Cruising While Pregnant

ti4m4t

This is NOT one of the 'do I need a doctor's note' or 'will I be denied boarding' posts. This is a question about actually being on the ship while pregnant and how did the experience differ from any other cruise trip.

We are sailing on the Disney Magic in February 2020, less than a month away, and I will be 16 weeks pregnant with our third. We are sailing with our kids, currently 5 and 2, along with in-laws and cousins. This is not my first cruise (I have cruised multiple times on different cruise lines) but it is my first Disney. 

Does being pregnant on a cruise actually change the experience that much? I really don't know how to word this question. I am not concerned about medical stuff (the nausea usually goes away for me before 14 weeks), just wondering if I will get a significantly different experience being pregnant on this cruise compared to all my other cruises, and if so, why and what can I do to prepare?

The only thing it will change is if you're used to drinking....assuming you won't be doing that.  For me, the 2nd tri-mester was the easiest....I say go for it!  You're still YOU....nothing has really changed, except you're carrying your next child.   Whatever you did before, you should still be able to do!  

• Like 1

I went on a cruise at about 18 weeks pregnant and it was lovely (no kids though). The only thing you probably will want to do is limit your sun exposure. Being out in the sun for long periods of time made me tired super quickly so I wore a giant floppy hat to help. Hydration was really important too. Otherwise have fun!

• Like 1

The only symptom in the first trimester was that I would have nausea if I didn't eat frequent, small meals.  The ship was very convenient for this since food is available everywhere and so I was able to enjoy my cruises.  My pregnant cruises were quite lovely (one to Alaska, the other to the Baltics).   A land tour to Alaska following my cruise- well - that was a little harder because there were times access to food was limited.  So make sure you stop to buy food or take some from the ship to always have snacks if you have that issue (you can take boxes of cereal and possibly yoghurt - I'm not sure about the rules on sealed yoghurt containers. ).  

You might be tired, so look over your excursions carefully and ensure they won't be overwhelming and also make sure you'll be close to a food source or bring snacks.  I really should have taken cereal from the ship to have on my cruise tour since I was stupidly hungry on the bus tour to Denali (you can bring food and hotels sell sandwiches but you shouldn't have unheated cold cuts, so I was a little stuck).

In Alaska,  my ob recommended against the helicopter tour.  When I asked him if it was dangerous, he told me no but said he always gets really dizzy on helicopters so he thought maybe I should skip it.  I did it and I was fine.  But be prepared to be more tired and to potentially not be able to do all of the excursions.  You might want to be smarter than me and not book any once in a lifetime trips when you are pregnant and try to book something where you won't be sad if you need to skip an excursion (in my defense I didn't realize I was pregnant until after I booked the cruise to the Baltics).  Everything actually worked out really well for me, but with hindsight I realize I could have been less lucky and wasted a lot of money.

I recently took a 10 night cruise on HAL while I was 14 weeks pregnant with my husband and 16 month old.  We had a great time.  I just made sure to nap when the little one napped.  I didn't have any issues with nausea.  I was probably a little more cautious with what I ate when I was off the ship than I normally would have been.  All of the workers on the ship were very accommodating to me and the little one.

The last cruise I took was when I was pregnant (and finally have one booked taking the kids for April!).... I had a great time.  As others mentioned, the restrictions on drinking and certain foods you would have anywhere.  The only other thing was that my OB had asked me to avoid hot tubs and since it was a little cool for the pool I spent a lot of time relaxing pool-side instead.  Have a great time being able to relax and enjoy with your family!!

• 2 weeks later...

We went on a cruise for our baby moon. I was 19 weeks. It was a Canadian cruise and pretty chilly, so no issues with being in the sun all day. We mostly just walked around the port cities and no crazy excursions. I tried to limit buffet food just because of germs, we stuck with the restaurants for dinner and lunch was usually at places where they serve you or dish out the food for you. No alcohol of course, avoided the smoking areas. I usually get a massage but skipped that. It was very tired overall during my pregnancy, so I was in bed by 8 after dinner. 

I cruised on Royal (Explorer) to Southern Caribbean while 17-18 weeks pregnant.  Changes:

- We avoided Caribbean cruise itineraries with Mexico, to limit potential Zika exposure.  (I also got mosquito repellent bracelets to wear on my wrist and ankle, which really seemed to work at I usually get bitten a ton but got only one bite the entire trip.)

- I avoided buffet sandwiches and soft cheeses, and asked at dinner about pasteurization before eating soft cheeses.

- I limited any alcohol (a few sips of DH's wine at a few of our specialty dining nights).  :(

- I limited my hot tub time to one 15 minute visit when it was cooler than usual, sitting only half in so my stomach wasn't submerged and I didn't elevate my temp.  :(

- I felt no guilt at having my husband take our son into the chilly pool every single day and only joining them sometimes.  :)

- I was exhausted.  DH was a trooper and took our son out of the cabin many mornings so I could get more sleep.  DS always wakes up early on vacation (sigh, no idea why), so that helped me feel functional for the day and limited/eliminated my nausea.  (Into the 3rd trimester, I still have nausea particularly if I don't get enough sleep.)  DS enjoyed getting a daily donut treat with dad before his second breakfast with all of us ~8am.

- I took the elevator (often with the toddler) with no guilt while DH walked up/down the stairs when the elevators were crowded, when in the past we all might have walked.

- Got round ligament pain only once, while walking back to the cruise terminal, but DH took the heavy beach bag from me (while carrying our not quite 3 yo) since we initially weren't sure why I was hurting as it presented differently than it had before.

- I didn't lift our suitcases.

- After a Royal Caribbean employee told me I could avoid the metal detector and pointed out the sign (which says pregnant women shouldn't go through, not just that they have the option to skip), I skipped it going forward in favor of the pat down.

I didn't need to modify any excursions, because we were more restricted by what DS could go on (ahem, Aruba, where there was virtually nothing he could do).  We did low key toddler-interesting things such as a little train ride through town, a glass bottom boat, a beach bed, and a (non-inclusive) beach day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It wasn’t the same...I also sailed at 13 weeks with my third. Ours were 2 and 4 at the time.

I did have a wine spritzer or two while we were away, but I’m used to drinking while sailing (hubby and I switch turns). We’re not having any more, but I said I wouldn’t do it again. [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums