Comparing Crown and Star

Scubadoc

We just returned from our second cruise on the crown. We have loved both cruises. They were our first two princess cruises. In July we will be on the star in Alaska. When I booked that cruise I thought it was an identical ship to the  Crown. Now I understand it is not. For those of you who have been on both would you compare and contrast them? What differences will we notice and what are the positives and the negatives?

Here are some specific things I am interested in –  we have been in a vista suite E733 on both cruises on the crown. We will be in the same room on the star. Is it identical? Same size balcony and room?

Also  we love the spa on the crown but feel like the thermal suite is lacking a little bit. Does the star have a large hot tub or other pool in the thermal suite like some ships?

Thanks! 

The Star has a similar layout but has one less deck, 500 less passengers and a covered pool. The Star will seem less crowded. I don't know if the Star has an International Cafe. When I sailed on her, it did not.

Edited by Coral

Crown Princess has Adagio and Sabatini's on Sun Deck (16).  Star Princess doesn't have Adagio at all and has Sabatini's Trattoria which is on Promenade Deck (7). Crown has Riviera Deck which is a passenger cabin deck. Star doesn't have that deck.

Edited by Thrak

Star has an indoor pool in the conservatory which is needed for AK cruises.  Skywalkers on the Star is suspended over the stern of the ship where Crown has it moved back next to the funnel.  Suite E733 is the same on both ships.  Crown has the Salty Dog Grill, the Mix and Cafe Caribe where the Star has the more plain pizzeria and Trident Grill (no Cafe Caribe).  Same spa layout on both ships but on the Star a smaller thermal suite and on the Sun deck in the Spa. 

The Star is a former design with the Crown being a later design of the Grand class ships. 

The Star does not have OM installed and the older very slow internet.

BTW Star is going to P&O Australia to be refitted and renamed the fall of 2021.

Edited by satxdiver

Despite being scheduled to leave the fleet next year, the Star is still scheduled to be upgraded to the faster medallion net internet service this year. It should be up and running for my HI circle cruise over Thanksgiving.

I have now been on the Star five times, after a B2B last September.  I have also been on the Emerald and Ruby, sisters of the Crown.

I like E733 on the Star, and very similar or identical to E733 on the Crown.

Sabatini's Trattoria is wonderful on the Star.  The lamb skewers are fantastic!

The Star has a wonderful dessert buffet area at the Horizon Court.  Fab!🙂🍷🍧🍨🎂🍰🍮🍪🌝

Enjoy!⛴🐋🌅🌈🌠

18 hours ago, polmcs said:

Despite being scheduled to leave the fleet next year, the Star is still scheduled to be upgraded to the faster medallion net internet service this year. It should be up and running for my HI circle cruise over Thanksgiving.

It is actually scheduled to go live on June 12th ... 

But, for the OP, even the MedallionNet will still be spotty in parts of Alaska.