yellow fever injections

hello everyone,  I have just been to the docs to see if I need any jabs /boosters for our cruise on discovery 2 on 17th march. the nurse tells me I only need the yellow fever and I have to go to this other surgery for it.    I have never had it before and at £62 a pop  and we both would need it its a bit steep. my question is has anyone  recently been on a cruise and visited panama ,Columbia, costa rica, belize ect and had the yellow fever jab (you get a certificate to show authorities) I have looked online and  countries can refuse entry if you have not had the jab. the good thing is it lasts for life and countries since 2016 cant refuse entry, you don't need any booster or have it again. we have a full day trip booked in panama so I wouldn't want to be refused entry and marella not refund my trip because of it.   anyway  what has anyone else got in mind   as far as yellow fever jab.

many thanks  for any info from you experienced travellers.      graham

We did cruise in this area a couple of years ago, panama, Columbia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Jamaica, Cancun.
No checks were made for any vaccinations and we did not have Yellow Fever vaccination.
There is a difference between vaccinations that are required and ones that are recommended, also note that Yellow Fever is often not recommended if you are over 60 - you can get an exemption certificate.

thanks   alancruise and vitalsign  that info is very reassuring,   me thinks   we will forego the yellow fever jab and  just smother ourselves with a good  deet  mosie repelent lol. the only thing i would add is    have they tightened up on these entry regs  fairly recently and started to  impose  entry conditions  on yellow fever, sorry for the  the paranoid attitude, i guess i just want to be on top of it

As you will be mostly at the coast you will be ok it is only recommended if you travel to the interior of the Central American countries 

we never even sprayed ourselves during the day and we travelled the canal without problems at all Only sprayed ourselves If when we arrived there was standing water about after it had rained We were never ashore after dusk either

dont worry but use a spray if that makes you feel more comfortable 

• 2 weeks later...

We are also going to Columbia, Panama etc in April and our doctor has said the only vaccinations we should have (not need) are boosters to our "normal" ones, such as MMR and tetanus, to ensure they are up to date. Yellow fever wasn't mentioned, probably because we are sticking to coastal regions.