Splendor! The Pre-Christening Inaugural Transatlantic Cruise! A LIVE Joint Blog!

Mr Rumor

5 hours ago, Mr Rumor said:

Good morning from Funchal!

8B52B163-25F1-4EB6-97F9-6FC2C1624F00.thumb.jpeg.c46667cc4ce5631dc75e29f2dd107213.jpeg

Nice shot----this is one of my favored ports of call.  Some day I want to fly in and spend some time doing nothing but enjoy dining and not much else.  Looks like you're having a great time-enjoy the life of a cruise.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

RonRick - from everything I have heard flying into and out of Funchal is not a lot of fun.  Have you ever seen the runway?   It cantilevers over the road!   

It’s not too bad. Flew in and out twice last year. Depends upon the flight path, ordinarily you approach the island from the north east which gives fantastic views and then there is a sharp turn to the right and hopefully not too much wind from the side valleys to the north of the runway. Pilots are specially trained for this runway (not that unusual btw). There was a bad accident in the 1970’s but since then there has been a significant extension to the runway.

Tea at Reid’s Hotel is great but I cannot recommend staying there, well not at the prices Belmond charge. Wifey and I stay at The Cliff Bay which is straight right of Mr Rumor’s lovely photo.

Edited by Belfast Taxman

24 minutes ago, orvil said:

I don't see a rowing machine.  I know Explorer has one.  I use it.

It looks like they have 2, or something similar to a rowing machine?  I was going to exercise but now my only exercise is lifting silverware and the cups 😬

The tea at Reid’s was a mixed bag for me.  The treats were as delicious as they look here. . .
A2C79684-AD5C-41D1-A5C8-CF0E73DD65F9.thumb.jpeg.cd68546f86651ada45117c42138997fa.jpeg

. . . but the experience itself was somewhat of a letdown.  After walking to the hotel’s premier tea room with the sweeping views, we were turned away—there were too many of us in two bus loads to fit (why our guide hadn’t been informed of this beforehand remains a mystery).

So we were led on a rather long walk through a portion of the gardens to a downstairs (not much of a view) “garden terrace” room, where the sandwiches and cakes—but no scones—had been laid out.

We had to wait at least 20 minutes after finishing our sandwiches for  the scones (which were great).  But we didn’t have much time to savor them and the cakes as it was already time to go.  There was no opportunity to stroll the grounds and soak in the views.  I had to seize the moment to get the snap from my post above, from the hotel’s lobby area, as we were being directed out of the building.  

Edited by Mr Rumor

Yikes, that’s disappointing!   This is a good example of the disconnect that happens often in the destinations department.  I would assume that capacity information is readily available.  What not stagger the tours?  Why not phone venues and guides ahead of time to verify the logistics?   Why not provide the guide with the description of the tour given to the guests?  (Including whether it involves a shopping stop at the guide’s cousin’s place.)  I think this would leave a bad taste in my mouth.   

Edited by forgap

What a major disappointment! Also, much different from our experience. Our excursion was capacity controlled at 24 people, I remember people waiting on the dock (where we met to get on the bus) hoping that someone would not show up. We also had plenty of time to explore the grounds and the hotel itself, which has a rich history and is displayed with photos and artifacts.

As forgap mentioned, there was a definite disconnect.

Rich - sorry you and Ginny did not get to enjoy "the true experience"

4 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

RonRick - from everything I have heard flying into and out of Funchal is not a lot of fun.  Have you ever seen the runway?   It cantilevers over the road!   

Yes, and I have nothing to say about that----But I'm going to do it anyway.

1 hour ago, forgap said:

Yikes, that’s disappointing!   This is a good example of the disconnect that happens often in the destinations department.  I would assume that capacity information is readily available.  What not stagger the tours?  Why not phone venues and guides ahead of time to verify the logistics?   Why not provide the guide with the description of the tour given to the guests?  (Including whether it involves a shopping stop at the guide’s cousin’s place.)  I think this would leave a bad taste in my mouth.   

Now that is wrong----Regent knows how many people on that tour, and Reids knows how many people they can serve.  People need to talk at Regent and get this fixed.  If they can only take 25 to 30 people, stop taking reservations for the tour.   

16 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

You on the next Splendor cruises should have a "perfect" ship. I can understand why Captain Serena gave her Staff such an emotional thanks at the Captain's Reception. I'm amazed at how well and quickly they readied this new ship in a few months. Lots of small things still being "fixed". Yesterday, we had 2 visits from craftsmen to fix things that we didn't know had to be fixed!

I'm so fickle; after only a few days, Splendor has replaced Explorer as my favorite ship. Anxious for August to see Splendor itineraries for late 22'.

Oops! Just after posting, I heard about,: TV falling off the wall; shower door falling off, and some switching of cabins because of bangs/squeaks. No first hand knowledge as our cabin remains " perfect". Not to worry, a large contingent of workers on board, Seas continue as "easy', so Splendor hasn't been stressed yet. Our adventure continues as a wonderful experience great food (Pacific Rim tonight) and more terrific entertainment.

The last little bit of land we will see for a week!

52522903-6EBD-4F95-A89D-1973A335807F.thumb.jpeg.3a383834543e8b57467a0b104b1d1e2f.jpeg

P.S.  Jennifer, Naomi and Rick, thanks for sharing your reactions to our experience at the Reid’s tea.  I have decided to speak with Destination Services about the matter.

Edited by Mr Rumor

40 minutes ago, Mr Rumor said:

52522903-6EBD-4F95-A89D-1973A335807F.thumb.jpeg.3a383834543e8b57467a0b104b1d1e2f.jpeg

P.S.  Jennifer, Naomi and Rick, thanks for sharing your reactions to our experience at the Reid’s tea.  I have decided to speak with Destination Services about the matter.

Great and thanks because  we'll be on the Splendor stopping at that port--and I've signed up for that tour.

7 hours ago, Mr Rumor said:

Rich - for what it's worth - I spent much of my professional life in International Educational Exchange and in that was involved from time to time with tours for students on our programmes.   I do not think it is Destination Services that is to blame - their local tour operator is at fault.  Those people send tours to Reids every single day (most ships calling in Funchal offer this tour) and the tour operators have to know about the capacity issues.  Yes - talk to DS by all means but insist they get an explanation from the local operator as to why this was allowed to happen.   Looks like you were on a bus tour either before or after - the timing of this should have been better so you arrived at Reid's and went right to the correct place for your tea.

• Like 1

Good morning, it’s Sea Day No. 3, and the first of six in a row!  About time, I thought, to ply you with passenger numbers.

When the Splendor set sail from Barcelona it did so less than full, with 551 passengers, 279 of whom are female, 272 of whom are male (an early February Atlantic crossing, even on a maiden voyage, has to be one of the tougher cruise sells).  We’re a little lighter than that this morning after CEO Jason and a couple of others left the ship yesterday in Funchal.

A whopping three quarters, or 411, are Americans, including roughly two dozen Regent corporate personnel.  The United Kingdom follows with an impressive 58.  (Hmmm, maybe that’s whey Trivia has been so competitive—every one of the 20 or two teams, except us, must have at least one Brit!  Makes we members of Just Guessing, Too all the prouder of our second place finish yesterday.)

Here’s the full Passenger Nationality Breakdown:

United States, 411

United Kingdom, 58

Canada, 34

Italy, 17 (most of whom are from Ficantieri)

Belgium, 4

Romania, 4

France, 3

Germany, 3

India, 3

Spain, 3

Australia, 2

Switzerland, 2

Norway, 2

Panama, 2

Croatia, 1

Greece, 1

Portugal, 1

I want to delve back to Day One aboard the Splendor for one more  “moment.”  I’ve filed this one under Regent Exceeding Expectations.

Back in 2014, when dealing with a bout of “silent” acid reflux (the one that hits you in the throat) I requested a wedge pillow so that I could sleep with my head raised.  My request obviously went into Regent’s Mr Rumor file because on almost every cruise since my wedge was waiting for me in our room upon embarkation.

It had passed my mind that I might find myself wedge-less on the Splendor, new ship and all.   And, in fact, I didn’t see a raised portion of our bed when we entered our room.  But before I could ask about it, our steward Jade cheerfully informed me that Splendor’s carpenter was making one for me!

Sure enough, at 9:30 that evening our doorbell rang, and there was Jade, wooden wedge in hand.  He promptly positioned it under the mattress on my side of the bed, and I’ve been sleeping, head raised, like a baby, on this cruise since.  Thank you, Regent!

Jade with the Splendor Rumor wedge!

5DE345FC-2642-460B-924D-6F256AD7B61E.thumb.jpeg.643093ecba26b1ef8bba4981081f48e9.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Oops! Just after posting, I heard about,: TV falling off the wall; shower door falling off, and some switching of cabins because of bangs/squeaks. No first hand knowledge as our cabin remains " perfect". Not to worry, a large contingent of workers on board, Seas continue as "easy', so Splendor hasn't been stressed yet. Our adventure continues as a wonderful experience great food (Pacific Rim tonight) and more terrific entertainment.

We are in a Splendor suite and had problems with our room and noises. The carpenters tried to fix it but where unable. True to Regent form, Regent worked with us on finding the best option available to resolve the issue. While there are ship issues I’m impressed with the staff and how they are trying to rectify things. 

“The Cafe” on Splendor is lonnnnng, extending from both sides of the bar. 
A8C11DED-9401-4ADE-BF9B-B7F5C43F651F.thumb.jpeg.7b66abce6eba8b96ffd4859be3d699e9.jpeg

08D0C747-840F-40B0-A515-03EFF8EC2619.thumb.jpeg.7220456d0de9906c327302839dbe27cd.jpeg

Gazing down the long promenade on Deck Five I remarked to barista Alteo that “this looks like Interstate 5.”  Alteo didn’t miss a beat:  “And this is the petrol station!”

20C9F860-7830-46BD-99F5-18AB4028D45C.thumb.jpeg.e1c371142701dd8108376d3d1cfd61f2.jpeg

• Like 3

Franck, those Baggo Regent Rewards Points are not for you—give them to me!
15F8D6D5-F054-489B-AC12-F240066F42EC.thumb.jpeg.6d1129a12be9717ffd2ec6b19d4e3a11.jpeg

Deck Cadet Luis demonstrates his innovative behind the back Baggo toss.  
1B8C70B6-4C65-4A3B-9E8A-A2CF78F9D433.thumb.jpeg.e360c1b7cdb3e597cd94fb26d22a5deb.jpeg

Passengers eked out a victory in the Baggo officers’ challenge today.  Captain Serena and team will get a chance to even the score tomorrow.  Baggo’s on the schedule every day while we’re at sea!

• Like 1

I have a question about the main staircase. An ad I saw looks like the steps do not have carpet, but pictures in ads can be deceiving??? If that the case,  I am wondering whether they made that change since the carpet wore out so quickly on the Explorer?? On our recent Voyager cruise, during high seas we had significant loud "banging" behind our bed's headboard. The carpenter said they have to tighten some boards and connectors behind the headboard and they have to remove it entirely from the wall. This was much more than normal creaking on a ship. They did offer to move us to another cabin as soon as the carpenter gave his analysis. I hope everyone has smooth sailing, but if the seas get rough it will be interesting whether there are more issues with the cabins.