Who have walk down the steps in Lindos (Rhodes) and Santorini advice needed

SweetsugarNL

So i try to decided if Santorini fits us. I have walk the steps (donkey route not the normal steps) down in Lindos (Akropolis) and this was verry slippery. Im wondering if the walk down in Santorini is the same or worse?

Edited by SweetsugarNL

On 1/28/2020 at 8:44 AM, SweetsugarNL said:

So i try to decided if Santorini fits us. I have walk the steps (donkey route not the normal steps) down in Lindos (Akropolis) and this was verry slippery. Im wondering if the walk down in Santorini is the same or worse?

Donkey route at Lindos. The steps at Santorini are much less slippery underfoot in general (not talking about whatever donkey poo is on them; I didn't find that aspect too bad). 

It's been a few years, but from my recollection at Lindos it was more of a graveled path, whereas at Santorini it is actual steps created from rocks and cemented in place, so not really loose or slippy. As mentioned above, depending on your issues, the steps could be hard on the knees for some....

Haven’t done Lindos but did do Santorini 

We’re quite fit and have good balance. very slippery marble steps. We were very conscious of not losing our step, virtually the whole way down. We had good shoes with grip but still found the smoothly polished, angled steps a challenge. Droppings are easily avoided but when a string of donkeys goes past you, it can be a tight squeeze. Saw others going down in poor shoes eg flip flops, stilettos. - don’t know how they made it.

We’d do it again if necessary (I.e. lengthy cable car queue and tight time frame) but only if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide to walk down the stairs in Santorini, wear appropriate sandals/sneakers for walking and you won't have a problem. Of course you need to be aware of the donkey doodoo and the donkeys when they are going up or down (with or without passengers!). My friend who had very bad knees took her time and had no issue. Good luck!

On 2/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, JimmyTheSaint said:

We've walked the steps down in Santorini ( never been to Lindos ) without any issues. The cable car queue was at least 1.5 hours and we really didn't want to wait that long in the summer heat. The walk down took us about 20 minutes, as mentioned above wear sneakers.

Thank you JimmyTheSaint.  I've been trying to find out how long the walk down would take.  We're in our early 60's with no health problems.  I know I'd never be able to walk up that many steps,  but thought going down wouldn't be too bad!