Dining Room Attire on Formal Nights

thecruisers723

This topic has me pretty worried about my upcoming sailing on the Ruby in August. I have only ever sailed NCL before and my day-to-day dress on any cruise consists of jeans, a t-shirt, sneakers, and a hoodie as such:

_G4lelJn_UN_s6Q9yhaOs0_ylDK_J4PCiXks1gae

My "formal" attire on a cruise, which I typically wear to specialty restaurants and the one more formal dining room is a maxi dress, sandals, and usually a little sweater as such:

VVNuSXEG4qVJVjbVR9klz8fll4Xa-KO3AeZNz3zx

Am I never allowed to wear jeans in the MDR? Is my dress still too casual for a formal night in the MDR?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Am I never allowed to wear jeans in the MDR? Is my dress still too casual for a formal night in the MDR?

Jeans are allowed on Smart Casual nights, and they are expected to be neat and not torn and full of holes.  Your dress looks great to me.

8 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

What you have in those two pictures will be fine in the MDR on smart casual and formal nights.

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Jeans are allowed on Smart Casual nights, and they are expected to be neat and not torn and full of holes.  Your dress looks great to me.

That is a huge relief! Thanks for the replies!

JamieLogical, you'll be fine!  Your pretty print dress is great, I'd say no worries.  I like to see people dressed nice, neat, doesn't have to be fancy but I get the other side, too. 

I don't understand all the back and forth about it because it doesn't solve anything, with all the ships and personnel, bound to be inconsistent.  People know what the guidelines are, posting them over and over trying to prove a point, my thought is relax and enjoy cruising.  I do no matter what I'm wearing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

This topic has me pretty worried about my upcoming sailing on the Ruby in August. I have only ever sailed NCL before and my day-to-day dress on any cruise consists of jeans, a t-shirt, sneakers, and a hoodie as such:

_G4lelJn_UN_s6Q9yhaOs0_ylDK_J4PCiXks1gae

This would pass for casual evenings in the DR. 

18 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

My "formal" attire on a cruise, which I typically wear to specialty restaurants and the one more formal dining room is a maxi dress, sandals, and usually a little sweater as such:

VVNuSXEG4qVJVjbVR9klz8fll4Xa-KO3AeZNz3zx

It would be allowed in any dining establishment. 

21 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Most of the time the crew lacks the backbone to enforce the dress code which has not changed. It is now more about you as a guest do you want to respect others on the ship and follow the rules, or do you feel you are somehow special and the rules don't apply to you?  The choice is yours but understand sometimes Princess crews have a backbone and enforce the rules I have seen smart casual turned away on Princess cruises within the last year.  The formal night dress code is not a suggestion or recommendation, it is the rule on the ships.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

The "rules" that you posted have been modified but the sailing public for many years now.  Adhere to them if you wish but are not a requirement on any of the numerous Princess ships I've sailed on for many years. 

So yes they are suggestions only.

Why should anyone have to conform to what others believe I should wear? 

When someone else pays my way on board I'll conform to their wishes but in the mean time it's my cruise & only I should make that determination since I'm the one that paid my fare. 

19 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

For those of you who seem to have a stricter interpretation of the dress requirements for ingesting food, I am sorry if the photos I posted on the previous page have ruined your appetite for today.

Hoodies and sneakers are not usually thought of as smart casual 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broadside said:

I don't know what the definitions of all of these dress code terms actually are, which is why I posted the photos. Three posters have told me that I would be fine in the MDR in that outfit on non-formal nights. I take it you disagree? I suppose I need a larger sample size to determine whether or not I will actually get turned away.

Just now, JamieLogical said:

I don't know what the definitions of all of these dress code terms actually are, which is why I posted the photos. Three posters have told me that I would be fine in the MDR in that outfit on non-formal nights. I take it you disagree? I suppose I need a larger sample size to determine whether or not I will actually get turned away.

I was trying make a more general point. I can't really guide you on what exactly would trigger being turned away on the night . 

10 minutes ago, Broadside said:

I was trying make a more general point. I can't really guide you on what exactly would trigger being turned away on the night . 

Ugh. I just tried to Google "smart casual" and there is basically no accepted definition at all?!?! Why does the cruise line use such a nebulous term? The only really clear restrictions in what Princess has posted are "Dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn." Since my jeans aren't frayed or holey and I am, in fact, wearing shoes, I assume I am safe? It doesn't say anything about t-shirts or hoodies. I don't want to get turned away from the MDR, but I also don't want to have to buy a whole new wardrobe for a cruise. All the pants I own are jeans or yoga pants and I only own three dresses.

• Like 1

We just returned last month from a b2b on the Sky Princess.  I have never seen as many men wearing shorts and a t-shirt on any given night (smart casual or formal) as I did on that cruise.  The dress code has been totally rewritten by passengers and they will wear whatever they want.

1 minute ago, famski740 said:

We just returned last month from a b2b on the Sky Princess.  I have never seen as many men wearing shorts and a t-shirt on any given night (smart casual or formal) as I did on that cruise.  The dress code has been totally rewritten by passengers and they will wear whatever they want.

Works for me.

• Like 1

Black on Black New Balance Leather lace up sneakers for formal night with black linen pants and a long-sleeve dark blue checked shirt

you got a problem with that ?  and would be fully OK if the Mc'D stated not tonight in MY dining room !

23 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I would say that you are fine on both occasions.  Your jeans are not in any state of disrepair that would prevent you from the MDR during regular dining ... and your dress is perfectly fine for formal dining, as my DW has dressed similarly a number of times before. (Would love to see a Maitre D' argue with a lady whether or not her 'dress' clarifies as an evening gown or cocktail dress -lol).   

Enforcement of the dress code, particularly for formal nights really comes down to the whim of whoever is standing there at the entrance.  There is an article by the Washington Post last year titled "The demise of formal nights on cruises: How dress codes are tearing passengers apart" that puts a perspective on the whole matter.  Cruising has definitely evolved over the last few decades … but so are the type of people who now cruise.  

'Smart Casual' means different things to different  people.  Airline luggage weight allowances are cited as reasons for not travelling with formal wear etc etc.

If the cruise lines would apply their dress codes stringently, across the fleet, in all areas, we would all know where we stand.

After 25+ cruises which began in 1969, when formal meant formal, I am still confused. I don't judge what people are wearing, but feel I want to blend in with what others are wearing.

Last year on a family Mediterranean cruise (RCCL) where we all wore formal dress on formal night, for formal photos, we were made to feel uncomfortable as people with shorts on stared as they entered the MDR. Earlier that year, ( Australia) my husband was turned away from the MDR on Princess  smart casual nights, for trying to wear tailored shorts. Later the same year (Princess , in the Caribbean) many people,including husband wore shorts to MDR on smart casual nights.

Basically, what I think I am saying is that ' anything goes'. Some people on these boards advocate black trousers with various 'nice' ( whatever nice means,) tops for formal evenings..floaty, sparkly? Others will say they wear the same outfit several times on a cruise to cut down weight, some people manage with one pair of ballet pumps for all evenings.

My husband takes either an evening suit (tux) or more often, a dark suit, with formal shoes. Never a sports' jacket. I take 'cocktail' dresses with high heeled shoes for formal nights and a variety of linen trousers and tops, linen or jersey dresses with wedge sandals for smart casual.  I overpack whatever I take as I like having choices.

Have a look at some YouTube videos which show what people pack for various cruise lines to reassure yourself.. You'd probably get away with jeans and hoodies in Alaska and on first and last nights when cases may or may not have turned up. Speciality dining allows smart casual any evening, some book that to avoid MDR on formal nights, there's always the buffet. You still might want to sit in bars around the ship, where some might look at you in a judgemental sort of way for being under dressed for formal nights.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I am sure you will be fine.

• Like 1

As long as we look nice for dinner, I think that's fine.  Yes, all lines have relaxed their dress codes, and I'm glad because I don't want to pack cocktail dresses or tuxes anymore.   Conversely, I have friends who want to bring their formalwear on cruises, and that's fine for them.    

No judgments from me on what you're wearing--I'm on vacation and not paying attention to what you've got on.   I'm not the self-appointed formalwear police!   😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

You do not need anymore "sample size" to know what you posted is acceptable by Princess.  Why worry about others?

On 2/3/2020 at 11:10 AM, Expat Cruise said:

Sorry but not a recommendation... observe the dress code seems to be be very clear. Does not say we suggest says "When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests."

Not your choice to change the rules because you do not like them.

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

The suggested dress code can be found in different places on the cruise website, on papers you get in your cabin and sometimes at entrance to the MDR. They are not always saying the same thing and the one you are quoting is not enforced consistently throughout the fleet.

Edited by dog

JaimieLogical,you mention that you are taking a cruise on the Ruby Princess in August.I see in your signature that this is an Alaskan cruise. Your outfit of jeans,t shirt and hoodie would definitely be appropriate for daytime excursions in the various ports. However, sometimes Summer days can be quite warm in Alaska. I recall my DH and  I  leaving the ship in our first port,Ketchikan ,dressed in turtlenecks and jeans. Once outside, we noticed the warm temperatures and immediately returned to our cabin to change into shorts and t shirts. Good advice is to pack a bit of everything to accommodate the Alaskan weather. You may want to check the Alaskan port forum to check about this.

It has been my experience that passengers tend to dress a bit more casually in the evenings for dinner both in the MDR and the specialty restaurants on an Alaskan cruise. This may be due to the length of the excursions not allowing much time between returning to the ship and being ready for dinner. Also,those going on Alaskan cruises may be more interested in exploring Alaska than getting into the “cruise experience”.

However, I have a suggestion for smart casual evenings. If you want to wear jeans, choose a crisp,cotton shirt to go with them. IMHO, such an outfit upgrades the look over a t shirt and/or hoodie if you are dining in the MDR or a specialty restaurant where dinner is a step above the buffet.

For formal nights, consider what you might wear to a wedding.The maxi dress in your photo looks fine . On Princess you may find women in very dressy cocktail dresses,some in gowns and others in black pants with dressy tops all accompanied with jewelry and dressy sandals/shoes.  This type of dress may be found on Caribbean  or European/Asian cruises,not necessarily on an Alaskan cruise. You may most likely see women wearing  more casual pants and tops or more casual dresses ranging from mini to maxi styles on your cruise.

Another poster suggested YouTube videos as to what to pack for a cruise. Such videos may be helpful for you. Also the TLC program,What Not to Wear gives good advice as how to dress for various occasions. If you are concerned about your wardrobe choices for your upcoming cruise, you may find these two video resources  

helpful.

.    You made a good decision about choosing a Princess cruise to Alaska over NCL. Princess ships have been traveling to Alaska for many years and the experience offered by Princess in this part of the world can’t be beat.

I hope you enjoy your cruise !

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, famski740 said:

It seems as though it a common occurrence on the other ships as well. The staff no longer questions any dress other than maybe a bathing suit & possibly will even allow that on casual nights with a cover-up. 

19 hours ago, Broadside said:

Although they aren't they have been seen on many of our Princess cruises for years now. Just about anything goes on casual evenings. 

On 2/4/2020 at 10:34 AM, JamieLogical said:

You should not have any issues going into the MDR in the outfit you posted.

This is a touchy subject on here and you will get various answers from various people.  Remember that things like smart casual are very different depending on which area of the country/world you are from , which demographic/age group you fall into etc....  Some opinions will be supportive, some possibly not very friendly or positive. 

You will see so many different styles and manners of dress on board.  They don't like ripped jeans so just don't wear those.  (Of course those are very fashionable right now and I see designer ripped jeans out all the time here in Miami) On our Caribbean cruises I've seen all kinds of styles at night, including a lot of shorts in the MDR as well as speciality restaurants.  I've seen people in dress shoes, sandals and sneakers.  Again, taste is subjective and everyone's idea of smart casual varies so just follow their guidelines of no ripped jeans and you should be fine. 

I really hope you enjoy every moment of your cruise!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 1