New port in Taino Bay

CarolinaGirl2010

It's supposed to open in November, so you should be one of the first! It sounds really nice with a pool area, cultural and ecological activities, and shops. It is also an easy stroll into Puerto Plata, so should be better situated for visiting the town than Amber Cove is. Puerto Plata has a charming city square, church, and some fun shops to visit. 

• 1 month later...

There are renderings of the project at the following link:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/puerto-plata-port-14370

The project is not a RCCI one but it is privately financed and managed. unlike Costa Maya though, it is in the heart of the town so should be better situated for anybody looking to leave for a more "authentic" experience.  

• 1 month later...

I have a connection with a tour operator in Puerto Plata.  Work was halted on Taino Bay a couple of months ago, and is intended to resume today.  No word on changing the opening date.  Our cruise is supposed to be the second or third arriving in November so this is unfortunate.  Maybe they can do cruise arrivals even if the port facilities are not done yet.  There is plenty to do with tours and shuttles to a beach.

If I hear more I will let us know here.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Scheduled to visit this new port/dock via the NCL Bliss in February 2021. I had read that there was going to be a water park of some kind with slides/lazy river, etc. Is that still happening?

Looks like a popular excursion in the general area are the waterfalls? Also heard something about a cable car that goes to the top of a mountain?

Edited by kenns

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 3:45 PM, hhalliv said:

Has anyone heard anything about the status of this new port? 

I searched for recent news stories about it, but didn’t find any recent results.

I have been trying to find updates also...no luck

On 3/30/2020 at 12:31 PM, Love2CruiseTampa said:

There are renderings of the project at the following link:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/puerto-plata-port-14370

The project is not a RCCI one but it is privately financed and managed. unlike Costa Maya though, it is in the heart of the town so should be better situated for anybody looking to leave for a more "authentic" experience.  

The Area near the port is mixed industrial and residential I dont see any place they could place shops that are restricted to Cruisers like amber cove 

• 3 weeks later...