Rony's, taxi, or resort transportation?

houseofduck

We will be stopping in Roatan soon.  Our ship will dock in Coxen Hole.  There will be at least 5 of us, but possibly up to 9.  We just want to go to West Bay for the beach/snorkeling.  We don't want to do any other side trips.  We probably wouldn't even need much in terms of resort amenities, maybe just restrooms.  Should we book a private tour (or beach shuttle) with Rony's?  We may not want to stay for the full time with the beach shuttle.  Would a private tour make sense if we only want to go to the beach?  Would a taxi or arranging a day pass with a resort make more sense?  When you do a day pass with a resort, are there set times for departure and return to the ship like there would be with Rony's beach shuttle?

I would appreciate any advice!

Rony's isn't the best option.  Day pass will be between $35 and $50 per person. But most will bring you back t the ship when ever you want to return.

Taxi runs $25 for 2 + $10 for each additional passenger.  Each way.  Call it
$120 RT with tip.   If you don't need a lounger or just want to walk up to a bar for something to drink or eat,  might be a cheaper way to go.  Otherwise do a resort...Beachers, Bananarama, Infinity Bay, Paradise Beach, et.al..

Remember though that unlike other ports, in Roatan, taxis don't wait around beach resorts or hotels for fares.  So you'll need to arrange with the driver to return and pick you up or, trust one of the resorts will call you a taxi when ready to come back.

Thank you!

I was going to purchase a day pass through shoreexcursioneer.com, but was worried that we would have to stay the entire time.  We may end up staying the entire time, but who knows how we will feel.  There are children involved!

But, maybe, you  have to book directly with the resort to leave on your own time?

Edited by houseofduck

2 hours ago, houseofduck said:

Thank you!

I was going to purchase a day pass through shoreexcursioneer.com, but was worried that we would have to stay the entire time.  We may end up staying the entire time, but who knows how we will feel.  There are children involved!

But, maybe, you  have to book directly with the resort to leave on your own time?

Easy to book DIY.  Reviews here on Beachers, BananRama, Paradise Beach, Infinity Bay and others.

Or check Trip Advisor.  All have websites. Google for links.

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Remember though that unlike other ports, in Roatan, taxis don't wait around beach resorts or hotels for fares.  So you'll need to arrange with the driver to return and pick you up or, trust one of the resorts will call you a taxi when ready to come back.

If you take a taxi, is it common to ask to pay on the return trip?

10 minutes ago, houseofduck said:

If you take a taxi, is it common to ask to pay on the return trip?

With a group greater than 4 any of the private driver companies  will be $25pp for a personal driver for the day. Of course, if you have 9, you would need quite a large van so it would be best to have some idea of this before the day. I know you say you only want to go to the beach but having your own driver allows you to be flexible in the day in case you want to see or visit some where else, the place you choose doesn’t suit, the weather changes etc. We have taken this option several times, although it is an expensive option for two. We find transport on Roatan to be expensive and unregulated compared to other ports.

I personally wouldn’t be comfortable taking a taxi and relying on having it come back, especially on a cruise ship day. Keep in mind for a group of 9 you may in fact need two taxis. Not sure what experience Crew has with this option? 

However, I see Shore excursioneer has a sale on many of its tours in Roatan at the moment. They are a broker so are basically selling the resort package and taking a cut. Sometimes they are more expensive, sometimes not. I haven’t actually used them in Roatan ( but have elsewhere).  I recall other people saying they were able to specify a return time when they arrive - but not sure that it is as flexible as being able to leave anytime, as you would if you had your own driver. However I see Bananarama on sale for $30pp, which sounds reasonable for return transport, a drink and lounger. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Look at Bananaramadive. They offer various beach deals for cruisers. Love this place. Things to do, good snorkeling, good drinks, and food, and fantastic pizza. They pick and drop off at port.