Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Ladybug18

Premier Inn County Hall OR Waterloo

Recommended Posts

Hello! 
 

We pretty much narrowed down our hotel search in London to either the Premier Inn County Hall OR the Premier Inn Waterloo.
 

I am looking for help deciding. We definitely want Air Conditioning and a room that will comfortably fit 2 adults and an 8 yr old child. I read a few reviews (not recent Summer stays) that PI County Hall didn’t have A/C but on their website it says it does. Maybe they have recently installed it? 
 

The price is the same at both hotels so price isn’t an issue. 
 

Also is the paid breakfast at the Premier Inn worth the cost or is there a place locally we could stop in and grab a quick bit before heading out for a full day of sightseeing? 
 

Thanks 😊 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ladybug18 said:

Also is the paid breakfast at the Premier Inn worth the cost or is there a place locally we could stop in and grab a quick bit before heading out for a full day of sightseeing? 
 

Thanks 😊 

I can't comment on breakfast elsewhere, but when I stayed at PI St. Pancras last summer, in addition to the £10.50 full breakfast, they had a smaller £8.50 breakfast that didn't include the hot foods. I had cereal and fruit and yogurt and juice and that was plenty for me. They didn't advertise it on the website, but I got a refund since I had prepaid the full breakfast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a small M & S on York Road near the corner of Chicheley Street which is only a few minutes walk from both hotels. We were able to pick up pastries and cold juice for breakfast each morning (which we ate at South Bank watching the river). There are also a few cafes in the area but I have not had breakfast at any of them. 

 

I have also stayed at both hotels and both are in great locations and I would happily stay at both again. I slightly prefer the County Hall as twice I have had a view of the London Eye from my room when staying there (but not in a family room) and it is marginally quicker to get to South Bank but stayed at the Waterloo hotel last July and had a very quiet, comfortable and air conditioned room. I have stayed in a family room at County Hall (twice, in winter) with a double and single bed in the room which was comfortable but did look out over the street which was a little noisier (from street noise) than a room overlooking a courtyard.

 

Hope you have a great trip. 😊

 

Edited by PurpleTraveller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,  We stayed at the PI County Hall and loved it.  There are a couple of places on the riverside side of the building, including a McD's.  The location is perfect.  The walk to Waterloo station was short.  

as a matter of fact we just booked a TA that will end in Southampton next year, and are planning on staying there again, with the PI Waterloo being our backup choice, depending on availability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your responses! We decided to book the Premier Inn County Hall for our two night stay prior to our cruise this June. I added the paid breakfast onto our reservation so that we can eat breakfast without wondering where we will eat, this should hopefully save us some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just booked County Hall. If you look at the room descriptions, I think it might be possible that the standard rooms do not have A/C, but the premier plus priced rooms do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stayed at the Waterloo location and loved how easy ITV was to walk the area.  It’s really close to Waterloo station and I loved visiting the shops there.  I chose this location because county hall did not have AC when I booked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton Waterloo.  Worked out great as we took train from Southhampton.  If you exit by the correct door, the hotel is just a few blocks down the road.  Breakfast was included.  Did this in 2017 after TA .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've stayed at County Hall on several occasions when I've visited the capital, although not for a year or so. It's a chain I generally use when travelling and always enjoy the full breakfast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go for the full breakfast, have a light lunch, and find somewhere nice for dinner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/31/2020 at 3:36 PM, Ladybug18 said:

Thank you for your responses! We decided to book the Premier Inn County Hall for our two night stay prior to our cruise this June. I added the paid breakfast onto our reservation so that we can eat breakfast without wondering where we will eat, this should hopefully save us some time.

We stayed at Premier Inn County Hall in 2018 and will be staying there again for our June pre-cruise stay.  We enjoyed their hot breakfast last time and can't wait to eat there again.

Edited by ChattTenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChattTenn said:

We stayed at Premier Inn County Hall in 2018 and will be staying there again for our June pre-cruise stay.  We enjoyed their hot breakfast last time and can't wait to eat there again.

Thank you for positive feedback on the Premier Inn County Hall. When in June is your cruise? We will also be cruising in June and will be staying there prior to our cruise out of Southampton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

Thank you for positive feedback on the Premier Inn County Hall. When in June is your cruise? We will also be cruising in June and will be staying there prior to our cruise out of Southampton.

We will be on Crown Princess 6/13 sailing 14 days to the Land of Midnight Sun (Norway).  What ship will you be on?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That will be a fun cruise!!! We will be on the NCL Star 6/28- 14 day Norway, Iceland, Ireland sailing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ladybug18 said:

That will be a fun cruise!!! We will be on the NCL Star 6/28- 14 day Norway, Iceland, Ireland sailing. 

We checked on your cruise last year but decided to go with Princess (our favorite).  Just hope the virus will calm down by June. 

Have a great cruise and great stay in London.

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChattTenn said:

We checked on your cruise last year but decided to go with Princess (our favorite).  Just hope the virus will calm down by June. 

Have a great cruise and great stay in London.

 

  

I know, I hope the same!! Thank you, you do the same...have a great cruise and a wonderful stay in London! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I hope you can help me. We will be in London 2 nights in Sept before we head to Southampton for a cruise. Since we will be going to SH on a Sunday, I understand the train is not an option. We will be on the National Express. These are the hotels I'm considering. Would like your opinion on ease of getting the HOHO bus and getting the coach to SH

Luna Simone - Victoria Station

Double Tree - Victoria Station

ibis Blackfriars -Waterloo

Premier Inn Southwalk - Waterloo

Thanks in advance for your insight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DesertGirl28 said:

Hi, I hope you can help me. We will be in London 2 nights in Sept before we head to Southampton for a cruise. Since we will be going to SH on a Sunday, I understand the train is not an option. We will be on the National Express. These are the hotels I'm considering. Would like your opinion on ease of getting the HOHO bus and getting the coach to SH

Luna Simone - Victoria Station

Double Tree - Victoria Station

ibis Blackfriars -Waterloo

Premier Inn Southwalk - Waterloo

Thanks in advance for your insight

 

Other than any changes caused by  the current little Coronavirus inconvenience........

 

Where did you hear the nonsense of "no trains London to Southampton on a sunday"?  :classic_rolleyes:

There are fewer trains in the UK on sundays, but there are still two direct services per hour from London Waterloo. No direct train services London Victoria to Southampton on sundays, but half-hourly service involving one change of train.

So if you lodge handy to Waterloo, take the train from Waterloo train station. And if you lodge handy to Victoria take the Nat Express bus from Victoria Coach Station.

 

Walk-up train fare is about £40, but cheap Advance tickets (normally available from about 8 weeks out) can be as cheap as £15. At the moment I'm not seeing any cheap train Advance tickets for any dates - this is almost-certainly due to the current very limited services caused by lock-down / social distancing, staff self-isolations, etc. Don't buy now, because there'll be no cheap tickets for your date and because of the un-predicatabilities. I suggest that you check the website and book from about 6 weeks out. Bear in mind that Advance tickets are normally non-cancellable (current short-term exceptions won't apply then).

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

 

Nat Express bus tickets are cheap (£5 to £10).

Because of the limited frequency / capacity you should pre-book, but no need to do so more than a week or two out.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

 

Circumstances are very fluid and un-predictable - and that includes whether flights or cruises will have resumed by then, and whether you'll even be permitted to travel.

Planning a vacation is often part of the fun, and its good to be positive. But sadly, for at least a month or two or more I don't think you should commit un-recoverable money to your vacation

 

Keep safe, and take the advice on Neil Diamond's re-vamp of Sweet Caroline 

 

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the ‘no trains on Sunday’ thing comes from a misunderstanding arising from the fact that there are no direct services from Gatwick Airport on a Sunday, which is sometimes mentioned on this board?

 

As JB says, certainly not true from central London. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Maybe the ‘no trains on Sunday’ thing comes from a misunderstanding arising from the fact that there are no direct services from Gatwick Airport on a Sunday, which is sometimes mentioned on this board?

 

As JB says, certainly not true from central London. 

Thanks, I guess I've been reading too many posts in my initial planning. Glad you and JB set me straight. Since we have plenty of time to get to SH I think the train is more scenic. Now that this straightened out, which of the 4 hotels would be best for the HOHO bus? 

ibis Blackfriars -Waterloo

Premier Inn Southwalk - Waterloo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, DesertGirl28 said:

Thanks, I guess I've been reading too many posts in my initial planning. Glad you and JB set me straight. Since we have plenty of time to get to SH I think the train is more scenic. Now that this straightened out, which of the 4 hotels would be best for the HOHO bus? 

ibis Blackfriars -Waterloo

Premier Inn Southwalk - Waterloo

 

Ibis Blackfriars is 10 min walk to ho-ho.

Premier Inn Southwark (note spelling) is 5 mins further.

I don't know either of those two, but we've happily stayed at a number of Premier Inns, and the  chain gets good reviews.

 

Not wishing to put a damper on your plans, but because the UK (or USA) may not be over the current issue by September I'd advise that you book cancelable. (if things are hunkey-dorey by then, mebbe cancel and book non-cancelable closer to the day)  

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Bull said:

Premier Inn Southwark (note spelling) is 5 mins further


Not clear exactly which hotel is meant here. There are at least three Premier Inns in Southwark:

- Southwark Tate Modern in Great Suffolk Street

- Southwark Bankside (also referred to as Borough Market)  in Park Street

- Southwark Borough High Street in, er, Borough High Street

 

There’s a new one, Southwark (Southwark Station) in The Cut, which I’m not sure opened before everything closed. 
 

What there isn’t is one called Southwark - Waterloo, although the one in The Cut would be closest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 8:11 PM, John Bull said:

 

Ibis Blackfriars is 10 min walk to ho-ho.

Premier Inn Southwark (note spelling) is 5 mins further.

I don't know either of those two, but we've happily stayed at a number of Premier Inns, and the  chain gets good reviews.

 

Not wishing to put a damper on your plans, but because the UK (or USA) may not be over the current issue by September I'd advise that you book cancelable. (if things are hunkey-dorey by then, mebbe cancel and book non-cancelable closer to the day)  

 

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks JB for your input. I booked the ibis. You are right that this trip might not happen so everything has no cancel charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...