Embarkation Sydney some Questions

lissie

We are cruising out of Sydney in a few weeks.  I have some questions about how luggage works on embarkation at the Overseas Terminal, Sydney. 

Can we drop off our large luggage early and go and find breakfast somewhere near.  Our check in time is midday - but we are staying nearby  and will have to be out of the hotel by time 10am I should think.   Is there any chance that we can get on earlier than the stated time?  The ship has come from Melbourne so not everyone will be getting on in Sydney 

Do we have to carry on all liquids - we'll probably carry on about 6 bottles of wine plus a bottle of whiskey - does that have to be in our carry on luggage? Or can I  pack in the big case? 

Its going to be hot so we'll both be in sandals and shorts. Can I assume that our luggage will get to our stateroom before we need to dress for dinner? 

Is there somewhere to change for the pool if the room is not ready - thinking of bringing swimming costumes in our hand luggage. 

Lissie in Sydney I do know you can drop of luggage but if you board at the same time you cannot get off the ship again from OPT. 

Two possible options

1) leave your baggage with the the hotel and then go out for breakfast and a last stroll around. I have done this in many hotels. I usually email the hotel a couple of weeks beforehand to ask and have never had a problem. 

2) Drop your baggage off then go for a wander as that area around The Rocks is a lovely place to wander. 

Option 2 might be dependent on the answer to your question about where to have the alcohol packed because if in carry-on luggage that will be a heavy bag.😊. I am curious about that question as well re how to bring on wine, as we will have just been down to our wine region and I plan to bring aboard some special wines.

Julie

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Lissie in Sydney I do know you can drop of luggage but if you board at the same time you cannot get off the ship again from OPT. 

Two possible options

1) leave your baggage with the the hotel and then go out for breakfast and a last stroll around. I have done this in many hotels. I usually email the hotel a couple of weeks beforehand to ask and have never had a problem. 

2) Drop your baggage off then go for a wander as that area around The Rocks is a lovely place to wander. 

Option 2 might be dependent on the answer to your question about where to have the alcohol packed because if in carry-on luggage that will be a heavy bag.😊. I am curious about that question as well re how to bring on wine, as we will have just been down to our wine region and I plan to bring aboard some special wines.

Julie

We are thinking along similar lines. We are planning a Hunter Valley trip pre cruise as we have a few days in Sydney prior (flying from NZ) - hence the bottles of wine 🙂  

And yes that's why I want to know about bottles in large luggage - as  the bottles would be a bit heavy to carry around. We're staying at  the Sir Stamford - so  that's why I wanted to drop the bags before having breakfast maybe on the top of  the MCA. But its not a huge distance could go back for the bag if necessary 

We stayed in Sir Stamford a few years ago and it was lovely and we did walk into Circular Quay. I wouldn't attempt it with our luggage though...but I overpack 😁.

We loved our Hunter Valley experience. 

Hmmm...I am having a few days in our wine country prior to our QM2 cruise and then a few days in Franschoek, South Africa wine country, post cruise. I think I see a pattern developing.

Julie

• Like 1

Hi lissie.  Best wishes for a wonderful voyage up to PNG.   Answers below...

Can we drop off our large luggage early and go and find breakfast somewhere near.  Yes.  Luggage dropoff at the OPT is on the ground floor, towards the Circular Quay end of the terminal.  You do not need to immediately enter OPT for checkin, which is on the upper level inside and up the escalators.

Is there any chance that we can get on earlier than the stated time?  Often times Yes, but not necessarily.  Depends mostly on how organised the checkin staff is, whether the ship has been cleared by authorities for embarkation, and cabin availability.  We've gotten on well in advance of boarding time before.  Other times we've had to wait for closer to the assigned time. 

Do we have to carry on all liquids - Or can I  pack in the big case?   Either one.  There are no liquid/gel restrictions like at airports.  You can put liquids in any bag.  If going into the checked bag, just make sure your wine bottles are well padded against any breakage. 

Can I assume that our luggage will get to our stateroom before we need to dress for dinner?   Definitely by dinnertime.  Usually our bags arrive shortly after we get onboard.  If you need any items for pool or lunch, maybe have that in carryon.  You'll have plenty of time to dress for dinner, which will be after lifeboat drill.

Is there somewhere to change for the pool if the room is not ready.  Yes, there are changing rooms/toilets by the pool.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sfred said:

Do we have to carry on all liquids - Or can I  pack in the big case?   Either one.  There are no liquid/gel restrictions like at airports.  You can put liquids in any bag.  If going into the checked bag, just make sure your wine bottles are well padded against any breakage. 

Thanks for this answer about taking alcohol onboard. I use these wine skins even to transport wine from overseas in my checked baggage and have found them great as they seal the bottle into the package.

https://www.wine-ark.com.au/shop/wine-preservation-serving/wineskin-3-pack/?gclid=CjwKCAiA1L_xBRA2EiwAgcLKA_UG2pNWke_PqRuw9rfO91CyejEk2PIRdFFZrbsL0juL35g4DF9z3xoCqCAQAvD_BwE

I have bought in many different wine shops.

Julie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

We stayed in Sir Stamford a few years ago and it was lovely and we did walk into Circular Quay. I wouldn't attempt it with our luggage though...but I overpack 😁.

We loved our Hunter Valley experience. 

Hmmm...I am having a few days in our wine country prior to our QM2 cruise and then a few days in Franschoek, South Africa wine country, post cruise. I think I see a pattern developing.

Julie

We normally travel carry on only so this all new to me! We did have a  big suitcase - and I've got everything in that figuring one bag is easier than 2. Will we still have our carry on packs which can have the stuff we need for Sydney.  I'd hate to travel on a regular basis with this much luggage!  Its like managing a small child or a dog in addition to everything else LOL 

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Hi lissie.  Best wishes for a wonderful voyage up to PNG.   Answers below...

Can we drop off our large luggage early and go and find breakfast somewhere near.  Yes.  Luggage dropoff at the OPT is on the ground floor, towards the Circular Quay end of the terminal.  You do not need to immediately enter OPT for checkin, which is on the upper level inside and up the escalators.

Is there any chance that we can get on earlier than the stated time?  Often times Yes, but not necessarily.  Depends mostly on how organised the checkin staff is, whether the ship has been cleared by authorities for embarkation, and cabin availability.  We've gotten on well in advance of boarding time before.  Other times we've had to wait for closer to the assigned time. 

Can I assume that our luggage will get to our stateroom before we need to dress for dinner?   Definitely by dinnertime.  Usually our bags arrive shortly after we get onboard.  If you need any items for pool or lunch, maybe have that in carryon.  You'll have plenty of time to dress for dinner, which will be after lifeboat drill.

Is there somewhere to change for the pool if the room is not ready.  Yes, there are changing rooms/toilets by the pool.

Thank you so much that is so useful.  I can expand the big bag to too large for the aircraft size and that will fit the wine bottles. I find wineries are usually very helpful in packaging wine for transport.  

That's handy info re the OPT -  sounds like we can just drop the big bag and then head to braekfast with our valuables, and swimming gear on us only.