Please fix your advertising, Oceania!

Hokapontas

I was away for the last couple weeks and got three avertorials from Oceania in the post. In the pictures, women were always wearing drapey dresses and pearls, and all but two photos had the men wearing jackets. One of those guys was exercising. 

What is the point of this exercise? People like me cruise on O because we don't like formal nights. 

All new clients will be bringing a jacket - it seemed last year thet maybe half of men were wearing one to dinner. 

It keeps the air conditioning unnecessarily cool, and encourages insular types. I like the relaxed 'country club casual' people on board and don't like being looked up and down because I have no sequins. Okay? 

21 minutes ago, Hokapontas said:

It keeps the air conditioning unnecessarily cool, and encourages insular types. 

Ah, temperature.  Such a matter of preference.  We think anything over 68 F (20 C) to be too cold, so we appreciate the AC,  but we may be in the minority.  We live in a cold climate in Flagstaff, compared to some of our friends who live further south, so we're always amazed at the down vests Phoenicians wear in our fine town, when we consider it balmy.  😎  I'm sure our fellow passengers would rather layer up than see us strip down. 😁

1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

Ah, temperature.  Such a matter of preference.  We think anything over 68 F (20 C) to be too cold, so we appreciate the AC,  but we may be in the minority.  We live in a cold climate in Flagstaff, compared to some of our friends who live further south, so we're always amazed at the down vests Phoenicians wear in our fine town, when we consider it balmy.  😎  I'm sure our fellow passengers would rather layer up than see us strip down. 😁

I know what you mean. I have just returned to live in Sydney from Hobart Tas for 22 years. The heat kills me, but hate wearing a wrap just to have dinner! It's overkill, lol.

And my hubby likes feeling he is on holidays, not a business trip. 😎

11 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

We think anything over 68 F (20 C) to be too cold, so we appreciate the AC,  but we may be in the minority. 

Confused, do you mean anything over 68 F to be too hot??   Makes no sense to say over a temp to be too cold??

Thanks,

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Confused, do you mean anything over 68 F to be too hot??   Makes no sense to say over a temp to be too cold??

Thanks,

Yep. You're not confused, my post was. 😧  Anything over 68 F is too hot.  But we can tolerate 70 F 😵

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

Confused here with the OP! Since when did wearing a sports jacket with slacks become “ formal”? I regularly see ladies aboard ship wear nice jewelry including pearls at times, but that didn’t turn their outfit into formal attire . I have never seen a single model in any Oceania brochure or advertisement dressed in formal attire, never.

If the OP believes a sport jacket over a collared shirt is formal, I’m not sure I want to know their definition of country club casual! 

• Like 4

There should be enough room for different preferences.   I don’t know why anyone would be so offended if somebody dresses up or down. 

We have never had to regularly ‘endure’ what might be business attire.  And that certainly doesn’t really equate with formal dress.

i will apologize beforehand to anyone who might be offended if I wear some jewelry and high heels to dinner.  Which, I am quite likely to do a couple of times. 

PS:  I very highly doubt that anyone  at all would look down their nose if a fellow passenger does not have sequins.  Especially on Oceania.  

Even on other cruise lines this is very much the exception 

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Confused here with the OP! Since when did wearing a sports jacket with slacks become “ formal”? I regularly see ladies aboard ship wear nice jewelry including pearls at times, but that didn’t turn their outfit into formal attire . I have never seen a single model in any Oceania brochure or advertisement dressed in formal attire, never.

If the OP believes a sport jacket over a collared shirt is formal, I’m not sure I want to know their definition of country club casual! 

Well said. pinotlover..    Who said anything about sequins  or business suits being mandatory.    Surely a light weight/linen jacket for gentleman and smart trousers/skirt with a silky top or a dress for ladies is not too much to ask.  On our last Oceania cruise at least 70% of gentlemen wore a jacket to dinner and the rest wore long sleeved shirt with collar,  and the ladies all looked lovely, in pretty outfits and jewellery when going to dinner.  None of this seems hard work to me.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Yep. You're not confused, my post was. 😧  Anything over 68 F is too hot.  But we can tolerate 70 F 😵

I would freeze to death at 68 F. Gloves, hat, jacket and extra bourbon would be required.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

At home, in winter, we turn our heat down to 50F at night and up to 60F in the AM. LOL.

For the record, I wear pretty dresses and my hubby is dressed in button collared shirt at dinner, but not a jacket. We have better uses for our luggage allowance. 

I got an RSSC booklet today also, with two out of two in shirtsleeves. What does this all mean - pay more and have the luxury of not needing a jacket to prove oneself? 

Pinot lover - the country club in Clarksville, TN, does not go as formal as these pics, nor does the Alta club in SLC! Maybe for a 'special' dinner, an exception! 

Okay,  I should refrain!!!!

But I will just say this.  I am from the rural South and was raised in TN.  I think I can add some insight and context here when I say this posters idea of ‘nice’ and ‘country club’ might be very different than most other people. And most here do seem to disagree with her viewpoint 

From personal experience and observation I can understand how a ‘nice’ dress or outfit, or a collared shirt or jacket might seem to ‘too FORMAL’.   And I can see how she might feel underdressed or inadequate or judged if she and her party are out of that region and do not meet that standard.  No matter how reasonable or minimum it might be to most everyone else.   And no matter that nobody else really cares or judges. 

Interesting conversation! Our country club in KY has two dining areas. The Grill or 19th Hole which is casual and the main dining room where people are expected to dress more nicely. Our members don’t confuse the two. Jackets and nice slacks are regularly worn in the MDR.

Our daughter lives in Nashville and we visit there and eat out regularly. Claiming people in the South don’t get dressed up to go out to nice restaurants in the South is more than a stretch! I find the entire concept of “ This is how we dress in Paris or Jackson, TN when we go out, therefore we dress the same when we go to Nashville to be a bit more hillbilly than I actually commonly see. Most of those from Jackson dress for the City when they go there. One might expect the same when they take a cruise on a “ premium “ line versus a Carnival ship.

I find the vast majority of people dress differently to go to Ruth Chris than they do Texas Roadhouse. Therefore, when those people dress down to go to a restaurant, their dress reflects their overall view of the venue. Those that wear blue jeans and T shirts to Jacques just view it as no different than Applebee’s where such apparel is common place. Some obviously feel differently about Oceania’s venues.

• Like 1

Another southern girl!

i do understand that most people might dress to a nicer standard in a nicer city urban area.  And totally agree about the cruise ship analogy.   

Have seen “overhauls” (and not a nice version, but worn farm overalls) at full service standard steakhouse type restaurants in cities smaller than Nashville.   But in nicer restaurants - almost NYC nice “chic” hosiery, nice leather tall dress boots, designer labels, etc. 

The everpresent Slobs-vs-Snobs discussion is always interesting!

sorry folks   slow day here so thought I would read CC 😎

Now will also comment

My take on the post  is the OP was talking about the photos in the brochures

Now we all know  the people on O rarely dress like the  brochure photos

We have seen hundred of posts on the dress code & how it is going downhill

Maybe  Oceania  is trying via the photos to upgrade the dress style that  you see onboard   trying to steer away from the jeans with holes &  T- shirts at dinner

JMO

One thing I did  like about the Crystal cruise is each night  their dress code for  after 6pm was posted on the front page of the newsletter ... everyone seemed to comply

very similar to O's  dress code

image.thumb.png.94c4802b275a91be10bb53f925ffada6.png