Coronavirus

emmas gran

1 minute ago, CruisinCrow said:

You must be really young. 🙂  All of those except for HIV are fairly recent.
SARS - 2003
Swine Flu - 2009

MERS - 2012

Ebola - 2014

I know what you are saying though.  Swine flu is the only one of these that I remember affecting cruise travel and that was because it was in Mexico.  All the cruise lines diverted their Mexican itineraries to the Bahamas.  It was great business for the Bahamas but hit tourism in Mexico very hard.  

I don't remember ever hearing about a ship being turned away from a port or being quarantined for a month.  This is unprecedented.

HAHAHA, you're right. I'm not THAT young.  I should remember others, but I don't because I don't believe they effected the travel industry like NCoV is.  Like you, the only one I remember effecting travel is Swine Flu and that is because we had a trip to Playa Del Carmen booked.  We went anyway and were fine btw :). 

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

HAHAHA, you're right. I'm not THAT young.  I should remember others, but I don't because I don't believe they effected the travel industry like NCoV is.  Like you, the only one I remember effecting travel is Swine Flu and that is because we had a trip to Playa Del Carmen booked.  We went anyway and were fine btw :). 

We got an amazing deal on a trip to the Riviera Maya because of swine flu. 🙂  I might not have gone if I thought we could get quarantined for a month.

I think the difference is that those other viruses (except HIV) were contained in a few countries.  COVID-19 seems to have gone global pretty fast.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

BBC has just announced a British man has died in hospital in Japan, I hope to God it’s not David Abel

The report I just read says there are only 4 brits left, David and Sally being two of the four but are still being treated, therefore apparently OK.

• Like 1

Statement On MSC Meraviglia's West Caribbean Cruise This Week

2/28/2020

UPDATE: February 28, 2020 - 8:25am EST

Geneva, Switzerland, February 28, 2020 - MSC Cruises has said its ship MSC Meraviglia has been given ‘a clean bill of health’ by Mexican health officials following medical checks on a crew member and a young female guest who both had common seasonal flu after the vessel arrived in Cozumel, Mexico.

Pierfrancesco Vago, Executive Chairman, MSC Cruises, said: ”The Mexican authorities followed the correct maritime protocols whereby a ship in advance provides medical records of any passenger or crew member who is or has been unwell to the next port she visits.” 
Health experts boarded the ship to check the medical condition of one crew member and one young female guest who had seasonal flu. In addition to the checks that are customarily run to give a ship a clean bill of health, out of an abundance of caution they conducted overnight additional tests on both of them.

The results were tested at a Mexican Ministry of Public Health laboratory in the city of Chetumal and determined that the condition of both the crew member and guest was in no way whatsoever associated with the COVID-19 coronavirus. The ship was given a clean bill of health.

MSC Meraviglia previously had been unable to make scheduled calls to both Ocho Rios, Jamaica and George Town, Grand Cayman. Guests couldn’t disembark at either island because local authorities had decided to ignore the same established health protocols that today saw the ship receive a clean bill of health.

Mr Vago added, ”We would like to thank the Mexican authorities for their preventative health professionalism, which is the only way to demonstrate certainty to populations ashore, as well as to guests and crew on board.  

”The disappointing decisions by Jamaica and Grand Cayman to bar our ship to allow our passengers to disembark and enjoy their islands was born out of fear, not best medical practice. This led to unnecessary and unjustifiable anxiety, not only for our passengers and crew on board, but right across the Caribbean’s tourism sector, and possibly even further beyond.”

Guests on board MSC Meraviglia will be able to spend a full day today (Friday, February 28) ashore in Cozumel. The ship will depart later tonight to return to her homeport of Miami, Florida on Sunday,  March 1.  

MSC Cruises has told all of its 4,580 guests on board that they will receive a 100% refund of their cruise fare due to the disruptive nature of their vacation.   

UPDATE: February 27, 2020 - 2:50pm EST

Mexican health authorities earlier today boarded MSC Meraviglia. Out of an abundance of caution, they administered additional testing on the crew member – now free of symptoms – and a young female guest who has since developed mild symptoms also of seasonal flu. Results from the two tests are expected to take anywhere from a few to 12 hours. The ship will be alongside in Cozumel while waiting for the results. Once she gets clearance to disembark, she will stay in Cozumel through to the end of the day tomorrow Friday, February 28 to allow guests to enjoy the city and its attractions. Guests on board have already been informed.

UPDATE: February 27, 2020 - 8:30am EST

MSC Meraviglia has berthed at Cozumel, Mexico and is currently waiting for local health officials to board the ship to conduct customary checks provided for by maritime protocols.    

UPDATE: February 26, 2020 - 11:00pm EST

As anticipated, MSC Meraviglia arrived off the West Coast of Cozumel on 26 February around 9:30 PM ET (3:30 AM CET). Due to unfavorable weather conditions, including 35-40 knot winds and stormy conditions, MSC Meraviglia is currently awaiting near pilot station for winds to decrease and the ship to be able to safely board pilot and enter port. The maximum wind speed permitted by the port of Cozumel for berthing is 25 knot winds. 

Based on current weather forecast, weather conditions are expected to improve by tomorrow morning at around 8 AM ET (2 PM CET). As soon as this happens, the ship has already agreed with the local port authorities to board the pilot and head into port. 

As previously announced, over the course of the day MSC Cruises has received formal and final authorization from the local health authorities in the State of Quintana Roo, Mexico to go to Cozumel. 

UPDATE: February 26, 2020 - 5:00pm EST

“MSC Cruises is pleased to confirm that it has just received formal and final authorization from the local health authorities in the State of Quintana Roo, Mexico to get to Cozumel. The ship is due to arrive there later this evening, local time.” 

MEDIA STATEMENT – February 26, 2020

MSC Cruises is extremely disappointed that Jamaican authorities yesterday delayed a decision for many hours to give our ship the necessary clearance to disembark guests, despite us having provided detailed medical records to the local health and national authorities ahead of its arrival as per normal protocol.

Similarly, the decision taken overnight by the Grand Cayman authorities to refuse disembarkation at Georgetown was made without even reviewing the ship’s medical records, which show one single case of common seasonal flu (type A influenza) affecting one crew member with a travel history clearly showing no passages through territories either affected by COVID-19 (Coronavirus) or subject to any international health restrictions. In both instances, the ship was effectively turned away simply based on fears.

MSC Meraviglia is currently at sea on her way to Cozumel, Mexico, her next scheduled port of call. Ship’s command and Company’s management are in contact with local health authorities to ensure that their decision will be based on a factual review of the ship’s medical records, as well as consideration for the pre-embarkation screening and on board medical and deep sanitation protocols that are in place across MSC Cruises’ entire fleet.

All MSC Meraviglia’s guests and crew have been screened individually upon embarkation, both in terms of their travel history as well as their health. MSC Cruises denies embarkation to anyone – crew and guest alike – who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau, as well as to people who during the past 14 days have travelled to, from or through any of the municipalities that are subject to quarantine in central northern Italy. In addition to this, all MSC Cruises ships also conduct individual pre-boarding screening by thermal cameras to identify guests or crew members with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing. This will also result in denied embarkation.

The crewmember who was diagnosed with common seasonal flu is in a stable condition, receiving anti-viral treatment and medication, and is now free of fever and nearly recovered. Out of precaution he was isolated from other crew members and guests from the moment that he showed symptoms and will remain so until he is fully recovered. No other cases of type A influenza have been reported on board MSC Meraviglia.

Moreover, no cases of COVID-19 virus (Coronavirus) have been reported on board MSC Meraviglia or any other ship in MSC Cruises’ fleet.

MSC Cruises apologizes for any inconvenience caused and the disappointment to its guests in connection with the missed calls in Ocho Rios and Georgetown this week.

MSC Cruises’ statement : 25/2/2020, 10 pm CET

As is standard practice when a vessel approaches each port of call during a cruise, the ship’s command has to report any illness on board to the relevant local health authorities. Upon arrival this morning MSC Meraviglia reported one single case of common seasonal flu (type A influenza) affecting a crew member from the Philippines.

The crew member had embarked at the beginning of the cruise in Miami, after passing the mandatory health screening that all our guests and crew members receive before joining the cruise, a precautionary measure that we have implemented fleetwide.

The local port health authority in Ocho Rios today requested further guidance from the National Ministry of Health in Jamaica’s capital of Kingston. After waiting in port for nearly four hours for formal clearance, ship’s command decided to leave Ocho Rios for the next port of call as the long wait had compromised the passengers’ proposed time at the destination.

All MSC Meraviglia’s guests and crew have been screened individually upon embarkation, both in terms of their travel history as well as their health. MSC Cruises denies embarkation to anyone – crew and guest alike – who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau, as well as to people who during the past 14 days have travelled to, from or through any of the municipalities that are subject to quarantine in central northern Italy. In addition to this, all MSC Cruises ships also conduct individual pre-boarding screening by thermal cameras to identify guests or crew members with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing. This will also result in denied embarkation.

The crew member had travelled to Miami from Manila, via direct connection in Istanbul. He developed symptoms of common flu and tested positive to type A influenza after he visited the ship’s 24/7 Medical Centre while already on board. He has no other symptoms.  

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

BBC has just announced a British man has died in hospital in Japan, I hope to God it’s not David Abel

It isn't him. Spare a thought for the family of the person who has died. Just because he didn't put himself out there ad nauseam it doesn't mean he matters less  😞

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Bobal said:

It isn't him. Spare a thought for the family of the person who has died. Just because he didn't put himself out there ad nauseam it doesn't mean he matters less  😞

I have sympathy with the families why take such an attitude , finished with this topic now

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

UAE are now  Banning anyone who has come from Singapore or Japan from embarking in UAE and Bahrain has banned cruise ships completely.

seems harsh on Singapore when they have few active cases and Italy have 500 or so!!

Could you please tell us the source of this information? I could not find any report on this.

It's in letters sent out by MSC , we had one, some of contents below;

With reference to MSC Bellissima as from first departures on 29th February 2020 and in respect of the instructions received from UAE, Bahrain and Oman Authorities of Immigration and Health, kindly note the following travel restrictions for Coronavirus:

·         UAE and Oman ports :  it will be not allowed to embark in any UAE / Oman ports  to guests from all nationalities who have travelled to, from or through mainland China, Singapore, South Korea , Japan and Iran in the past 30 days.

·         Bahrain: all calls have been suspended for all cruise vessels from 25th February until 10th March 2020. The suspension is subject to further extension depending in the overall situation.

OK I decided to post this and ignore certain other posters

A UK friend is on Sun Princess for 46 days round trip from Fremantle Aus , today they are in Reunion Island and I recd a WhatsApp she has not gone ashore but the Captain has just announced that locals are at the port gates causing a disturbance and throwing stones at passengers trying to stop them leaving the port. They are trying to recall tour groups but independent travellers may not know of the situation . She doesn’t know if they will call at Mauritius or head back to Australia slowly, it isn’t a good situation for anyone.

Our friend is a retired health worker and has travelled a lot on her own but is quite frightened by this turn off events

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have opened a new thread to continue discussion of how this virus is affecting MSC and cruising and left the ones for folks already booked on the board. Any new threads re cruises this spring and summer will be merged into those threads so we don't have multiple threads basically saying the same thing!

Edited by Host Carolyn