Alaska Cruise Tour Question

Kansas Gal

Looking at doing a Yukon & Denali Cruise tour this summer.  I see they offer a meal plan for the land portion.  Has anybody here used it?  I'm wondering just what it covers, I'm sure you won't be able to just go into any restaurant and order anything.  It seems very cheap, having been to Alaska three times before (but never to the Yukon) and I know how expensive things can be there.

5 minutes ago, Kansas Gal said:

Looking at doing a Yukon & Denali Cruise tour this summer.  I see they offer a meal plan for the land portion.  Has anybody here used it?  I'm wondering just what it covers, I'm sure you won't be able to just go into any restaurant and order anything.  It seems very cheap, having been to Alaska three times before (but never to the Yukon) and I know how expensive things can be there.

We didn't get the meal plan for the land portion of our cruise/tour. 

Reasons:

1) we don't eat that much.  

2)  there were several either lunches or dinners included in the various excursions we did during the land tour

3) we hit the grocery store in our first town and bought crackers, fruit, cheese, sodas, breakfast rolls.  Since we tend to only eat 2 meals a day anyway, this was sufficient for us.

4)  You can just go to a restaurant on your own, and probably get a good meal for less than the package plan.  I'll point out the servings are typically quite large (1 order good for 2 people).  

Edited by Shmoo here

2 hours ago, Kansas Gal said:

My 3-day Meal Plan cost $349 p/p in 2017.  In 2019, I opted out of the Meal Plan and spent around $140.  Alof the meals must be consumed on HAL properties that accept the vouchers.  To be cost effective, you have to eat the most expensive items on the menu that includes salad, entree, dessert, and beverage.  There are lots of other dining choices on the McKinley Resort properties to save lots of money.

I have experienced both sides and would not purchase the plan.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.  I assume Holland America doesn't actually own properties in the Yukon (i.e. Dawson and Whitehorse) and they just put you in a regular hotel.  So the vouchers would probably only be good at these hotels?  I wasn't sure how many restaurants might be in these more remote areas.

40 minutes ago, Kansas Gal said:

I wasn't sure how many restaurants might be in these more remote areas.

You'd be surprised! Click

https://www.google.com/search?q=whitehorse+yukon+restaurants&oq=whitehorse+yukon+restaurants&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.23466j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

and 

https://www.google.com/search?q=dawson+yukon+restaurants&oq=dawson+yukon+restaurants&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0.5118j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

and you'll find several rated 4 to 5 stars in each place! But I can't tell how close any are to the hotel that they'll put you in.

Edited by catl331
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Kansas Gal said:

Thanks for the info.  I assume Holland America doesn't actually own properties in the Yukon (i.e. Dawson and Whitehorse) and they just put you in a regular hotel.  So the vouchers would probably only be good at these hotels?  I wasn't sure how many restaurants might be in these more remote areas.

We did a 14 day Land-Sea cruise that had Dawson and Whitehourse as stops in 2016.  We did not buy the meal plan due to the cost and because you were relegated to using the restaurant in the Westmark hotels (HAL).  We wanted the ability to sample different eating spots in each of the towns.  HAL does own the Westmark hotels in both Whitehorse and Dawson.  There are enough restaurants in each of those towns to find something that meets your needs. We talked to a couple people in our touring group who did buy the meal package who said the vouchers worked fine and they were satisfied with the plan but missed the ability to sample other eateries in each town.

I am not sure if the current plan is any different than the plan that was available back in 2016. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kansas Gal said:

Since the Yukon is in Canada you will pay for your meals in Canadian dollars.   Look carefully at how many breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals are included.  Breakfast is usually a full buffet or continental because they are feeding a lot of tour groups in the morning. The meal plan covers the full breakfast buffet.   The restaurants in the hotels are good but you are giving up the ability to choose from a variety of very good places to eat in those locations if you choose the meal plan.  The Westmark Hotel in Dawson City is owned by HAL.  HAL sold the Whitehorse property a few years ago but still uses that hotel and convention center for their tours.  

We have really enjoyed our Yukon cruisetours!

• Thanks 1

We did the 13 day tour. I concur with other posters. We did not take the meal plan and were glad we didn’t.  Many times we only wanted a bowl of soup or a light snack. The people we talked to that had the plan all said it was too much food and too much money. Our guide always gave us direction to several nearby restaurants. Have fun!

We did the 10 land and sea tour, with a budget of $700 for food.  Between breakfast bars, Canadian Dollar exchange rate, trying to eat one inexpensive or grocery store meal per day, Costco entering Alaska (reducing restaurant costs), and sticking to local meats (reindeer, Salmon), we came in at $350, half of budget!

I recommend the Red Mammoth Bistro in Dawson City, and the Pizza Place in Denali (reindeer and elk toppings).

I personally heard two tour guides talk about Westmark Dining numbers with concern and relief.  It was my impression that there is a quota or commission involved.

• Thanks 1