.

Marc

Lots of unknowns, and certainly frustrating and stressful for those with near term cruises.  It is hard to judge based on comments here, but clearly there are plenty of folks who are saying (at this point) they plan to sail as planned.  I have no idea what amount of guest cancellations would prompt an outright cancellation of the cruise itself.

6 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

I have no idea what amount of guest cancellations would prompt an outright cancellation of the cruise itself.

If the cancellations of the role call members for the March 14 Splendor is any indication of the general cruise passengers’ position, this is a concern for the viability of that sailing.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, witt's end said:

If the cancellations of the role call members for the March 14 Splendor is any indication of the general cruise passengers’ position, this is a concern for the viability of that sailing.  

They won’t cancel individual cruises; that doesn’t save any money.  They need to park a ship for three to six months.  Maybe move a ship to Caribbean like they did in 2003. 

marc 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

They won’t cancel individual cruises; that doesn’t save any money.  They need to park a ship for three to six months.  Maybe move a ship to Caribbean like they did in 2003. 

marc 

What happened in 2003?

7 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

In 2003 Radisson kept Diamond in Caribbean instead of moving it to Mediterranean.  Voyager stayed in Mediterranean her maiden year. 

marc

was it something to do with global events though? (just curious)