Flying to Houston where to stay?

komputerguy

Hi,

Flying to Houston with family of 6 and trying to get details worked out.  Is it better to stay somewhere I can get a hotel shuttle then Uber to the docks the next day?  I have a little one in a car seat, but seems it would be cheaper to not stay in Galveston.

4 hours ago, komputerguy said:

Hi,

Flying to Houston with family of 6 and trying to get details worked out.  Is it better to stay somewhere I can get a hotel shuttle then Uber to the docks the next day?  I have a little one in a car seat, but seems it would be cheaper to not stay in Galveston.

Which airport? IAH (Bush Intercontinental) is about 70 miles from Galveston. HOU (Hobby) is more like 40 miles from Galveston.  Will you be able to put 6 people and luggage in even the largest Uber?

On 1/28/2020 at 3:26 PM, komputerguy said:

Hi,

So, yeah, staying in Galveston costs more than staying on the mainland. I am willing to do that, however, because I very much enjoy a day or two in Galveston as part of the vacation.

I do not know of any Galveston hotels which run shuttles to the Houston airports. While Uber works just fine in Galveston if, say, you want to go to dinner, I had a buddy have to wait a couple of hours to get an Uber to the cruise pier. Being a classy guy, I texted him pictures of how much I was enjoying my embarkation drinks while he figured out a ride.

So for the part of your question which is getting to Galveston I have two options. Z Limo and Super Shuttle both offer large group options from the Houston airport at reasonable prices. As for what happens once you get to the island, the Hotel Galvez is gorgeous and offers a shuttle to the pier. Sign up for the shuttle while you check in. The Tremont House and the Harbor House are both within walking distance of the cruise pier. Both have a number of excellent nearby restaurant and entertainment options. Enjoy your cruise!

On 1/31/2020 at 10:38 PM, Petroplex said:

So for the part of your question which is getting to Galveston I have two options. Z Limo and Super Shuttle both offer large group options from the Houston airport at reasonable prices. As for what happens once you get to the island, the Hotel Galvez is gorgeous and offers a shuttle to the pier. Sign up for the shuttle while you check in. The Tremont House and the Harbor House are both within walking distance of the cruise pier. Both have a number of excellent nearby restaurant and entertainment options. Enjoy your cruise!

Super Shuttle has shut down business in Houston.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We picked Hotel Zaza in the Museum district.  Then hotel Galvez in Galveston.  I read that there is good Trolley / Public transportation from downtown to Museum district but we liked being close and Hotel Zaza has a 5 mile free shuttle service.

• 1 month later...

We have sailed from Galveston a number of times and Houston once when Princess still sailed from there.  We have always flown into Hobby unless we drive, which has only been twice.  We have flown home once from IAH.  If you can fly SWA, I would recommend Hobby over IAH.  We have only used two hotels in Galveston:  the Galvez and the Hilton.  Love them both but it is usually difficult to get a one night stay unless you call the hotel using their local number and even that does not always work.  Additionally, if you can get a room for $200.00, consider yourself fortunate although once in a while the Hilton is available for under $200.00.

If you are able to fly into Hobby, I highly recommend the Doubletree at Hobby.  (Their warm cookies are REALLY good)  The rooms have always been clean, the staff is friendly, the rates are very reasonable, and they provide a shuttle to/from the airport.  The restaurant and bar in the hotel have always been great for us.  If you arrive early the day before your cruise, the NASA Space Center is just an Uber ride away and will fill your day if you are interested.  If you arrive late in the day you can relax, use the pool (outside), or enjoy the bar or restaurant.  There isn't much within walking distance.

There are many forms of transportation from the airports or hotels to the cruise terminals.  We have used many of them including the available buss transportation through the cruise lines.  The best transportation we can recommend is VIP Express, LLC.  This is the last review I left for them - I think it speaks for itself but please check all the other reviews you want, I think you will be impressed:  

"We have used VIP Express many times. The first time was very soon after the business started and the latest was two days ago (11/16/2019).
Emanuele and his staff have never been anything but outstanding. He is an AMAZING communicator. Prior to your pickup time, you will always know where he is and when he will arrive (which is "on time" or sooner). He is extremely personable and will do everything within his power to make your experience with VIP Express a pleasure. If you can find a company with cleaner vehicles, I would be surprised. Emanuele is just a "nice guy" who is unbelievably hard working, honest, and very, very good at what he does. Wouldn't consider using any other service in the Houston area! Thanks, "Manny", you always make our trips better, and we truly appreciate it. 🙂 Keith & Sharon"

Please consider using Emanuele for your transportation needs.  He is VERY good at what he does and his rates are great!  His contact number is (409) 888-0520 and their website is vipexpressllc.com .

I hope this is of some help to you. 

Thank you for the responses!  I just got $400 off my balcony room yesterday :)  We are staying down by the NASA business area and just going to take UBER or LYFT to the pier.  May call your vipexpress if it is close so we can all go together.  thanks!

• Like 2