Splendor! The Pre-Christening Inaugural Transatlantic Cruise! A LIVE Joint Blog!

Mr Rumor

2 minutes ago, boblerm said:

I must confess that I am a bit confused (ok, more or less my usual state, but that aside).....

This cruise ends on Feb 20 and the next begins on Feb 25.  JAG2003, do I understand correctly that you are on both of these?  Are you staying on board between the 2 for special christening events?  Or do you have to disembark and come back on for these events?

And you are also staying on for the San DIego to Miami?

Sorry if I am being dense😳🥴😵

Bob

Hi Bob, You are not confused at all...  The Pre & Christening cruise are 20-25 by invitation only.  I am fortunate enough to be on this.  So, in this instance I do not have to disembark in Miami.  And yes - I am still on SD - MIA and look forward to seeing you then.  Albeit - I shall be disembarking for 2 days in San Diego!!  Marcia

6 minutes ago, JAG2003 said:

Hi Bob, You are not confused at all...  The Pre & Christening cruise are 20-25 by invitation only.  I am fortunate enough to be on this.  So, in this instance I do not have to disembark in Miami.  And yes - I am still on SD - MIA and look forward to seeing you then.  Albeit - I shall be disembarking for 2 days in San Diego!!  Marcia

Marcia,

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that there were 2 days between the Mia-SD and the next SD-Mia.  I wonder why that is?

By the time we get in in SD on 3/14, you will be our group's absolute expert on all things Splendor!

Looking forward to seeing you then as well!

Bob

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, victoria81 said:

Is anyone concerned about the Coronavirus as it relates to this trip?

No.  Thanks for asking, as it's a valid concern given media coverage.  Any "fear" should be of the flu which has a much greater impact.  I hope travelers get their annual flu shot.

At this point, thinking Coronavirus is a valid concern is equivalent to thinking about the probability of your plane trip ending in disaster.  Or less.

Edited by cr34102
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, boblerm said:

Marcia,

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that there were 2 days between the Mia-SD and the next SD-Mia.  I wonder why that is?

By the time we get in in SD on 3/14, you will be our group's absolute expert on all things Splendor!

Looking forward to seeing you then as well!

Bob

Bob - those are "fam" trips for travel agents - "familiarisation trips".   Hard to believe that the Splendor should be sailing from Ancona tomorrow!  With "guests" on board.  BelfastTaxman reported that Graham Sadler who runs Regent UK will be there and on another forum someone called Francesca said she would too - Ancona to Civitavecchia.

Speaking of which there is a Costa ship quarantined in Civitavecchia right now with 6000 crew and passengers on board.   I hope the winds in the port are not blowing from her to the Splendor!!

18 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Karen & John -

We will sail with you on that one, too! Have a few days in Miami between the cruises while RSSC does the christening events.

See you onboard!

Sandy & Dana (and 'the kids')

💞🎉👍🏻💗

Yesterday the SPLENDOR was briefly at sea as she left the "construction dock" (there must be a more correct name than that?!) for a "passenger dock". 

Today is the BIG day as the SPLENDOR sets sail from Ancona.

Photo and comment courtesy of onboard Executive Concierge Jeff:

'SHOWTIME'

rssc SPLENDOR.jpg

• Like 1

Rich, I am so looking forward to this blog.  A great picture of Ginny by the way.  Give her our best and a hug.  As I recall, Z wore a walking boot on our Explorer Trans Atlantic.  I hope it is not a trend since we are booked on the Splendor TA in 2021.

• Like 1

JAG - I checked the website of the Port of Ancona.  It has Splendor sailing on Sunday for Dubrovnik.  Marine tracking still shows her in the port at Ancona...   That photo was just fabulous especially because we have a stern suite and were - finally! - able to see our actual balcony.  Thank you!

The Costa ship at was quarantined at Civitavecchia has been cleared.  The two passengers had an "ordinary" flu not the Coronavirus.  Good news all round.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hambagahle said:

JAG - I checked the website of the Port of Ancona.  It has Splendor sailing on Sunday for Dubrovnik.  Marine tracking still shows her in the port at Ancona...   That photo was just fabulous especially because we have a stern suite and were - finally! - able to see our actual balcony.  Thank you!

The Costa ship at was quarantined at Civitavecchia has been cleared.  The two passengers had an "ordinary" flu not the Coronavirus.  Good news all round.

You are correct, it sails Sunday February 02 from its new docking location in Ancona.  
Glad you can see your balcony!!  

23 minutes ago, JAG2003 said:

Well, the SPLENDOR does indeed set sail today January 31 from Ancona to Dubrovnik.  Here is the first "Passages" courtesy of Francesca who is onboard.

84292693_10158082956201804_6597757326495580160_n.jpg

83752118_10158082956436804_7747271504697491456_n.jpg

So who got invited to go on this one?  Certainly not a mere DIAMOND!  :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tnr said:

Rich, I am so looking forward to this blog.  A great picture of Ginny by the way.  Give her our best and a hug.  As I recall, Z wore a walking boot on our Explorer Trans Atlantic.  I hope it is not a trend since we are booked on the Splendor TA in 2021.

Terri:  You are correct. I wore that damned boot all over Italy to include walking on the cobblestone streets of Rome. Thank goodness that my doctor-prescribed medication was available at the pool bar. 

Z and TB

• Like 1

Thanks, Terri and Ray, I was happy to deliver that hug to Ginny just now.  Regarding Z and his walking boot on the Explorer—I recall that’s how I met my blogging buddy in the Constellation Theater!  I have a feeling that Ginny’s cast will function as her ID tag to one or more of our Splendor fellow cruisers.

Marcia, you ace reporter you, thanks for sharing the Splendor Ancona photo and especially two of the pages from the very first issue of Splendor’s Passages. I was interested to read that the Production Cast is already at it with the “World Premiere” of the disco-themed “Club Wonderland,” one of five new shows created exclusively for Splendor.   By the way, I understand that CD John has also prepared a new one-man show for the Splendor.

One of the reasons we decided to arrive in Barcelona early is for Ginny to get her Gaudi fix.  As you see below, she and Stowie have been doing their Gaudi homework.  I have no doubt that Ginny will impress our guide, a Gaudi expert, with her knowledge.  

About the other reading material in the photo, we’re aware that Barcelona has been called the pickpocket capital of the world, and we plan to take the appropriate precautions when we’re out and about (including at La Sagrada Familia)!

5EF3E769-8A75-4E72-AD15-02D64DA11EAC.thumb.jpeg.4d5c1b9630b930be88b5c00f5564415f.jpeg

Edited by Mr Rumor
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

So who got invited to go on this one?  Certainly not a mere DIAMOND!  🙂

She is INDEED underway.  Marine tracking shows the Splendor in the Adriatic sea en route to Dubrovnik.   How WONDERFUL !!

Edited by Hambagahle

Looks like a great ship, can't wait to hear from your post.  Even more can't wait till we board the ship on April 1 for 30 days of cruising in comfort and luxury and service and food and shows and everything else that comes with the cruise.

Just received this e-mail from Regent.  Would anyone like to share their thoughts on this?  Anyone concerned about the virus as it relates to this trip?  I'm feeling concerned but don't know if it's a justified concern.  Thanks

"We would like to provide you with an important update regarding your upcoming Regent Seven Seas Cruises®voyage. 

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. As such, due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, guests who have visited mainland China within 30 days of their voyage embarkation will not be allowed to board a Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ ship. Kindly note Hong Kong is not considered part of mainland China and guests who have visited Hong Kong will be permitted to sail. 

In addition, we are implementing non-touch temperature screenings for all guests and crew embarking in Hong Kong. Any person who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not be allowed to board. 

We truly appreciate your understanding and thank you for your assistance in helping to ensure all guests and crew remain in good health. We also thank you for your continued loyalty. 

If you have traveled to mainland China within 30 days of your cruise, please contact your Travel Advisor or Regent Reservations at 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) so we may begin the process of cancelling your upcoming voyage and starting the refund process. 

Thank you for choosing Regent Seven Seas Cruises."

@victoria81 - We received this today, too.  Other cruise lines are doing the same thing.  We are not the least bit concerned.  The flu is affecting MANY more people than this 'bug'.  If we got scared every time something came along...whether it's a virus or 'violence' in some locations....we'd NEVER be able to go anywhere.  We always take reasonable precautions with regards to health and safety issues.  Not much more can be done as individuals.  Relax and ENJOY

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

Regent should require Flu shots for all cruises !

My heart agrees with you 1000%.

My head is grateful we just can't do that.

I'm grateful for the steps Regent has taken with regard to this issue.  The RSSC China travel requirement is actually stronger than the industry standard (30 days vs 14 days).  The non-invasive temp check is prudent.

• Like 2

Hi Victoria, I hope fellow blogger Jim (DeepFreeze63) sees your post, as he knows Barcelona well and would have some good suggestions.  Ginny and I will actually be strolling far into the madding crowds, having booked Gaudi and “Gourmet Foodie” half-day tours.  

We’re technically en route, having made it 70 miles to our Albuquerque Sunport area hotel this afternoon.  Only 5507 miles to go starting with a 12:22 p.m. flight to Dallas tomorrow.  When our third flight touches down in Barcelona on Monday afternoon, we’ll be greeted by partly sunny skies and a predicted high of 66.  The forecasts for the rest of our Barcelona stay, as well as Cadiz and Funchal:  sunny or party sunny with highs ranging from 57 to 64.  That’s almost toasty for us!