Splendor! The Pre-Christening Inaugural Transatlantic Cruise! A LIVE Joint Blog!

Mr Rumor

On 1/31/2020 at 10:28 AM, tnr said:

Rich, I am so looking forward to this blog.  A great picture of Ginny by the way.  Give her our best and a hug.  As I recall, Z wore a walking boot on our Explorer Trans Atlantic.  I hope it is not a trend since we are booked on the Splendor TA in 2021.

Terri

Which TA are you on? Is it the one from Barcelona to Miami in November? We are sailing in November 2020 and 2021. 
Sheila

While Ginny is dozing off, Stowie has given himself a project, researching a 2021 Splendor cruise for us.   He’s so wrapped up in this that I don’t have the heart to tell him that we’ve already decided on a Splendor March 2021 Caribbean itinerary that we’ll be booking onboard.   Let him have his fun!

Good night!

BA6CC708-8BF1-4D1A-9B7C-8665CCBA0463.thumb.jpeg.e43fd9fcd49b870b515417ea2d2e6dea.jpeg

• Like 2

@Mr RumorAlbuquerque Sunport remains in our memories for having the greatest TSA team we've ever encountered.  They were so cheerful, they didn't shout instructions at us and made the whole screening process as much fun as it could be.  I have a habit of leaving compliments rather than complaints, so I called the supervisor to report our positive experience - cue another giggle (he didn't have a compliment form, only one for complaints!)   To this day, when we travel and I have reason to compliment the screening teams, I often say that they still have some way to go to match ABQ (with a wink of course 😉 )

Edited by Gilly
spelling check!
  • Like 1

Mr. Rumor--thanks for the reply.  Hopefully Jim responds as I'm getting to Barcelona Tuesday morning, so I've got pretty much 2 full days to play with.  

I hope everyone has a safe flight and look forward to meeting the group.  Sounds like we will have some interesting adventures to discuss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victoria81 said:

Mr. Rumor--thanks for the reply.  Hopefully Jim responds as I'm getting to Barcelona Tuesday morning, so I've got pretty much 2 full days to play with.  

I hope everyone has a safe flight and look forward to meeting the group.  Sounds like we will have some interesting adventures to discuss.

Hi: just saw your post. Probably can't help a lot as with Mr. Rumor, we "wade" into tourist spots BUT have a few ideas that might be enjoyable for you while avoiding crowds of tourists.

1. Sagrada Familia is a magnificent view from a block or so away - the crowds are in or just ouside the location. Bring binoculars.

2. St. Pau Recinte Modernista- the restored hospital complex- is 3 pedestrian blocks North from Sagrada Familia. Not many foreign tourists. Magnificent photo ops. Get the audio guide and spend at least 2 to 3 hours - go into every building you can access.

3. The cabs are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. MUST have fare posted on window.; check before using.

4.  We eat lunches at locales as recommended by our concierge as "non-touristy". For dinner, Mary and I buy wine, bread, cheese and Iberico ham from local shops that we find on our walks - great taste and also we don't want to eat as late as the locals do. 

Edited by DeepFreeze63
misspelling
  • Like 1

Rich:  as an airplane buff, what is your itinerary and what airlines are you flying to BCN?  I remember one of your recent cruises (Scandinavian cruise?) when you posted a great pic of your business class seats and it looked like a modern day Caravaggio painting.  

We are enjoying this thread and are excited to hear more about the incredible Splendor and adventures from all thread contributors. All of yous are doing a great job. Too bad we have to wait until Dec 2021 for our turn on the Splendor. Have a great flight. 
Z and TB

Today is packing day for us, giving us another day or so to retrieve forgotten items without a last-minute shuffle.  As usual, we will each put half of our items in the other's case just in case one gets misdirected by the airline.  Has happened to us once before so hopefully we've paid our dues!  

If all goes as planned we will arrive BCN Wednesday morning to give us a chance to rest-up before our adventure begins.

Edited by Kwaj girl
  • Like 1

It is snowing hard in Toronto today.  Fingers crossed my flight is able to leave safely Tuesday evening.  

British Airways to London, and on to Barcelona Wednesday for an overnight before finally boarding the Splendor for lunch on Thursday!

Safe flights to everyone and see you all on board.  💎

12 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Terri

Which TA are you on? Is it the one from Barcelona to Miami in November? We are sailing in November 2020 and 2021. 
Sheila

Sheila, we are doing Athens-Barcelona-Miami in Nov 2021.  Glad to see you on board!

Terri

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Rich:  as an airplane buff, what is your itinerary and what airlines are you flying to BCN?  I remember one of your recent cruises (Scandinavian cruise?) when you posted a great pic of your business class seats and it looked like a modern day Caravaggio painting.  

We are enjoying this thread and are excited to hear more about the incredible Splendor and adventures from all thread contributors. All of yous are doing a great job. Too bad we have to wait until Dec 2021 for our turn on the Splendor. Have a great flight. 
Z and TB

Z, are you doing the Dec. 7 cruise by any chance???  If so, maybe we could meet up with you when we get off the ship.

Terri

14 hours ago, mrlevin said:

No way!!!!  You can get the flu from a flu vaccine.  I have never gotten the flu and not about to get it now.

Marc

This was posted by the Mayo Clinic:

The flu vaccine can't give you the flu. But you might develop flu-like symptoms — despite getting a flu vaccine — for a variety of reasons, including: Reaction to the vaccine " may include any of the following".

• Reaction to the vaccine. Some people experience muscle aches and a fever for a day or two after receiving a flu vaccine. This may be a side effect of your body's production of protective antibodies.
  • The two-week window. It takes about two weeks for the flu shot to take full effect. If you're exposed to the influenza virus shortly before or during that time period, you might catch the flu.
  • Mismatched flu viruses. In some years, the influenza viruses used for the vaccine don't match the viruses circulating during the flu season. If this occurs, your flu shot will be less effective, but may still offer some protection.
  • Other illnesses. Many other illnesses, such as the common cold, also produce flu-like symptoms. So you may think you have the flu when you actually don't.

So no the flu shot can not give you the flu. 

• Like 3

Fingers crossed for you, Lil, and safe, on-time travels to my other blogging teammates!

We got to the Sunport nice and early, just the way I like it.

@Gilly, here’s my favorite Sunport story.  Some cruises ago, we had returned to Albuquerque late at night after multiple flights, and were in the Sunport’s baggage claim.  Suddenly, weary me realized I had left my small carry-on with my iPad on the plane!  Sudden surge of adrenaline!  Luckily, an airport staffer was standing nearby in the all-but-empty room.  No problem, he said, smiling, he’d be happy to go on the plane and fetch i!  No more than 15 minutes later he returned, carry-on in hand, with an even bigger smile.  Yep we love our Sunport, too.

Z, we’re flying American, via DFW, to Madrid, then on to Barcelona on Iberia.  This was not the itinerary that Regent Air proposed to us 270 days out, which is why we covet the Platinum perk of free deviation.  The Regent proposal had us connecting at Heathrow.  Due to a couple of grueling past experiences, we’re wary of Heathrow connections. When the connection is tight, like the proposed one—fuhgeddaboudit!  Although we’ve never been to Madrid Barajas, we’ll have two hours and 45 minutes there, which should be plenty of time for us to navigate immigration and security and make it to our Barcelona flight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tnr said:

Z, are you doing the Dec. 7 cruise by any chance???  If so, maybe we could meet up with you when we get off the ship.

Terri

Yup!  We would love to meet up when you disembark. Do you still have my email address?  
Z and TB

Just after I posted above. DW did some research on the Barcelonata neighborhood whre we will be with Regent's hotel (Ritz Carlton). My plans were "modified". Gone were both the Zoo ("too expensive for the quality" ) and the Chocolate Museum ("panned on TripAdvisor"). We now are going to take a peek at Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar (never been there); Picasso Museum (been there several times but it never gets old for us); and the Muse de History of Catalunya (can't remember if we have been inside) there.

Weather looks fine for DC/NYC on Tuesday travel and a little cool (48 to 60 F) on Wednesday/Thursday morning in Barca.

I caught the spirit and stuffed Lily P. into my suitcase. Took a group picture of the 39 bunnies we are leaving behind. Will post pictures and back story after we sail Thursday.

• Like 1

Speaking of "travel partners", does anyone ever bring small things for the local communities?  I went to the Amazon with Regent and a guest lecturer mentioned that some people bring small things for the kids.  Thought that was a great idea.  Not sure if we will have the opportunity on this trip but I try to grab a few things from the dollar store to bring with me in case I see a kid that looks like they may want it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victoria81 said:

Speaking of "travel partners", does anyone ever bring small things for the local communities?  I went to the Amazon with Regent and a guest lecturer mentioned that some people bring small things for the kids.  Thought that was a great idea.  Not sure if we will have the opportunity on this trip but I try to grab a few things from the dollar store to bring with me in case I see a kid that looks like they may want it.

Nice idea for sure.  Certainly a lot of us do this in the Amazon and when we visit developing countries.  Depends a lot on the itinerary, this one is mostly days at sea !  Always good to have a few small items on hand however.  Pencils, soap, sweets, etc.

8D81E9CC-673E-4BD4-9866-4EF9F1A94DFB.thumb.jpeg.1efa2c429bc2d80d7110addc089646a2.jpegTerry - looking forward to see you in March on Splendor then in December 2021 on the TA. See you sooon! Say hello to Ray for us! Remind him that he bought a bourbon on the rocks for Herb in Seti Mara in 2016!

Zqueeze1- which cruise are you doing in December 2021? We met you also on the Explorer TA in 2016. I was the lady with the red scooter and O2. 

Regards

sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 1

We walked into the DFW’s Admiral’s Club a few minutes ago and immediately got shooed out!  “You don’t want to be here—you’re going to Madrid,” we were instructed.  “The new Flagship Lounge is two gates down.  More food, better food, hot food!”

So here we are at the Flagship Lounge’s bountiful hot food table.  Stowie, you have to control yourself!

7693210D-4A51-46E9-BE69-A91105474BFE.thumb.jpeg.bddb844ddab088e0227f6586874f7af8.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Mr Rumor said:

We walked into the DFW’s Admiral’s Club a few minutes ago and immediately got shooed out!  “You don’t want to be here—you’re going to Madrid,” we were instructed.  “The new Flagship Lounge is two gates down.  More food, better food, hot food!”

So here we are at the Flagship Lounge’s bountiful hot food table.  Stowie, you have to control yourself!

7693210D-4A51-46E9-BE69-A91105474BFE.thumb.jpeg.bddb844ddab088e0227f6586874f7af8.jpeg

Good practice for when you board the Splendor..!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

8D81E9CC-673E-4BD4-9866-4EF9F1A94DFB.thumb.jpeg.1efa2c429bc2d80d7110addc089646a2.jpegTerry - looking forward to see you in March on Splendor then in December 2021 on the TA. See you sooon! Say hello to Ray for us! Remind him that he bought a bourbon on the rocks for Herb in Seti Mara in 2016!

Zqueeze1- which cruise are you doing in December 2021? We met you also on the Explorer TA in 2016. I was the lady with the red scooter and O2. 

Regards

sheila

We are the 7 Dec cruise heading out to the eastern Caribbean. We remember you very well and had a couple of nice conversations with you during the Nov 2016 TA on the Explorer. 
Z and TB