Anyone concern about the Coronavirus and cruising

mouche

14 minutes ago, mouche said:

Has Carnival suspended any cruises in the region of China due to the Coronavirus? Are any of you concerned about this with your upcoming cruise?

Carnival corp has and I know Royal has as well.  I do not think there is a reason to be concerned with cruising as we know it, bit this is a big deal and should get everyones attention.   

We're leaving on the 8th on the Panorama and I live in CA.  There's a unnamed virus going around our town.  Everyone I know who's gotten it has gone to the doctor and they are treating symptoms, not actually giving anyone anything to treat the virus itself.  There's also no pre-shot.  I am taking Airborne and tons of vitamin C and washing my hands at every turn, but there's not much else you can do.  It's just that season.  We will be avoiding the cruise buffet and washing frequently, but its one tiny, tiny virus cell and not much you can pre-plan for.

Just now, mouche said:

Thanks for the replies, I too am leaving in 10 days on the Sunshine, and I must admit it has crossed my mind, but I will do everything I can to up sanitization, and pray no one gets sick😁 

I think you will be just fine.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

No, not worried at all.   More concerned with flu or noro than coronavirus.   We just wash, wash, wash.  Sanitize our cabin with hospital grade wipes that do kill the norovirus (not all wipes do) and enjoy our vacation.

• Like 1

I leave for LAX tomorrow and will be going on the Panorama.  I'm no more worried about this than any other flu, cold, or pneumonia virus--which is to say I'm not particularly worried.  There's always something--disease, natural disasters, political situations.

• Like 1

We go on the Vista on April 4th.  I can imagine that if the novel coronavirus is still spreading by then I could see cruise lines checking people for fevers before boarding.  I think it would have to get worse than the seasonal flu for cruises to be cancelled?

Edited by scotrooper

17 hours ago, glrounds said:

EXACTOMUNDO, Aplmac 🙂

12,000 to 61,000 death in the U.S. annually from the common flu.

650,00 deaths annually worldwide.

5 reported Coronavirus cases in the U.S. with NO deaths.

The worry warts should concentrate on their freeway drive to the cruise port or airport. That's where their exposure is.

20 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

This is terrible. The sick woman with a slight fever is from Macau, a semi-autonomous region away from the epicenter of the virus. Macau as of 1/30/20 has SEVEN single cases. This cruise left on 1/23/20, only one day after Macau reported it's first case on 1/22/20. On a ship of 6,000 some people at any given moment will be sick. 

Absurd reactions like these, disrupting thousands of travel plans and stigmatizing seemingly anyone from the general China region, is not good. This comes after University of Miami in Ohio canceled sporting events for the entire school just because two students recently returned from the region.

Meanwhile, how many of the people at the top making these irrational decisions probably skipped getting the flu shot this year?

One of the reasons for all the fear is that China is NOT forth coming on the severity of the epidemic.  The government  refuses any outside help.  Thus even the common cold coupled with say an intestinal virus not related to coronavirus will be treated as quarantine, especially if person is from or recently been in China.  Until someone gets a handle on this there will be panic. 

One thing on a cruise ship you can do in addition to washing hands with soap, is to use disinfectant wipes.  Last thing you want to see are people wandering around with Clorox Bleach or Lysol Spray as if they are Merry Maids.  But wipes are good to use if climbing stairs or touching public access things in the buffet and wiping down a lounger.

Since Coronavirus is supposedly transmitted via facial and skin contact, if you drink Corona, you might just contact Coronavirus if your server or bartender is a carrier and they touched your lime which you will push down into your bottle then wipe your face.  A bit of satire folks, don't go flaming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

This is terrible. The sick woman with a slight fever is from Macau, a semi-autonomous region away from the epicenter of the virus. Macau as of 1/30/20 has SEVEN single cases. This cruise left on 1/23/20, only one day after Macau reported it's first case on 1/22/20. On a ship of 6,000 some people at any given moment will be sick. 

Absurd reactions like these, disrupting thousands of travel plans and stigmatizing seemingly anyone from the general China region, is not good. This comes after University of Miami in Ohio canceled sporting events for the entire school just because two students recently returned from the region.

Meanwhile, how many of the people at the top making these irrational decisions probably skipped getting the flu shot this year?

Certainly overkill, and that is what mainline media does best.  That said, better to be well informed as opposed to the opposite. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jessMN74 said:

I agree with you! What kind of immune support supplement are you taking?

It is made by a company called wellness and is called immune support. We are able to get it at WalMart as well as on Amazon.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Certainly overkill, and that is what mainline media does best.  That said, better to be well informed as opposed to the opposite. 

Being well-informed is one thing and certainly important. But there are better ways to inform people than to unnecessarily scare people  and ruin their vacations! 🙂

We are on the NCL Bliss, from New York, starting this Sunday, 1st Feb. I asked the NCL UK office what precautions they will be taking. They will be screening everybody before boarding. Anyone who has been in China in the last 30 days will not be allowed on board, regardless of whether they have symptoms or how long they have been in the US.

• Like 1