More help with dinner reservations. Would you be party to my little white lie?

Petoonya

1 hour ago, GettotheSun said:

I agree.  I would complain if one or more people were eating with their hands, or at least asked to be moved.  That's a bit too real for me on vacation.

Heh-heh. It’s pretty gross! I’m going to do the right thing and extricate myself from dining with them and talk with NCL after I board. But there’s no way I can prevent others in the dining room from suffering. Their daughter has pleaded with them to straighten up and become a least a bit more Americanized especially with eating practices to no avail. Unfortunately you meet all kinds on cruises. Wish I could do more for those who will suffer thru it at neighboring tables. Thanks..

Edited by Petoonya

Just now, Petoonya said:

Heh-heh. It’s pretty gross! I’m going to do the right thing and extricate myself. But there’s no way I can prevent others in the dining room from suffering. Their daughter has pleaded with them to straighten up and become a least a bit more Americanized especially with eating practices to no avail. Unfortunately you meet all kinds on cruises. Wish I could do more for those who will suffer thru it at neighboring tables. Thanks..

Family situations can be really tough, and your situation is beyond tough.  I think you will have a great time - but stick to your guns and carve out lots of time for you, and for you and your husband.  There will be plenty of time you can all spend together that doesn't involve dining.  Easy for me to say, but try to just ignore those issues and you are doing the right thing by you and your husband booking your own dinners.  It's your vacation! 

3 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

Family situations can be really tough, and your situation is beyond tough.  I think you will have a great time - but stick to your guns and carve out lots of time for you, and for you and your husband.  There will be plenty of time you can all spend together that doesn't involve dining.  Easy for me to say, but try to just ignore those issues and you are doing the right thing by you and your husband booking your own dinners.  It's your vacation! 

You are an angel. thanks so much for your kind support.

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Heh-heh. It’s pretty gross! I’m going to do the right thing and extricate myself from dining with them and talk with NCL after I board. But there’s no way I can prevent others in the dining room from suffering. Their daughter has pleaded with them to straighten up and become a least a bit more Americanized especially with eating practices to no avail. Unfortunately you meet all kinds on cruises. Wish I could do more for those who will suffer thru it at neighboring tables. Thanks..

If DIL has pleaded with them about the eating habits, you've got nothing to hide. Tell both your son and DIL that frankly you are appalled by it and choose NOT to be part of it.

It's a fact not something you made up. Can't imagine what it's like , however if I were at a table next to them I would ask to be moved.

Don't know how long or many times they've come to the States, but they should certainly make a better effort to conform.

• Like 2

I think you have gotten the advice you needed as far as the canceled reservations. The only thing I would point out from your original post is that you mentioned making 2 reservations for 4 instead of a reservation for 8. That needs to be sorted out either now or the first day on the cruise. 2 reservations for 4 is not going to equal a table for 8. It's going to equal 2 tables of 4 that could be across the room from each other. Especially since you mentioned that you are making of the 4 reservations for you and a non-english speaking couple. Your group could easily end up in a situation where they cannot accommodate 6 at a table and the non-english speaking couple ends up at a table for 2 by themselves which I think they do not want. I would sort that out ahead and if you want to continue with the fiction change that reservation to 8 instead of the 2 4's.

On 1/27/2020 at 2:37 AM, Petoonya said:

The final decision is based on a cultural problem and a weak stomach. My DIL’s folks are from a third world country. It is their habit to eat with their hands as well as chew with their mouths wide open, so much so that chewed food falls on the plate. That’s when they truly enjoy their food. It’s worse when they are not. It has made me leave the table and vomit.

From which third world country are the inlaws?  Take them to the Philippines,  where you can book a Boodle Fight restaurant.  The table is covered with palm leaves, all food is put directly on the leaves, and no silverware is used.  Everyone is forced to wash their hands before the food is served, but other than a pile of rice placed in front of each person, the servings are family style, grab want you want.  Dropping food from your mouth onto the table is discouraged.

Let's face it. Whether it is customary in one's country to eat like that or not bad table manners are

everywhere. I make a beeline to an appetizer platter at Thanksgiving to get there before a certain

relative (born and raised in the USA) starts taking things, licking his fingers, then picks stuff up, puts

it down, etc. Nobody has the guts to call him on it. LOL In other words let's just say it is how

an individual chooses to eat.

You could save all the lying, sneaking around behind their back  and the  drama, which will result, and there will be bad feelings and possible ruin the vibe and possibly the friendships of the group on your cruise.  The simple solution to the issue, You should be honest and up front BEFORE the cruise. Tell them, you and your husband prefer late night dinners and want to eat at different restaurants. Also you can make the effort to do one night of early dinner seating with the group, you can eat something light and then eat later on.  Trust me they may want to do things on their own as well. I wish you luck, I have a feeling you have a complex backstory and drama behind this post. My advice be honest, I rather have you be honest, I can heal from honesty, than lie and not trust you. Again good luck

• Like 1

Since you've already made the decision that you won't be dining with them, the only real question is when you want to have the potential argument about it. Would you rather do it at home, when you aren't captive together for a week, or after you've boarded the ship, and have the potential to create tension at the start of the cruise that may last all week long and ruin your vacation. My personal opinion is that having the conversation beforehand is less risky.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2020 at 10:58 PM, mugtech said:

Tell them ahead of time, let them get the reservations correct.  Not sure how not telling them until the last minute will change anything, the  results will be the same, just more complicated., 

I would check ASAP and get your reservations right.  I do believe you, or someone, will be charged for a NoShow.