Coronavirus

emmas gran

47 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

You purchased insurance that would cover you if you had a health related cancellation, right?  

Isn't the point that you don't have to cancel because of medical reason but get refused boarding because you coughed at the wrong time without being sick in the sense of unable to travel in the insurance policy sense?

Apart from all the practical questions. Will the personal in the terminal give you anything in writing? Will that have a quality that the insurance accepts? If you are not sick and test show you don't have flu or corona virus, how to get a doctor to give you the proper documentation needed for the claim later? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

Isn't the point that you don't have to cancel because of medical reason but get refused boarding because you coughed at the wrong time without being sick in the sense of unable to travel in the insurance policy sense?

Apart from all the practical questions. Will the personal in the terminal give you anything in writing? Will that have a quality that the insurance accepts? If you are not sick and test show you don't have flu or corona virus, how to get a doctor to give you the proper documentation needed for the claim later? 

I am VERY concered about the same. Traveling with children i fear one gets a cold or ear infection on the international flight over to italy that results in a fever or cough. Plus mine are always coughing or sneezing from allergies and stuff (into their arm! I taugh them manners!) Would we be denied boarding!? I am very concerned as we travel in a few weeks. I am definately going to make everyone a doctors appointment the morning of or day before we travel and have the dr write notes for each of us clearing us to travel and of any illnesses JUST incase.

Edited by floridian1
  • Like 1

At the end of the day regardless of what your doctor might say the cruise line have the right to refuse to allow someone to cruise, if they are using handheld temperature monitoring there should not be an issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Many sailings we have done in the last 15 yrs has had a health questionaire...yes people can lie--and if they fall ill--that lie is a Federal offense in the US

there is also precedent related to public health risks...

Suspicion is not a lie unless you can prove it is.

We can guess that there will be some who never do because "they never get sick on cruise ships."  Famous last words.  I just read that NCL has enacted this policy fleet wide. I'm upping my usual rigorous efforts to stay healthy on our cruise leaving next weekend.

One thing of the many actions I hope we see is someone near the beverage stations. Lots of people on our last MSC cruise in November filled empty water bottles at the stations. 

BTW-  I imagine many crew members whose contract is ending will be volunteering to stay on. Who would want to go back to some of the home countries now?  I heard that MSC is allowing that because their scheduled workers from China aren't allowed on because of restrictions. Supposedly, the notice was on the MSC FB site. 

Edited by Markanddonna

22 hours ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

Good questions.  Might be worth an email to our travel insurance company.  (Note I said email; anything some agent tells me on the phone is potentially incorrect and legally useless.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverzeb said:

This could be a great idea if guests are not using the sanitisers

A certain portion of the guests NEVER use sanitizers.   In fact, now that the washing stations are replacing the Purell washy-washy crew,  I'm guessing less than half wash up as they enter the buffet.  Even less wash enough to be adequate.   And what happened to the Purell when you LEAVE the buffet.

It's sad, but true.  

I agree. Property hygiene is most important to prevent infection and the spread of viruses.

Unfortunately even (male) adults don’t wash their hands after using the restroom. Noticed it multiple times that men in tailored suits wearing expensive watches exited the stalls , brushed with one hand through their hair and went straight out the restroom. I felt sorry for the wife/gf to have such a ‘gentleman’ as partner.

The motto should be “washy washy after poopy poopy”.

16 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

I agree. Property hygiene is most important to prevent infection and the spread of viruses.

Unfortunately even (male) adults don’t wash their hands after using the restroom. Noticed it multiple times that men in tailored suits wearing expensive watches exited the stalls , brushed with one hand through their hair and went straight out the restroom. I felt sorry for the wife/gf to have such a ‘gentleman’ as partner.

1.  Personal hygiene is unrelated to economic success or social class.  (It's somewhere between weird and rude that you even refer to expensive suits and watches).

2.  It's not just "poopy-poopy".  🧐

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

1.  Personal hygiene is unrelated to economic success or social class.  (It's somewhere between weird and rude that you even refer to expensive suits and watches).

2.  It's not just "poopy-poopy".  🧐

I know and apologize. This was just an example and not meant to be weird or rude.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SirWolf said:

And some just rinse their hands for 5 seconds under the tap without using soap. Total waste of clean water.

Schedulled to go on Med cruise on msc Grandiosa in 3 weeks.

At this point I am still in.

I believe the panic mode will settle down as news and more information comes.

Curious to know what has changed on the daily routine in the ships in the past few days, in particular on Grandiosa, and how is the stress level in the ships (hope nobody is wearing masks).

This is from a poster on Celebrity board, they seem to have had a rough deal

Unfortunately my DW and two friends were denied boarding on the Millennium on February 1 in Singapore because we had a 1 hour layover in Hong Kong. We never changed planes or seats but were required to exit and go though security. It’s seems to me if you are going to try and contain this virus you would  just keep people in place. 
My question is why doesn’t Celebrity have a 24 hour emergency phone number, what about older folks without internet access. I emailed my TA as soon as I saw the email from Celebrity and she knew nothing about it, and when there is a 13 hour time difference it’s hard to get a quick answer. So after more than 24 hours of travel to get to Singapore arriving at 2:00 PM on Thursday and flying back home less than 48 hours later with 4 flights and 34 hours later getting home. On top of this they put us back though Hong Kong where we didn’t change planes again but made up get off and this time took our temperature and back though security and back on the plane.

People are saying it takes time to change itineraries, well it takes us longer to get ready and get there then it takes then to change itineraries. I do have insurance but I feel X should give a little more than a refund just for goodwill. How many people are going to spend over 58 hours to go to Singapore for 2 days. 
My only other pet peeve is Singapore had more confirmed cases than Hong Kong at the time. 

On 1/30/2020 at 8:15 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I’m sharing this just because i think it is very interesting- not trying to spread panic. We all need to keep this in perspective of influenzaB stats- but this map is real time. As each case is confirmed the numbers increase- it went from 6.5k to 8.3k in my last refresh. its cool technology at the very least- https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

ps- I have a cruise in April. I’m not yet concerned. 

I see the graph flating down today. I hope it is a start of a trend.

• Like 1

"passengers holding a Chinese passport onboard a recent P&O cruise ship were forced to disembark during the sailing. The decision was made after the Singapore government banned all Chinese nationals from entering its borders."

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1237135/cruise-p-o-cruises-coronavirus-cruises-holiday-china-Australia-latest-news

Just read from someone who boarded the Seaside on Saturday.  MSC has implemented thermal scanners to take your temperature from a distance of about 10-15 feet prior to boarding.  And apparently your temperature has to rise above 100.4F for there to be an issue.  Didn't hear anything about trying to monitor people with the sniffles or coughs.

Edited by Beardface
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

Just read from someone who boarded the Seaside on Saturday.  MSC has implemented thermal scanners to take your temperature from a distance of about 10-15 feet prior to boarding.  And apparently your temperature has to rise above 100.4F for there to be an issue.  Didn't hear anything about trying to monitor people with the sniffles or coughs.

Thanks for the update - that sounds reasonable enough. Guarantee I will get a coughing fit in the embarkation queue.

• Like 1