Coronavirus

emmas gran

I think there is a lot we have to learn about how coronavirus is transmitted - I suspect many on the Diamond Princess caught the virus after the quarantine started, and there seems to be a large number of trained doctors and nurses (in various countries) getting infected.

Here is a study showing the emergence of new norovirus variants on cruise ships in Spring is a strong prediction of Norovirus epidemics the next winter:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2600213/

For the worriers - there is still nothing I can see that would should stop anyone going on a Caribbean or European cruise.  In Asia, I would avoid China, but in April am still planning to visit Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand (though not a cruise).

Next time someone complained here about worst cruise ever and terrible MSC customer services I will give them a link to this post and to post how "good" Princess handling emergency situation. Crew members never been tested and never been quarantined. How Princess planning to quarantine them after all passengers out of this death cruise?  

22 hours ago, Southwick28 said:

Do they check the passport as proof that you have not been in the affected areas ?

No passport checks specifically for that but they do check them at check in. I had to hand the guy my declaration as he didn't seem to want it

2 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Please let us know when you have definite news.

I was just checking in on his FB to see how they were holding up and saw that he seems strongly under the impression that it was a miscommunication, that they are being taken to a hostel, not hospital.

• Thanks 1

I wish david and sally would do a broadcast, if even for a minute or two. None of this sits well with me. His last fb post is just odd. No more videos, but they have been on the ship? Doesn’t follow the pattern. 

More passengers from diamond princess  testing positive once on USA soil. Passengers from westerdam being tracked globally. The video from the infectious diseases doctor about the quarantine. It reads like a bad novel. 

9 hours ago, aprilF said:

I was just checking in on his FB to see how they were holding up and saw that he seems strongly under the impression that it was a miscommunication, that they are being taken to a hostel, not hospital.

8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I wish david and sally would do a broadcast, if even for a minute or two. None of this sits well with me. His last fb post is just odd. No more videos, but they have been on the ship? Doesn’t follow the pattern. 

More passengers from diamond princess  testing positive once on USA soil. Passengers from westerdam being tracked globally. The video from the infectious diseases doctor about the quarantine. It reads like a bad novel. 

They have left a new video and the latest is they do indeed have the virus, they say they are being taken to the hostel until a bed is available at the hospital and it was a bit of language confusion yesterday.

His son has just been on the BBC and confirmed they have spoken to an english speaking doctor who has now confirmed everything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

They have left a new video and the latest is they do indeed have the virus, they say they are being taken to the hostel until a bed is available at the hospital and it was a bit of language confusion yesterday.

His son has just been on the BBC and confirmed they have spoken to an english speaking doctor who has now confirmed everything.

I had hoped it was a misunderstanding and that they were negative.  Hopefully it will be a light cases, as most are.

• Like 2

Has there been any other instances of testing large groups of people that were likely exposed and are asymptomatic? How many of the people on the ship that tested positive actually have symptoms? It may be that this virus is mild in many/most people and these cases are usually not identified as the people are not tested. If this is true, the plus side would be that the mortality rate is much lower than the current numbers suggest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, muskrat191 said:

the plus side would be that the mortality rate is much lower than the current numbers suggest.

This is probably true regardless.  For a while they've only been testing those who were symptomatic or hospitalized.  There's probably a decent chunk of the population who kept it all under control through medication, or just had a mild reaction to it and went untested because nobody saw a point to do so.

Edited by Beardface

1 hour ago, muskrat191 said:

It may be that this virus is mild in many/most people and these cases are usually not identified as the people are not tested. 

There is no such thing like a “mild” virus, if somebody is infected the virus is in his body. Some people have little or no symptoms because they are healthy and their immune system deals with the virus by producing antibodies. The immune system of some people is weak because of underline conditions, the virus can cause sometimes deadly complications. 

57 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

There is no such thing like a “mild” virus, if somebody is infected the virus is in his body. Some people have little or no symptoms because they are healthy and their immune system deals with the virus by producing antibodies. The immune system of some people is weak because of underline conditions, the virus can cause sometimes deadly complications. 

Sorry I didn't word it perfectly -- I meant the symptoms from the virus are mild in many/most people. 

3 hours ago, sidari said:

GB ... The crew have to remain onboard for a further 14 days Quarantine, the ship will then be cleaned and then taken into drydock. The ship is due to sail again at the end of April.

ship quarantine for crew? how? who is gonna operate the ship? who i gonna clean after? I wonder how many will dare to cruise in April on this ship? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

ship quarantine for crew? how? who is gonna operate the ship? who i gonna clean after? I wonder how many will dare to cruise in April on this ship? 

I also wonder who the brave folks are that are willing to be the next set of passengers.  It is not me.

5 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

This post doesn't make sense unless I"m missing something, Princess has spelled it all out. 

February 19-March 4th: Existing crew does a 14 day quarantine (dates are approximate, it may be March 3 or March 5). At that time, the entire existing crew on the Diamond Princess will return home to receive 2 months paid vacation.

March 4-April 29: For a  full 8 weeks, the diamond princess will be "cleaned" during a soft drydock.

April 29th is the next scheduled Diamond PRincess cruise, everything in between has been cancelled. I suspect some people will be hesitant to be the first to sail after the deep cleaning, but I also suspect there will be some AMAZING prices coming out for those who are willing to take a chance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

. I suspect some people will be hesitant to be the first to sail after the deep cleaning, but I also suspect there will be some AMAZING prices coming out for those who are willing to take a chance.

Thanks for the additional information but my anxiety level supersedes any price cut for the cruise.

i chose MSC due to “value” and I’m already rethinking that decision.

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

February 19-March 4th: Existing crew does a 14 day quarantine (dates are approximate, it may be March 3 or March 5). At that time, the entire existing crew on the Diamond Princess will return home to receive 2 months paid vacation.

how crew gonna be on quarantine? and who is gonna operate the ship for 14 days ? feed them, cleaning etc . As we know this ship is not a proper place to be on quarantine . They send them home? On regular flights? Great!  what does not make sense for you exactly?