Lisbon

SharonK

I can’t find any information in the ports of call section of these boards on Lisbon.  We will be stopping there on our April 17 transatlantic cruise and I’m looking for tour recommendations.  I would appreciate any help.  I can’t find any way of searching these boards.  I know we used to be able to do that.  Am I missing it somewhere?

Did you post your question on the ports of call forum? 
we have been there 3 times did the HoHo one time, took the shuttle to city center the other times and explored on our own.  Found a great little hole in the wall place for lunch and shared a table with some locals, fun afternoon.

Just now, jelayne said:

Did you post your question on the ports of call forum? 
we have been there 3 times did the HoHo one time, took the shuttle to city center the other times and explored on our own.  Found a great little hole in the wall place for lunch and shared a table with some locals, fun afternoon.

I wanted to but there was no where to post it as there was nothing for Portugal.  Thanks for your help and suggestions.

4 minutes ago, hiccups said:

The "Search" function is in the upper right hand corner (look for the magnifying glass).  You can search this forum or all the boards.

I did a search there but only came up with general info about Lisbon- nothing from individuals on these boards.

We did the Sintra Cascais ship tour.  Not really big on Ships tours but had a lot of OBC to burn off.  It was one of the best tours we have ever taken.    The castle is very much like the Disney land castle.

4 minutes ago, SharonK said:

I did a search there but only came up with general info about Lisbon- nothing from individuals on these boards.

Go to the Ports of Call section, and search under "Other Mediterranean Ports."  There is information on Lisbon there--not sure of the age of it, but I know I found threads before we went there in 2018.

1 hour ago, SharonK said:

There are two Search features shown as magnifying glasses. The large one up top of the page and the small one in the bubble under your Cruise Critic User Name. Also, it makes a difference in the device you use. See this thread:

We have been to Lisbon.

On the Trip Advisor site you will see bars on the right side of the header. Click on that and there will be topics like tours and travel forum. 

For a generic tour you can use the HOHO buses or work with your fellow passengers in the Roll Call for a custom tour.

If you are into Portugese history you know the various influences of culture and a visit to the Tile Museum is illuminating. If you are a foodie try the fish cakes at Time Out Market. There are many sites to see near the piers. 

There are level parts of the city but much of the city is known for it's steep streets with walkways paved in tile. Be sure to wear comfortable substantial shoes.

9 minutes ago, alcpa1 said:

We have been to Lisbon.

On the Trip Advisor site you will see bars on the right side of the header. Click on that and there will be topics like tours and travel forum. 

For a generic tour you can use the HOHO buses or work with your fellow passengers in the Roll Call for a custom tour.

If you are into Portugese history you know the various influences of culture and a visit to the Tile Museum is illuminating. If you are a foodie try the fish cakes at Time Out Market. There are many sites to see near the piers. 

There are level parts of the city but much of the city is known for it's steep streets with walkways paved in tile. Be sure to wear comfortable substantial shoes.

Thanks for this helpful info!

Helpful if you speak Portuguese.  Taxi and bus drivers usually do not speak much English or Spanish.  Visit the square where the church,  museum,  and impressive Jerónimos Monastery where Vasco De Gama is buried.  It is just a short walk from the cruise pier.  Lisbon is an easy city to explore on your own  by foot,  HOHO,  or public transportation.  Food is excellent if you like seafood.

Edited by Justalone

What we do for each port is google the top 10 things to see, a weekend in , 24hrs in and shore bee .  Then go through the list on google to see what you want to see.  After that use google maps to mark where they are/ distances- this may rule some out.  After that check transport take public transport to highest/ furthest out and work down / back towards ship.

In Lisbon we had 2 days so my way may be hard to condense into 1 day.  Took public bus from across form pier to highest point and worked the way down through the old streets and squares stopping in the plazas churches I had pre-marked.  Then we took a tram up one of the other areas and worked way down to main bollovards and main very large plaza at sea front.  I will see if I can find my list, map and public transport numbers and post back.  I speak no Portuguese or Spanish and we did fine using public transport - bus and tram its very cheep and easy to do. 

https://lisbonlisboaportugal.com/Alfama-Lisbon/Alfama-district-lisbon.html

To do the Alfama district (old town narrow alley ways and lovely plazas) we took a bus from  the cruise port ( straight across the rd to Museu Militar then cross over again to bus stop) take bus up steep hills to Largo da Graca from there you can work way down to a point were you can cross over to do the other district below

https://lisbonlisboaportugal.com/Baixa-Lisbon/baixa-district-lisbon.html

We just got back from a trip to Lisbon and had a great time.   Sounds like you do not have a lot of time there.   Here are a few highlights that I would consider.  You can google any of these:

• Time Out Market - The local version of a global chain  - A bit noisy if you are sensitive to sounds, but a neat place.  If you walk north of there, there is the famous street car and funicular train.  Lots of great restaurants and low prices
  • Sintra - That is a full day outing but worthwhile to see if the weather is nice. 
  • Castelo St. Jorge - Excellent view of the city
  • Belem - Belem Tower/Padrao dos Descobrimentos
  • Santa Justa Lift

We did the HOHO and it worked well for us to see the local highlights - Sintra was a separate trip and we needed to walk up a relatively steep hill to get to Castelo St. Jorge.

The subway and streetcars were great.   I think you can buy a day pass, if my memory serves me correctly.   We were there in September so would have been a lot busier.

I would definitely go back again.

Have a pastal de nata when you are there - They are everywhere and very sweet!

10 hours ago, SharonK said:

I can’t find any information in the ports of call section of these boards on Lisbon.  We will be stopping there on our April 17 transatlantic cruise and I’m looking for tour recommendations.  I would appreciate any help.  I can’t find any way of searching these boards.  I know we used to be able to do that.  Am I missing it somewhere?

I have been to Lisbon twice.  Love that city and Portugal.   The ship ports downhill from St. Georges Castle.  The hill is steep, but it is very scenic.  You don't need a guide to visit the castle.

https://www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing/castle.html

There is a lot more to see of the city.

Check out this information:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g189158-Activities-Lisbon_Lisbon_District_Central_Portugal.html

Last time we were in Lisbon we took the shuttle bus from the ship to the Hard Rock Cafe. I wished we had just crossed the road and walked into the town, as the bus had to use the one way system and it would have easier just to cross the road.

i have attached a photo to show you the area that we were moored at.

In the past we have been to the Belem Tower and also Sinatra.

C3B8EFF1-446B-40EA-B67C-B1273F04F6F9.jpeg