Coronavirus

emmas gran

40 minutes ago, Beardface said:

What I was saying is that I think the two are so different that you can confidently say one is not the other.  Outside of purposely trying to stoke fears in the public, no news agency should be trying to connect the two.  Though, as we all have seen (this thread is a great example) stoking fear is what the media does best.

I think that most people in this thread are having discussions about how CoV is effecting the cruise industry. I would hope that most walk away from this thread without downright fear. We are all responsible to read critically and consider courses  as we see fit. I prefer triangulated data when possible.

I also think that, while obviously Noro is entirely different, Princess cruises is currently handling two sick ships: Caribbean Princess (in all likelihood this is Noro and not CoV) and Diamond Princess (conclusive testing yields CoV).  Both ships are coorelated in the broad sense that they are both dealing with sick ships :(.

With that said, the Anthem waited for conclusive evidence that the suspected passengers removed on Friday 2/7 did not have CoV. Will Caribbean Princess do the same? Perhaps most don't care, but I find the topic interesting to discuss. 

BB ... Not just Princess, Saga cruises ship, Saga Dream was refused entry to Valetta Malta on Saturday due to 89 cases of Norovirus, the ship is due back in Southampton on Wednesday morning.

No idea if those affected will also be checked for the Coronavirus.

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That is not interesting, it's terrifying! I try not to buy into conspiracy theories, but we all know that China controls it's media and is far from truthful. How reliable of a source is dailymail uk? 

Daily Mail is a source of Fake news!

• Like 1

We are still waiting for news of our HK to Japan in April, would like to get it cancelled or confirmed as want to make alternate plans as is over Easter.Air China who we are travelling with are still selling the flights we are booked on, and MSC is still selling the cruise on their website.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:18 AM, Sherry H said:

Yes, Steve and I would be interested in the tours you mention.

We were also on the TA in Oct on the Koningsdam and also booked this cruise while on board.

Sherry

Sherry, right now we are concerned about the coronavirus and are awaiting a doctor's appointment to proceed.

3 hours ago, sidari said:

BB ... Not just Princess, Saga cruises ship, Saga Dream was refused entry to Valetta Malta on Saturday due to 89 cases of Norovirus, the ship is due back in Southampton on Wednesday morning.

No idea if those affected will also be checked for the Coronavirus.

oh great, one of our stops next month. Do cruise ports normally refuse entry because of NORO?? I thought its a pretty common bug.

6 hours ago, Beardface said:

What I was saying is that I think the two are so different that you can confidently say one is not the other.  Outside of purposely trying to stoke fears in the public, no news agency should be trying to connect the two.  Though, as we all have seen (this thread is a great example) stoking fear is what the media does best.

And yet stoking fear and spreading rumors were precisely the lines Chinese police used to silence the now deceased Wuhan doctor who tried to warn others about the coronavirus outback back in Dec, 2019. 

41 minutes ago, sidari said:

Does that include those off the ship ?

No, it doesn't.  The ship patients are listed separately under "Other".

Edited to add:  Huh, they must have updated the map again.  Now Japan is back down to 26 again.  I wish I would have done a screen capture earlier!

Edited by CruisinCrow

3 hours ago, Esv104 said:

Did they actually do Thermal scans on everybody in Miami getting on the ships this past weekend? 

Yes, I boarded the Seaside this past Saturday and we had a thermal scan. You would never know the coronavirus is a concern. Inconsistent handwashing reminders, the solution is sometimes empty, and any worker at the front entrance let's people by without cleaning. BTW, the captain should not be shaking hands with passengers. 

That said, this group of passengers seems quite healthy. We received a letter about the virus though. No one here seems worried with no modification to the routine. Buffet self serve etc. 

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if already posted.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/coronavirus-causes-four-countries-to-reject-cruise-ship-stranded-at-sea

By David Aaro | Fox News

3 Hours Ago

Cruise ship stranded at sea amid coronavirus fears, denied help by 4 countries

he MS Westerdam cruise ship has been stuck at sea for nearly two weeks and will remain without a port after Thailand became the latest nation to block its entry amid possible fears of the coronavirus on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the Holland America cruise line previously told Fox News the ship planned to dock at Laem Chabang on Feb. 13, but now it appears that won't be happening. Thailand's Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul announced on Facebook Tuesday that he refused permission to dock.

Some of the MS Westerdam's roughly 2,257 passengers have pleaded online about their situation to no avail. The ship has been denied entry in Thailand, Guam, the Philippines, and Japan since the ship left Hong Kong on Feb. 1

Definitely stressful.we have been at sea 14 days as of this Friday. We have no passengers sick in any way. Westerdam is a ship of primarily US, Australian, British cruisers with no contact with mainland China other than to land in Hong Kong and go straight to our ship. #westerdam," one user wrote.

Steve Muth, from Onsted Mich., told AZ Central they had been just floating around the ocean.

"We've been denied, essentially, every port, every country since leaving Hong Kong," he said.

The news comes as Carnival's Diamond Princess has seen over 130 of its 3,700 passengers infected with the virus -- which has killed over 1,000 people and infected over 40,000 globally. They remain in quarantine in the port of Yokohama.

Fox News reported that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe suspected some of the passengers of the MS Westerdam have been infected, a reason for their denial at the port of Yokohama.

Holland America said there is no reason to believe there are any cases of coronavirus on the vessel, which they also confirmed is not under quarantine.

The cruise line said that all passengers will receive a 100 percent refund for the trip and a 100 credit to their next cruise. Passengers have been given complimentary phone and internet access.

8 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

That is horrible!!  What are they doing for food and fuel? 

At least in the case of Thailand, the country is proving help with food and water.  I'd assume the same is true of the others who have refused them.  

I've no idea what they're doing for fuel.

1 hour ago, CruisinCrow said:

That is horrible!!  What are they doing for food and fuel? 

No issues with food or fuel for any of the ships involved as countries are more than willing to sell fuel and food to the ships. They are allowed to dock, refuel, re-food, just no one can debark. 🙂

BTW: Westerdam (and several others that are floating without a debarkation port) is not in quarantine so those passengers are free to use the ship as normal. Just a whole bunch of sea days. The only ship in quarantine is Diamond Princess and last I heard the numbers of those who have been confirmed with coronavirus is over 200 😞

Edited by BermudaBound2014

16 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

No issues with food or fuel for any of the ships involved as countries are more than willing to sell fuel and food to the ships. They are allowed to dock, refuel, re-food, just no one can debark. 🙂

BTW: Westerdam (and several others that are floating without a debarkation port) is not in quarantine so those passengers are free to use the ship as normal. Just a whole bunch of sea days. The only ship in quarantine is Diamond Princess and last I heard the numbers of those who have been confirmed with coronavirus is over 200 😞

Where did you see this. Source please. Thanks

18 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

How many (and which ships) are stuck at sea still?

@Cruisincrow @Bobal

I haven't had time to catch up on today's events, but Westerdam plus 6 ships were at sea over the weekend. I believe Seabourn had two but don't quote me. Also, World Cruises, etc... I think that World Dream (that is a ship) was given the go to debark yesterday, but I don't remember where, I'm behind in today's news especially because things happen in the Asian time zone. Not positive on the 200 number, like I said, haven't had time yet today. 

How about you two put those thumbs to work and update us here please, I won't be able to catch up until late tonight 🙂

Edited by BermudaBound2014