Wife is anxious about going

SteelersNationVa

On 1/29/2020 at 8:39 PM, SteelersNationVa said:

I want to go on the Alaska cruise. My DW is anxious. She is concerned about being confined to a ship. She has claustrophobia. She is concerned about over crowded places. We love hiking and exploring new places. Had a great vacation in the Tetons & Yellowstone. Alaska is my next bucket list. I want to go on RC Radiance or Serenade of the Seas. 

We have 23 yo triplets with disabilities and both of us are always on pins and needles how they will handle a new adventure. I think they will be fine. May need assistance with embarking & disembarking. 

It could go either way. My wife has had some anxiety issues 20 years ago, was uncomfortable with crowds, water, basically everything to do with a ship. She broke down and surprised me with tickets to a cruise for a birthday many years ago because she knows I love the sea. She was uncomfortable at first, but now we are both lovers of the cruising experience. Looking back, she said it was a bad idea to hop aboard an 11 day cruise for a first time, not knowing the outcome. I would have the wife try a short cruise (if available in your region) to see if it would be something she can tolerate (I'm not sure how many sea days are in the typical Alaska itinerary's).

Baby steps.

Good luck!

Edited by NoobCroozer

Here's an idea. Take your wife to a hotel that is connected to a large mall.  Spend one day exploring the mall, eat lunch there, in the afternoon go to the hotel pool, then shower and eat dinner at the hotel or a nice restaurant in the mall.  The next day, have breakfast and then leave the hotel and go out and do something completely different such as going to a botanic garden or on a hike or take a boat ride.  Come back to the hotel for dinner and sleep.  That is very close to what a day on a ship might be like and what a day doing an excursion off the ship, then returning to the ship for dinner would be like.

if you go on any cruise u should stay put after muster is over and let people clear out of the space. then the elevators. it is truly the madhouse you think it will be . the quickest time i ever got an elevator is 15 min. sometimes can be more. you gotta fight for it. literallly camp out in front of just one and stay there and wait for it to come and hope theres enough room for all your party. trying to run to the 'next one' just doesnt work. unless its right next to where you are. 

muster is really crazy on any ship ive been on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 9:18 PM, SteelersNationVa said:

Thanks for the offer. We have 23 to triplets. All with ID. DS2 has ASD, DD2 is nonverbal & Used an iPad to communicate. We will travel with DD1 who is a special Ed teacher. We will do lots of hiking and other cool excursions. 

It's great to hear that some accommodations are in place.  Is the one with ASD verbal?  Is she high functioning?

• 4 weeks later...

First go STEELERS.  I also have claustrophobia, but i love to cruise. The inside rooms are a little hard for me. So i would at least get a window room. With that being said i have been on over 20 cruises and i hope to do 20 more. It is the best vacation you can ever go on. Have a great cruise.

• 1 year later...

Show your wife some Youtube videos of the particular ship you are considering booking. 

Ships are not claustrophobic, they are gigantic, floating hotels. From the moment you board you will be mesmerized by their beauty. There is an endless array of on board activities to keep you busy. 

Book a cabin with a balcony so you can have a private sanctuary to go outside every day and enjoy the breathtaking views. 

The food is terrific, the entertainment is varied, you will meet plenty of great people. Cruising is a wonderful way to travel and the best part is every day or so you wake up in a new port without having to pack up and fly off somewhere. 

Hope you and your family have an excellent cruise to Alaska. 

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

Agree with all the suggestions to get a balcony cabin, and to spread out.  Most ships have adjoining cabins, which would allow you to set up the kids and all their gear in one space.  Your room steward may also be able to stow one or both of the twin beds (if you are using Pack n Plays) to free up floor space.  The beds are a mattress on a metal frame (no box-spring), which could be tilted up against the wall. 

While most first-time cruisers over pack, and travelling with little ones will multiply luggage needs, think about using soft-sided luggage that will slide under the bed.

Considerations, select a cabin near the elevator lobby and stairs so that the door opens on to open space rather than onto a narrow corridor. 

Consider where to park the stroller(s).  Per fire code, they're not supposed to be left in the hall -- although some guests on some ships get away with it.  BUT, there are also storage rooms where the rented mobility scooters get parked overnight to be charged.  We have seen strollers parked there different times, which gets them out of the way.

While the special needs department may not have some support for your wife, they may be able to identify services and strategies for the children.  Stroller parking, early dinner reservations, etc.

For Alaska specifically, loads of guests spend the fjord days on their balconies, which reduces the numbers elsewhere.  During my 3 trips there, some pool decks were enclosed (retractable roof), leaving warm, dry areas with plenty of tables/chairs and open space next to big windows.

• 7 months later...