Coronavirus

emmas gran

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So this is a possible plan to get them back to the US.  Now the question arises, do they now enter the US 14-day quarantine at military bases in California?  [I saw the picture of Princess balconies with difference passengers standing out a few feet from each other – if one of them is contagious, could the others be infected?]

Source can not be substantiated- appears fake news. 

3097E428-691C-4DDF-BAFE-2FBE949FFF57.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 1

"HONG KONG – All of the 1,800-plus crew members of a quarantined cruise ship, World Dream, docked at Kai Tak Cruise Terminal tested negative to the novel coronavirus ...

... all members on board the cruise ship, including the 1,800 passengers, could leave the ship."

Source: https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202002/09/WS5e3ff96ca31012821727615f.html

"the number of confirmed cases reported daily in provinces other than Hubei — the region in central China were the virus is believed to have originated — has dropped from 890 on Feb. 3 to 509 on Feb. 8 — a decrease of nearly 43 percent"

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/new-coronavirus-updates-number-confirmed-cases-drops-disease-s-epicenter-n1133141

as per BBC.com News :

” Four adults and a child were diagnosed with the virus after coming into contact with a British national who recently returned from Singapore.

The man returned to the UK on 28 January before being diagnosed with the virus himself on Thursday. “

1 hour ago, SirWolf said:

as per BBC.com News :

” Four adults and a child were diagnosed with the virus after coming into contact with a British national who recently returned from Singapore.

The man returned to the UK on 28 January before being diagnosed with the virus himself on Thursday. “

Authorities were said to be looking for people in the UK the man came into contact with but not his family!

136 cases on the Diamond Princess now:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/10/national/japan-test-all-passengers-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-coronavirus/#.XkFN0yN7lzA

The article also says that only 336 passengers have actually been tested.  How many more have it that haven't been tested yet?

Edited by CruisinCrow

27 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

136 cases on the Diamond Princess now:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/10/national/japan-test-all-passengers-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-coronavirus/#.XkFN0yN7lzA

The article also says that only 336 passengers have actually been tested.  How many more have it that haven't been tested yet?

I've been following the Diamond Princess pretty closely. Originally only 273 were tested because they had direct contact with patient 0. On day 2 of quarantine, all passengers were given a thermometer and asked to take their temperature every 4 hour. If temperature rises, they are to call Dr. Isuspect that they are only testing those patients who are showing signs. It is my understanding that the test kits aren't easily available and they also take 48-72 hours for results. 

PLUS, to test passengers before showings signs will likely yield negative results. Cases have been negative on day 1, 2, 3, 4, .....9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and then BAM, test positive on day 14.

• Thanks 1

That makes sense, BB.  The probably have a limited number of test kits and labs to run the tests so they can't back up a lab with thousands of tests on people with no symptoms.  But the fact that the number of infected passengers has doubled overtime is really shocking.  When is it going to end for these poor people?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sidari said:

That is not interesting, it's terrifying! I try not to buy into conspiracy theories, but we all know that China controls it's media and is far from truthful. How reliable of a source is dailymail uk? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That is not interesting, it's terrifying! I try not to buy into conspiracy theories, but we all know that China controls it's media and is far from truthful. How reliable of a source is dailymail uk? 

About as reliable as our National Inquirer.  IIRC, the DM sort of specializes in conspiracy theory.

• Like 2

There is an situation developing in the Caribbean as well. The Princess cruise ship "Caribbean Princess" is headed back to Fort Lauderdale. Skipping ports of Aruba, Bonaire, (and two more I believe). Should have returned on Sunday. Will arrive in FLL tomorrow. Last I read, there were 140 cases of Noro on-board. 

49 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It is my understanding that the test kits aren't easily available and they also take 48-72 hours for results. 

The CDC test kits are a set of reagents and controls for specific analyzer. Testing can only be done in a certified lab. As per today there are no field-test-kits available.

The tests take +-4hr but shipping the specimen

to the lab and backup of samples may delay

testing.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Make that 190 cases of Noro on the Caribbean Princess (it was 140 when I went to bed last night)

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/cruise-ship-outbreak-190-sickened-onboard-princess-cruises-caribbean-princess-75534/

In fairness, I don't think noro compares with the risks of getting Corona.   I mean, mortality rates for noro are insignificant.  (In the US, 21 million cases and 800 deaths.)  https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/trends-outbreaks/burden-US.html

We've had the unfortunate experience of being on a ship that had a small number of passengers with noro - about 20 IIRC.  We never felt frightened.  In fact, we were quite impressed with how the crew handled cleaning and other measures to stop further infection.  Salt shakers disappeared,  replaced by packages. Pens for games disappeared,  replaced by tiny pencils that staff asked you to throw away.  Crew served at the buffet (which is something I wish they all did).  The clean9ng of everything that could be touched (including the walls) was constant.

Edited by jkgourmet

Just now, jkgourmet said:

In fairness, I don't think noro compares with the risks of getting Corona.   I mean, mortality rates for noro are insignificant.  (In the US, 21 million cases and 800 deaths.)  https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/trends-outbreaks/burden-US.html

I do know that and think I understand where you are suggesting. 

What I'm wondering, is how this will tie into the CoV caution. In other words, how do they test 190 passengers to get conclusive evidence it is NOT CoV? Are we entering another Anthem situation?

This is all speculation of course, but they are bringing Caribbean Princess back 5 days early. That is 5 non-revenue generating days before the next scheduled departure on Sunday 2/16. This is certainly in an over-abundance of caution by Princess, don't you think? I know of only a few noro quarantine situations.

Correlation, not causation. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do know that and think I understand where you are suggesting. 

What I'm wondering, is how this will tie into the CoV caution. In other words, how do they test 190 passengers to get conclusive evidence it is NOT CoV? Are we entering another Anthem situation?

This is all speculation of course, but they are bringing Caribbean Princess back 5 days early. That is 5 non-revenue generating days before the next scheduled departure on Sunday 2/16. This is certainly in an over-abundance of caution by Princess, don't you think? I know of only a few noro quarantine situations.

Correlation, not causation. 

Noro is a completely different beast than this.

Comes on strong, and you recover just as fast.  I had the unfortunate experience of working in a location where it broke out, and got it myself.  Really sucked to have, but after exploding out of both ends for about 12 hours, it had run its course and it was gone.

From what I understand, coronavirus sets in like the flu and takes a while to recover from.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Beardfaceyes, of course. As mentioned, I"m curious about correlation not causation. 

What I was saying is that I think the two are so different that you can confidently say one is not the other.  Outside of purposely trying to stoke fears in the public, no news agency should be trying to connect the two.  Though, as we all have seen (this thread is a great example) stoking fear is what the media does best.

• Like 3

BB ... With regard to the DM I guess it depends on political affiliation ! they like the rest of the media will get their info from the same outlets, last week a similar thing was mentioned elsewhere regarding the burning of bodies without numbers being added to the total number of deaths. If the story is in fact true then the large increase in numbers of deaths over the last day or so would give rise to the story being true.