Dining Room Attire on Formal Nights

thecruisers723

7 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

You should not have any issues going into the MDR in the outfit you posted.

This is a touchy subject on here and you will get various answers from various people.  Remember that things like smart casual are very different depending on which area of the country/world you are from , which demographic/age group you fall into etc....  Some opinions will be supportive, some possibly not very friendly or positive. 

You will see so many different styles and manners of dress on board.  They don't like ripped jeans so just don't wear those.  (Of course those are very fashionable right now and I see designer ripped jeans out all the time here in Miami) On our Caribbean cruises I've seen all kinds of styles at night, including a lot of shorts in the MDR as well as speciality dinner.  I've seen people in dress shoes, sandals and sneakers.  Again, taste is subjective and everyone's idea of smart casual varies so just follow their guidelines of no ripped jeans and you should be fine. 

I really hope you enjoy every moment of your cruise!

Thank you for that. The last thing I want to be doing on a cruise is stressing about ANYTHING. I have only started cruising recently and, like I said before, my first 7 cruises (will be 9 by the time I am on Princess) have all been with NCL. So this whole dress code thing is new to me and a source of quite a bit of anxiety. I want to just be able to relax and enjoy myself. I don't see why I should have to dress more nicely on VACATION than I do for work every day. But I get that there is tradition here and some people are clinging to that and it is important to them.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:31 AM, famski740 said:

We just returned last month from a b2b on the Sky Princess.  I have never seen as many men wearing shorts and a t-shirt on any given night (smart casual or formal) as I did on that cruise.  The dress code has been totally rewritten by passengers and they will wear whatever they want.

That seems to be the trend on most of the Princess ships lately. They don't like to confront any of the passengers no matter how their dressed- not that it makes any difference to me. 

Just got off the Regal yesterday. Several people went in dining rooms wearing shorts. No attempt to stop them. 

On Nieuw Statendam 26 Jan. Didn’t see anyone attempting to enter dining rooms in shorts. 

On Celebrity Edge 19 Jan. Saw people turned away wearing shorts.