Weather

I was looking at a cruise that includes Aarhus, Copenhagen, Oslo, Berlin, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm.  It is a transatlantic which we like.  Unfortunately, the dates starting at Aarhus is April 23rd and it ends in Copenhagen on May 5th.  I'm thinking it might be very cold at that time of the year.  Has anyone been in this area in that time frame?

Define “way too cold” 😉

In Oslo, the average temperature for the last week of April over the last five years has been 6°C, 4°C, 4°C, 8°C, and 16°C. Last year was definitely an outlier, but this winter has been among the warmest on record, so maybe it’s the new normal?

5 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

Define “way too cold” 😉

In Oslo, the average temperature for the last week of April over the last five years has been 6°C, 4°C, 4°C, 8°C, and 16°C. Last year was definitely an outlier, but this winter has been among the warmest on record, so maybe it’s the new normal?

That seems pretty cold to me.  I think I'll forget a transatlantic in April.

13 minutes ago, Ferndale Girl said:

That seems pretty cold to me.  I think I'll forget a transatlantic in April.

I think it would be, coming from Arizona! A Baltic cruise in peak summer would probably be a great way to beat the heat back home, though. (Our last Baltic cruise was in late August -- usually hot and humid back home but around 20-25C in the Baltic.)

If you are prepared and dressed for the weather then the cold won't be that much of a problem. But you are probably better off visiting around July-August when the weather is very comfortable. Just expect huge crowds as these are peak months. 

My experience is based on living in Southern Finland, but that time of year weather can be variable: it can be sunny and warm (maybe up to 20°C or so) or you may encounter the last snow fall of the spring, although the snow likely won't stay on the ground for long. Also, there can be fairly significant differences in temperatures between cold morning hours and afternoon warmth. The coastal regions may also be slightly cooler since the sea is still cold, although perhaps not as cold as some inland lakes, which will loose their ice cover around that time.

Thank you to all of you who replied.  I've decided against this cruise because of the weather.  I looked at other ones in the summer and also trans atlantics coming back that would have warmer weather.  The thought of the long flight going over there and then going on the cruise made me decide against that idea.  We like trans atlantics on the way over so we're not tired for the busy shore excursions.  I found one going to Portugal, France, England, Ireland and Scotland that I think would be warmer.  We've been to a few of the ports before but I'm sure we'll find something different to see this time.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Indeed Nothern Europe is unpredictable in May. I remember when we were in St.Petersurg at that time several years ago on the first day of the tour I was wearing a T-shirt and on the second day a sweater and a coat!

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2020 at 8:15 PM, Nok977 said:

This is a shame we could not go this year ((. Seems that right now most of the ports have perfect summer weather, in average around 80-85 F, but to my knowledge it is not always the case, my sister told me they had  around 60 F when cruising in the Nordics. 

85F is pretty miserable in Oslo, because our infrastructure isn't built for it. Buildings are typically designed to maximize sunlight and preserve heat for the rest of the year. Very few places have air conditioning, and since the city doesn't usually have much wind, it can get uncomfortable very quickly. Even outdoor cafe and restaurant seating is typically limited to sunny areas, so there has been an unusual trend lately that people are flocking to anywhere that has shade!

I generally prefer the low-to-mid 70s, but even I'm happy see the temperature dropping back down to the mid-60s this week!

On 6/27/2020 at 2:15 PM, Nok977 said:

This is a shame we could not go this year ((. Seems that right now most of the ports have perfect summer weather, in average around 80-85 F, but to my knowledge it is not always the case, my sister told me they had  around 60 F when cruising in the Nordics. 

Obviously, it depends where you come from; I don't consider 80-85F perfect weather for touring; I find that quite hot. 😀