Live - Standing Ovation from the Land Down Under - New Zealand, 11 Nights Feb. 2, 2020

twangster

Following...envious, wish we were going.

Friendly reminder: Opal Card...perhaps one of the best value for getting around in any city in the world.

Gives you access to all the trains, ferries, and buses.  We used the Opal card on the bus to Bondi Beach.  We used the Opal card for the ferry to Manly Beach (our favorite).  And yes, you can use it going from from the OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal), a short 5-minute walk to the Circular Quay train station...and back to the airport.

Best yet, you can use the Opal card as many times as you want per day and only $15Aus will be debited from your card (could be a bit more now).  Simply add more money and you can use it again.

From the OPT, you'll be walking distance to most sights...The Rocks, Sydney Harbor Bridge, Sydney Opera House, botanical gardens, downtown....and many restaurants.

Sigh...yes, we love Sydney.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Ovation of the Seas, 11 Nights departing from Sydney Australia to New Zealand Feb 2, 2020

s. 

ov_day0-itinerary.jpg

Flying into Sydney two days prior and staying downtown my plan is to take the train into the city and sleep for the rest of the day.  Other plans include the Sydney Bridge Climb and a tour of the Sydney Opera House after which I'll either crash hard or have some gas left in the tank to explore a little bit more.  If I have time I may try to find Alice.  Maybe I'll get up early (or be up already) to watch Ovation come into port.

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go... 'Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane...

wow you are on yet another cruise.  Ya just got off the Anthem.   my goodness!!!!!!. well keep us posted.  You will be Pinnacle soon I predict.  hope the fires in Australia do not affect your Sydney trip.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Ovation of the Seas, 11 Nights departing from Sydney Australia to New Zealand Feb 2, 2020

Following your great reviews.😎

Glad to see you venture Down Under!

Best part of cruising from Sydney, is the CL/SL are never packed. 😎

There was a total of 5 pinnacles in my last 3 cruises ex Sydney(RD/OV/RD).

CL on Ovation is amazing and so is NZ!

eagerly awaiting you pics.

Enjoy

Craig

Edited by NumnuT
  • Like 1

For any non-resident looking at cruising out of Sydney there are some documentation requirements to consider.  An eTA or Electronic Travel Authorization is required.  Delta wouldn't check me in for the flight without proof of an Australian eTA so I'm glad I had a printed copy with me.  I also have a separate eTA for New Zealand.

I don't normally cruise with the eDocs booklet or things like hotel confirmation printed out but traveling internationally I've bought printed copies of everything in case immigration asks for them.

Here is a copy an email recently received from Royal:

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We can’t wait to welcome you onboard for our February 2nd Ovation of the Seas sailing. Before you board, we’d like to remind you to have your travel documentation ready. We want to kick off your vacation right and ensure your boarding is as smooth as possible, so below we’ve shared some packing and check-in tips to help you get ready.

Image did not load.

TRAVEL DOCUMENTS

• Since we’ll be visiting New Zealand, you’ll need either a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and you may need to pay an International Visitor Levy. To check your requirements, please click here.
  • And, make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months after your sailing as some countries we visit will deny you if it expires sooner.
  • Traveling with a minor who is not your child? In addition to their travel documents, you'll need to bring a letter of permission. Click here to learn more.

Image did not load.

PACKING TIPS

• Don’t forget to pack your camera, a comfortable pair of shoes, and a thirst for adventure! 
  • There are some items like, travel irons, steamers, and power strips, that must remain on land to ensure we maintain a safe environment. So, click here to check out the entire list of prohibited items so that whatever you bring isn’t taken by security! 
  • An adapter is a must! Onboard, we have US and European outlets.
  • If you need a power cord to operate any medical equipment, your Stateroom Attendant can provide you with one for the sailing.
  • Keep your passport book handy until you’ve completed your check-in at the terminal. Then, feel free to secure it in one of your bags.

Image did not load.

CHECK-IN TIPS

• If you haven't already done so, please check-in online at www.royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin and print the SetSail Pass for everyone in your party.
  • You can do this up to 72 hours prior to your sailing. Online check-in is the best way to expedite your embarkation.
  • Then, on boarding day, arrive to the pier at your selected time for a breezy check-in!

Securing the right travel documentation is very important. We want to ensure you enjoy your vacation and that nothing gets in the way! Governmental rules require that guests who do not have the proper documentation be denied boarding and we really don’t want that. We want your time with us to be perfect!

Thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

• Like 3

Good choice on the Taieri Gorge train - was one of my highlights of my last cruise. 

What I've found on cruises away from Aus is I can never really enjoy the karaoke because they sing songs I don't know. So, some songs to perhaps listen to in order to prepare yourself as they will appear numerous (and i mean NUMEROUS) times and are fun to sing along to: 

• Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel
  • Am I ever Gonna See Your Face Again by The Angels 
  • The Horses by Daryl Braithwaite
  • You're the Voice by John Farnham

Im sure some other Aussies could add to the list. 

Wishing you warm weather in NZ. Enjoy! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Following along and wishing you a wonderful cruise!  Looking forward to your great reviews and the photos.  We did this same itinerary in March 2019 with five days pre- and post-cruise, as there's so much to see and do in Sydney - the Rocks, Bridge Climb, Opera House, Blue Mountains, Bondi Beach, Manly Beach.  Great staff and crew, especially in Coastal Kitchen.  Bing in the Concierge (Suites) Lounge was a jewel.  Enjoy!

Donna

• Like 1

Did almost this exact itinerary a couple of years ago. Blistering hot in Sydney. Stayed near the Opera House. John was NOT having anything to do with a tour. Ship docks right there and we rolled our suitcases down to the pier. Bottled water was $8.00. Botannical garden was near Opera House. Beautiful and free. Art museum was free. Lots of fun stuff to see on the waterfront. Great people watching. If the plane ride wasn't eternal we would visit often!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, twangster said:

No, same rules - not allowed to bring anything.  Some things need to be experienced with the eye and not through a viewfinder.  I'm okay with that but won't have any pictures to share.

That's why we did the Pylon Climb. You can take photos of people on the bridge climb, and awesome shots of the harbor. And it was much less expensive. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Sigh...yes, we love Sydney.

I’ve been blessed to have traveled around the globe and Sydney is the only place I’ve ever thought “I could live here”!  Another fan of that great city!

PS - Don’t you find that, more often than not, the Australians you meet while traveling are some of the nicest people?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alter Ego said:

I’ve been blessed to have traveled around the globe and Sydney is the only place I’ve ever thought “I could live here”!  Another fan of that great city!

PS - Don’t you find that, more often than not, the Australians you meet while traveling are some of the nicest people?

Us Aussies are suckers for a good compliment, you would be hugely popular here 🙂

She is definitely a beautiful city to fly into on a nice day and feel like you’re home after a trip. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alter Ego said:

You only love the good exchange rate . LoL

• Haha 1

Will be following with much interest.  I hope to book for 2022. I had hoped to do it in 2021, but my wife already booked our winter in Florida.  

Our plan will be to fly to Hawaii, and spend a week there, then continue on to Sydney. It may make our time adjustments a little easier. 

• Like 3