Live from the Explorer - The Caribbean Reunion Tour!

kjbacon

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I am SO sorry you will be leaving the ship.  Your comments and photos have been wonderful...  travel safely home!  And thank you for sharing the cruise with us.

Aw, thank you so much, you are very kind! It’s been such a great time and hard to believe it’s our last day. The weather went wonky on us last night, quite stormy, lots of seasick passengers and I’d say it’s a real toss up whether we will make it to the private island this morning. I’m thinking no but we will see.

The outdoor seating at Sette Mari was closed last night so we tried the suggestion of some of you and went to Compass Rose, requesting the quiet back area. Thank you, it was a world of difference and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

43F8FEB0-F6D3-4E3D-AF1E-9BFED506E487.thumb.jpeg.0e0a174ecf2b4f2806ab0a03c50edc7a.jpeg

This pasta dish, Farfalle Amatriciana, was absolutely delicious. Not my best picture but a dish that deserved to be posted!

Has our trip been perfect? No but I will be fair and address some of the hiccups tomorrow or after. Spoiler ... nothing that is a show stopper for us.

We have reservations in Prime 7 tonight but if the weather permits, we may just switch to one last Sette Mari under the stars ... TBD!

• Like 2

The good news is that I won a one dollar bet but the bad news is that the bet was that we wouldn’t make it to the private island. We were disappointed to miss it but not surprised based on the weather. We decided to give the spa another try and I’m glad we did. We had a fabulous couples massage called something like Restorative Salt Stone Massage and we loved it. Hot Himalayan rock salt and aromatic oils were artfully used by talented staff so I must now recommend the spa (after our earlier miss). They are new on Regent so I think they are working on getting their act together. In our two weeks, they made mighty strides. 

It looks like we are near Freeport and the weather is improved. I’m hoping for one more night in Sette Mari.

Todays lunch feature was a Greek BBQ and it was deliciously done. I’m afraid I was still too jellified from my massage to think to take pictures! 

Yesterday, was Sunday the Caviar and Champagne breakfast which I really enjoyed. Later was the spectacular Sunday Brunch spread and it seems to me that Sunday Caviar could be moved to another day (course you’d want to change the name then)! 

A2FE2D34-68ED-4007-96E8-4EA861837609.thumb.jpeg.db3f53039b6d62a8eaa18344b28b30b5.jpeg

4295AA88-488E-4949-AF55-96F8691741CD.thumb.jpeg.b2bc4563d877c538218a34a8e08ed523.jpeg

608D339F-A1B0-41EF-BBE7-EEC611ACDF90.thumb.jpeg.fddef265d2faba1c4fd7fe5e38813378.jpeg

I don’t think I made mention of our day in Saint Marten. It was a lovely port and one we hope to return to. The stop at Maho Beach is well worth it.

CD2BF8A0-BB84-4CED-847F-273781C27DCF.thumb.jpeg.cf4805486d5086bf12084a74c60d70f8.jpeg

A1F4D6C9-B86A-4F4B-880F-9ADC791EB7B3.thumb.jpeg.adf00c146935671a44fb7aeb8308a18f.jpeg

I best get some packing done for now so that we aren’t rushed through our last lovely evening.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:38 AM, Portolan said:

Favor to ask of those onboard Explorer: what beers are on offer (excluding Bud/Miller/Corona/Amstel)?

We'll be on Explorer in May and am debating putting in a special request for beer since past experience has been uneven (like sometimes Sierra Nevada IPA or equivalent or no IPAs at all).  BTW, on our recent (first) Viking Ocean cruise, there was an extensive beer menu including 2 Belgian Abbey ales and 4 Norwegian beers (one of which was a really good IPA).  It would be nice if Regent gave the same support to beer aficionados as they do for wine connoisseurs. 

Portolan, just help my poor brain understand.  When you put in the special request for beer, do you PAY for that?  Still hoping the wine is better than we think/not excited with the list/offering I was given by Regent for the CA red wine I can have in suite that is being served in restaurants.

If not too late would love if someone posts the Red Wine lists of bottles available for upgrade..

7 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

Portolan, just help my poor brain understand.  When you put in the special request for beer, do you PAY for that?  Still hoping the wine is better than we think/not excited with the list/offering I was given by Regent for the CA red wine I can have in suite that is being served in restaurants.

If not too late would love if someone posts the Red Wine lists of bottles available for upgrade..

I would like to see the upgrade wine list too if anyone has something current. 

2 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

No charge in my experience.  I don't think you can go too crazy like requesting an Abbey ale that's very expensive or rare.  I've asked for and received widely available craft beers.

On one memorable cruise, I mentioned to the F&B manager that while the food was great, the best selection was very limited (no IPAs).  She arranged to purchase some Sierra Nevada at the next port and contacted me to advise that the bar staff would have them available if requested by name.  This was in Europe, so it would have taken a bit of effort.

Subsequently I've put in a request in advance.

4 hours ago, Portolan said:

No charge in my experience.  I don't think you can go too crazy like requesting an Abbey ale that's very expensive or rare.  I've asked for and received widely available craft beers.

On one memorable cruise, I mentioned to the F&B manager that while the food was great, the best selection was very limited (no IPAs).  She arranged to purchase some Sierra Nevada at the next port and contacted me to advise that the bar staff would have them available if requested by name.  This was in Europe, so it would have taken a bit of effort.

Subsequently I've put in a request in advance.

Who do you contact/ask for specific requests?

And just like that, it’s someone else’s turn. Disembarkation was smoothly done and I recommend having one of these in the Coffee Connection while you wait for your number to be called. 

79509516-979B-497F-A9A9-E0DD437B7DD8.thumb.jpeg.5394a93967f52497b0574241fb0ef9fe.jpeg

Steamed vodka and hot chocolate, not too shabby! 

Speaking of vodka, the winner of our taste off was Absolute Elyx, second place to Beluga Noble, and lots of honorable mentions.

Our last meal was great. Sette Mari, but indoors due to weather.

471BBB8F-A5E5-4C28-B9D8-C52CDF947128.thumb.jpeg.de23d79042c404026d631b8c1c5604ce.jpeg

CB20A46D-6032-4F6F-A181-0B77ACB2DFCD.thumb.jpeg.267a4857f935628d5ca7983c1d59b697.jpeg

7478D41D-C03C-4D5E-B716-EBAB43F03F12.thumb.jpeg.6cf4850e927a2676f12a0f224d977650.jpeg

B3BDDB1D-A8EC-49C6-9B23-CC988BFF10BD.thumb.jpeg.e53a42aa395edbdf516c68905f23bb34.jpeg

Spaghetti Puttanesca, Ziti Bolognese, Lamb Shank Braised in Red Wine, and Filet Mignon with Pancetta, Fontina, and Ratatouille were all delicious.

Our last bite at Cocktail Hour was a yummy Spinach and Artichoke Dip. 

26A39FEF-287D-4886-9076-1D399873E252.thumb.jpeg.13314ed15755a68c5a34a7f4e9e207ec.jpeg

Cheers from our last dessert!

F5ED8F27-CB51-4BA3-AE93-92E61CEB6F46.thumb.jpeg.81fc70dffcf7812672279e16af530bc3.jpeg

We were also on this cruise and made a last-minute change from the St Lucia bus/sailing tour, mainly because they changed the time from 6 hours to 7 1/2 hours. We did the Rain Forest Aerial Tram and it was wonderful! Very peaceful and beautiful! Only about 25 minutes van transport to the rain forest. After hearing lots of negative things about the other one, we were very glad that we switched👍🏻 We also LOVED the Champagne Snorkel (by boat) in Dominica- it was our favorite excursion. We agree with this blog that the snorkel tour in Aruba had far too many people - and many who had difficulty getting in and out of the water. Another tip-we booked the St Kitts Rail and Sail which was a Regent Choice. You can do just the train part and that is free. The catamaran was ok, but not worth the additional charge. 

Karen thanks so much for this lovely thread. Your food photos have been great looks like a few new pasta dishes?
You mentioned to start this was your friends first Regent  cruise? How did they enjoy it?
Looks as though you have a wonderful cruise. Thanks again and safe travels home,

Jean.