Cancellation Refunds – Post Your Experience

Host Jazzbeau

8 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Sorry, I have another question. One of our hotels had a non-refundable price so we've lost the money we paid for it. Do you think Windstar will reimburse us? Will it slow down the airfare refunds if I include the hotel in our claim?

Windstar has refunded us for both the airfare and the hotel, all non-refundable.

2 hours ago, ridethetide said:

Windstar has refunded us for both the airfare and the hotel, all non-refundable.

That would be nice. I looks like the non-refundable hotel will be my only charge. The airlines and Alaska Railroad didn't charge change/cancellation fees.

Just got back from our holiday on the Legend today and found my cheque in the pile of mail to be opened. My email about the FCC for the cancelled segment arrived while I was still on board, but I had already used it when I booked my next cruise while on board. Julia was able to find it in our customer record and apply it to the cruise. 

So, I'd have to say I've been most pleased with how I was treated by Windstar over my cancellation. Financially, I benefited with an additional 20% off on my rebooked cruise, the refund of the segment I canceled showed up on my credit card within 2 weeks (I think - it was over Christmas so it might have been just over 2 weeks) and the refund of my non-recoverable expenses likely came within 30 days of my submission, I just wasn't here to receive it. 

On 2/21/2020 at 12:58 PM, patty1955 said:

Sorry, I have another question. One of our hotels had a non-refundable price so we've lost the money we paid for it. Do you think Windstar will reimburse us? Will it slow down the airfare refunds if I include the hotel in our claim?

They paid me for my non-refundable Air BnB reservations when they cancelled my cruise.  My claim was paid about three weeks after I submitted it.

I’ve just resubmitted for air reimbursement. This is the third time. I emailed with info on the Smartsheet in Dec. and again in Feb. and heard nothing. Each time I called I got the standard answer “they are working on it, we are a small office, etc.”. Yesterday I called once again and was told that they got my info but could not open the files. Why couldn’t they have told me this a couple of months ago. I just put all of the required documentation in a large envelope and mailed it to them Certified Mail. I will let you know how this goes.

Incidentally, we really enjoyed our cruise on Star Legend and have booked again for Nov.

So after serious consideration of risks of quarantine, we decided going thru with our March 14 11 day Wind Star cruise.   A 2 night stay in Panama prior had been arranged and flights to Panama City with a return home from St Marteen was booked.   I had questioned our travel agent a few days before departure if ports of calls were still accepting the Wind Star passengers onto their shores and given assurance that at that date they were.     Low and behold , shortly after flying into and checking into our hotel in Panama City Thursday evening March 12, I opened the email from Windstar informing me that all their cruises had been suspended effective on our sail away date of March 14.    So we arranged for return home flights Friday on the next day that we had anticipated a sail away out of Colon on the Wind Star.   The upcharge for next day flights for 2 cost us more than $800.  Is it reasonable to expect Windstar to reimburse for our extra transportation home costs?  Also, is it with in reason to expect coverage for the hotel stay prior to our cancel cruise?  

14 hours ago, nkcbkc said:

So after serious consideration of risks of quarantine, we decided going thru with our March 14 11 day Wind Star cruise.   A 2 night stay in Panama prior had been arranged and flights to Panama City with a return home from St Marteen was booked.   I had questioned our travel agent a few days before departure if ports of calls were still accepting the Wind Star passengers onto their shores and given assurance that at that date they were.     Low and behold , shortly after flying into and checking into our hotel in Panama City Thursday evening March 12, I opened the email from Windstar informing me that all their cruises had been suspended effective on our sail away date of March 14.    So we arranged for return home flights Friday on the next day that we had anticipated a sail away out of Colon on the Wind Star.   The upcharge for next day flights for 2 cost us more than $800.  Is it reasonable to expect Windstar to reimburse for our extra transportation home costs?  Also, is it with in reason to expect coverage for the hotel stay prior to our cancel cruise?  

We were to be on that same itinerary but had canceled earlier in the week out of fears of being stranded somewhere.  It is my understanding that they are providing FCC.  I have not heard anything about reimbursing for travel expenses.  Unlike the Sea Breeze cancellations due to delay in the stretching project, this was not their fault or under their control. Unfortunately, our trip insurance will also not cover the travel expenses since they only cover diagnosed illness, not fear of illness.

After three months of submitting documents, etc. to Windstar and being told that they were "working" on it, I finally asked my Travel Agent to intervene. They told her that we would not get reimbursed for our airfare because they had returned our money for the TA on the Star Breeze. However, because of the cancellation of the Star Breeze, we were stuck in Lisbon, after taking the Star Legend across. The only way we could get home was by air. They refuse to reimburse us for that. I don't know what else to do.

So disappointed in Windstar; we are thinking of cancelling our next cruise with them.

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

After three months of submitting documents, etc. to Windstar and being told that they were "working" on it, I finally asked my Travel Agent to intervene. They told her that we would not get reimbursed for our airfare because they had returned our money for the TA on the Star Breeze. However, because of the cancellation of the Star Breeze, we were stuck in Lisbon, after taking the Star Legend across. The only way we could get home was by air. They refuse to reimburse us for that. I don't know what else to do.

So disappointed in Windstar; we are thinking of cancelling our next cruise with them.

Our TA got her senior management involved with WS senior management and all was resolved very quickly and fairly for us. Don't give up,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

We made final payment on our June 9 cruise to our TA prior to the official WS final payment date. I ended up cancelling on March 10 (WS final payment date) and got confirmation that we'd have refund in full back to our card. Nothing yet. Hearing on another page that refunds are taking 4-6 weeks. Im sure the volume is enormous.

So Windstar offered a  refund on the CRUISE ONLY paid for our June 9th trip  or 125% of what you paid towards a future cruise. Now it will be time to deal with the travel insurance folks as to all the other expenses potentially lost . That is likely to be a struggle.

Also Lost is the on board credit we had as Windstar said they would NOT put that forward if you choose the FCC.

• 2 weeks later...

A question for everyone. I am a Windstar fan but reluctant to put down a deposit for late 2020 (have an Air Tahiti Nui credit that has to be used by 12/31/20) Worried about WS surviving. My dilemma is losing the air credit, vs. losing the cruise deposit, vs. losing both, vs. possibly enjoying another 17 days on Wind Spirit.

Honestly I don't see any ships sailing until at least 2021. What are your thoughts?

A question for everyone. I am a Windstar fan but reluctant to put down a deposit for late 2020 (have an Air Tahiti Nui credit that has to be used by 12/31/20) Worried about WS surviving. My dilemma is losing the air credit, vs. losing the cruise deposit, vs. losing both, vs. possibly enjoying another 17 days on Wind Spirit.
Honestly I don't see any ships sailing until at least 2021. What are your thoughts?

I wonder if ATN would extend the usage timeframe of your credit considering most of this year has been shot.

I’d wager late 2020 but 2021 sounds more realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We are Hoping that September 10, 17 day cruise is a go with Windstar Spirit.

We Booked our air directly with United From SFO.

Final payment is in mid June.

Hopefully will have a clearer Picture of the situation in Tahiti by Mid June.

So far Tahiti is starting to open up for the locals so we will need to see how that rolling openings go and if they are going to start allowing tourist to visit by August/September.....

On 4/19/2020 at 1:47 PM, Petoonya said:

Unfortunately I bought my ATN through Qantas because I saved $1k. Qantas is a pain to deal with. 5-6h waits every time I call. I'll take a deep breath and call in a few more days. Thanks.

Petoonya, I am not sure how you bought ATN tickets via Qantas, and they may have some unusual "code share" arrangement.  But if that was not the case, here is some information which may help you.

The control of tickets, and how they can (or cannot) be cancelled, exchanged or refunded rests with the "ticketing carrier".  AND that is the carrier you should be able to discuss this with.  Take a look at the "ticket numbers" on your confirmation.  That number should be 3 digits followed by 10 digits (example 123-1234567890).  If the first 3 digits are "244" the actual "ticketing carrier" was ATN.  If the digits are "081", the tickets were issued by Qantas.  If it is 244, ATN should be willing to talk with you about this, but they still may not give you what you need.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Del Rio said:

Petoonya, I am not sure how you bought ATN tickets via Qantas, and they may have some unusual "code share" arrangement.  But if that was not the case, here is some information which may help you.

The control of tickets, and how they can (or cannot) be cancelled, exchanged or refunded rests with the "ticketing carrier".  AND that is the carrier you should be able to discuss this with.  Take a look at the "ticket numbers" on your confirmation.  That number should be 3 digits followed by 10 digits (example 123-1234567890).  If the first 3 digits are "244" the actual "ticketing carrier" was ATN.  If the digits are "081", the tickets were issued by Qantas.  If it is 244, ATN should be willing to talk with you about this, but they still may not give you what you need.  Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. 🙂

Long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I owned a travel agency and for some strange reason still remember airline codes. (And even all city codes, domestic and international 🙂 My grandkids love to quiz me on them. The 6 year old is very impressed 😉)

Mine is definitely ticketed by Qantas- it was one way only. Since I my earlier post, I discovered that I'll get about 6 months longer to use their voucher as opposed to ATN's.  Which is delightful.

Qantas has had a code share relationship with ATN for several years as do  Air NZ and JAL. My last one way Tahiti was 2 years ago and again saved heaps booking it that time with Air NZ. But would have been same price as ATN had it been RT.

Unfortunately I told someone on my cruise that I'd booked via Qantas. Sadly she jumped in and booked it with a consolidator on Kayak! And don't have to tell you how that worked out voucher wise.

Thanks so much. When I finally got the right person at Qantas after 7 tries it was easy to get my voucher. All set for the next trip to Tahiti- sure hope it could be 2021. Best to you.

PS. I did rebook the same cruise that was cancelled on Oceania PPT- Hawaii- SFO for 4/4/21. Whether it sails or not is anyone's guess. We did the 17 day Tahiti November 2018 and would love to do that instead but will just sit tight for now.

Edited by Petoonya

My Wife and I had a wonderful trip planned from Rome to Venice.  3 days in Rome before getting on the Windstar Breeze. Then 3 days in Venice. Now at home like everyone else. I canceled last month and Windstar put the money back on my card in 2 weeks. American Airlines refunded the money in 3 weeks. So I have no issues I think canceling before the time limited of 120 days from sailing helped me.

My wife and I love Windstar. The issues I see is people who don't go direct and think a travel agent can do a better deal? I hope for and the employees of Windstar stay healthy and I'm back on board in 2021. 

Not quite cancellations, but close.

We were to be on a Seward to Vancouver voyage in early August on the Breeze.  Just before our final payment date, Windstar cancelled all of the Breeze's North America itineraries for the summer.  We received notice on April 1 that the cruise was cancelled and we were automatically getting the 125% FCC for "all moneys paid" (which was a pretty hefty deposit plus some excursions purchased through Windstar).  Feedback from our TA was that it would take "about a month" for the FCC to be issued.  It's May 8th and nothing yet.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  We are still debating keeping the FCC or taking a refund (and per my understanding, I can't request the refund until I receive the FCC).  Any similar experiences appreciated.

RemPuck

We were booked on a Trans-Atlantic cruise from St. Maarten to Lisbon scheduled to depart in April. we paid just over $5900 for the cruise and  it was cancelled.  In March we were sent a form to complete allowing us to request a refund.  Finally, the refund was posted back to our credit card a few days ago, but only for $4183.90.   (70% of what we paid).  I have asked our Travel Agent to investigate, but has anyone else had this experience?  Any ideas?  Thanks

We were booked on the Star Pride TA March 30. We waited for them to cancel, knowing that they would. We just got our refund- 100% for money paid to Windstar- deposit, fare, and one excursion. I'd rather be on the ship...😥