Water Island, Sapphire Beach or Secret Harbor from Crown?

volk904

We will be in St Thomas in 2 weeks. Been to Meagans Beach, Coki Beach and 3 times to St John’s.  Looking to try something new this year. 
seems like people suggest Water Island, Sapphire Beach and Secret Harbor. Water Island sounds interesting but with the ship arriving at 8 it would seem the 9 or 10am Ferry is the earliest we can go but my concern is the return trip. Would we have trouble getting on the 3:15 Ferry?

love to here some feedback on all 3 beaches?

Water Island is closest to Crown, but I have read that it gets very busy when there are ships in port. We've never been there, so I can't help you with the ferry questions.

Sapphire is my favorite beach -- it is beautiful and a must see/do, IMO.  Secret Harbor is nice as well.  Both have a bar with food options and the natural shade is coming back.   

Hull Bay may be another option for you.  It would be about the same distance from Crown as Megan's.  Nice, uncrowded beach with a bar/restaurant--locals beach.  You would probably want to set up a time with your cab driver to come back for you as cabs there are not plentiful. 

Not many taxis want to go to Hull Bay unless you have a group. Taxi drivers don't like to go to "local" beaches because locals have their own transportation to beaches so taxi drivers can't get a fare back.

If you want to go to local beaches, best to rent a vehicle unless you have a group.

I learned long ago to never ask a taxi driver where the "Best" of anything is. It will always be the furthest from where you are so they can earn a higher fare. The "Best" will never be a few blocks away.😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2PinaColadas said:

Water Island is closest to Crown, but I have read that it gets very busy when there are ships in port. We've never been there, so I can't help you with the ferry questions.

Sapphire is my favorite beach -- it is beautiful and a must see/do, IMO.  Secret Harbor is nice as well.  Both have a bar with food options and the natural shade is coming back.   

Hull Bay may be another option for you.  It would be about the same distance from Crown as Megan's.  Nice, uncrowded beach with a bar/restaurant--locals beach.  You would probably want to set up a time with your cab driver to come back for you as cabs there are not plentiful. 

How are the prices at Sapphire?

On 1/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, volk904 said:

How are the prices at Sapphire?

We were at Sapphire a couple of years ago. I thought the prices were reasonable. Maybe $10-15 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. Drinks weren’t bad either, $3 for a beer. The bar makes an outstanding Painkiller too.  Nice view of St. John.

There are umbrellas at Sapphire now.

Yes a specific return ferry from Water Island can indeed be tough. We’ve seen people waiting for the ferry (two in a row once) only to miss it because more aggressive folks pushed ahead of them. Honeymoon also gets crazy with the excursions stopping in, and more so with a ship docked at Crown.

Secret Harbor can also make you think “sardines” on busier days, and day visitors to the resort are usually confined to one section when renting lounges.

Sapphire would be our choice of the 3 - Gorgeous beach and water and a little more room to find a nice spot. 

If you are worried about the ferry to water island, there is a tour called ConTiki that leaves from the cruise ship docks, goes over to the island and gives you a couple hours of beach time.

Water island is AMAZING, and honeymoon beach is about as picturesque as you can get for a Caribbean beach.   Bonus: there are nearly always sea turtles inside the swim area.

I stayed on the island for a week (twice) and even with 2 or 3 party boats on big ship days, it never feels "crowded"

Pro Tip:  Heidi's Grill (left side of the beach facing land) has KILLER fish tacos!

We’ve felt like sardines on HB with just 1 ship in Crown and 1 in Havensight. The excursions that stop in add to that crowded vibe, and the excursion operators don’t do a good job of keeping their boats out of the swimming area which is in front of Dinghy’s.

So just another perspective. WI and HB were once a great option, but like other spots HB has become very popular with the bigger day visiting crowds of today...

• 5 months later...
On 2/6/2020 at 8:03 PM, blue_water said:

We’ve felt like sardines on HB with just 1 ship in Crown and 1 in Havensight. The excursions that stop in add to that crowded vibe, and the excursion operators don’t do a good job of keeping their boats out of the swimming area which is in front of Dinghy’s.

So just another perspective. WI and HB were once a great option, but like other spots HB has become very popular with the bigger day visiting crowds of today...

Blue, can you tell me more about Water Island? When you get off the ferry is it right there within walking distance? Or do you have to get a cab?

Is there any snorkeling in the area or is it strictly just a relaxing hanging out at the beautiful beach day? 

Do they rent chairs/umbrella's there and if so do you know the prices? 

Thanks in advance. 

12 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Blue, can you tell me more about Water Island? When you get off the ferry is it right there within walking distance? Or do you have to get a cab?

Is there any snorkeling in the area or is it strictly just a relaxing hanging out at the beautiful beach day? 

Do they rent chairs/umbrella's there and if so do you know the prices? 

Thanks in advance. 

We haven’t been recently and someone living there can give you a better view of HB and snorkel areas. Search the TA STT forum (sort search results by date), or ask folks there for current feedback...

You need to get a ferry token at the office near Tickles’ Pub to board the ferry. Arriving you can rent a golf cart to get to HB and also tour the island. When we were there a lady who was staying on her boat gave us a ride to Dinghy’s food truck in HB in a small pick up for tips. Good food, free tables and lounges, swimming area there, contact them about umbrellas.

https://dinghysbeachbarandgrill.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Dinghysbeachbarandgrill/

At the other end of the beach was Heidi’s Honeymoon Grill - not a nice beach but a popular spot...

https://www.facebook.com/Heidishoneymoon/

Edited by blue_water

• 2 years later...
On 1/27/2020 at 3:26 PM, volk904 said:

We will be in St Thomas in 2 weeks. Been to Meagans Beach, Coki Beach and 3 times to St John’s.  Looking to try something new this year. 
seems like people suggest Water Island, Sapphire Beach and Secret Harbor. Water Island sounds interesting but with the ship arriving at 8 it would seem the 9 or 10am Ferry is the earliest we can go but my concern is the return trip. Would we have trouble getting on the 3:15 Ferry?

love to here some feedback on all 3 beaches?

Just now, coscab said:

I know this is an old post but I have the same question, anyone been to Sapphire Beach or Water Island recently, we will be going in March 2023, planning on snorkeling, would like to do both but only time for one.

We’ve seen folks left to wait for the next ferry from Water Island, it is small. Some were in line first but weren’t as aggressive as others…So that could be a concern. 

For snorkeling the recommended beaches are Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbor.

Coki is beautiful but just too busy for us.

The water at Secret Harbor is typically dead calm and you can snorkel there, good restaurant as well. But also crowded, reserve lounges/umbrellas from AA Divers in advance.

Sapphire has all the amenities as well, and offers a coral area and a seagrass area. Sapphire is our choice for the beach, water, and island views, others can give you more feedback on the snorkeling there vs the other two…

On 12/11/2022 at 6:08 PM, coscab said:

I know this is an old post but I have the same question, anyone been to Sapphire Beach or Water Island recently, we will be going in March 2023, planning on snorkeling, would like to do both but only time for one.

Just went to Sapphire last week. Last two times water was rough so had to go somewhere else after about an hour or so. will be happy to answer any specific question

Thanks for the reply

On 12/19/2022 at 11:45 AM, tunafish said:

Just went to Sapphire last week. Last two times water was rough so had to go somewhere else after about an hour or so. will be happy to answer any specific question

Thanks for the reply, we went there once a while ago, there was nothing there except some ducks with blue beaks, snorkeling wasn't the best but its easy to get to,  I think we will try it again in March.

I'm on St. Thomas right now.  Was at Sapphire, then Lindquist, then Coki.  We have a rental and a car.  Coki is marijuana beach and snorkeling not as good as the past.  Blasting 9000 decibel music.  Sapphire I didn't see any umbrellas.  We were only there an hour.  Lindquist was really nice.  Coral is unfortunately too bleached now but we did see a turtle and a ray.  Heading out to hike to Mermaids chair then Magens bay later today.  Pictures below are Lindquist.

PC240012.JPG

PC240019.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We rented from Dollar.  Through Expedia. About $400 for the 5 days.  Taxis are so expensive here especially if you like to check out certain places.  We went out to Mermaids Chair yesterday and Brewers beach.  I can't even imagine what the cab fare would be.  Speaking of Brewers, THIS is the beach for turtles.  Wow!!

• Like 1