What age would you use upper berth?

M2LR

At what age would/did you feel comfortable letting your kid sleep on the upper berth? Up to this point my oldest has always had the upper and his younger brother has gotten the sofa bed. Talking about this upcoming cruise the youngest has been pushing to have his turn in the upper. He'll be 6 by then but he is really petite for his age (42" and like 35lbs). I know there is no official rule just curious the general consensus for comfort level. (we do currently have a bed rail at home but that is more to keep his million stuffed animals in bed, haha)

Edited by M2LR

I think the minimum age is 8 but no clue where I saw that. I don’t know if I will ever feel comfortable with my six year old in an upper. She is always upside down or sideways in bed. Until she stays put in her sleep, she won’t go in an upper, regardless of how old she is. I think not moving around in their sleep (and being old enough to be aware they are on an upper bunk) is more important than an age per say. My oldest was 7 the first time she went in an upper bunk. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My 2 year old slept there. 

I don't think there is a rule, it really depends on what sort of sleeper your child is. If they tend to roll all over the place and fall out of bed, then it would be a bad idea. I imagine a few drunk adults probably should stay away from that upper berth! 

• 2 months later...

I agree that the type of sleeper is more important than age! Our oldest is a thrasher and I actually brought along a pool noodle to shove along the side the first few times she slept up top. Youngest, on the other hand, sleeps like the dead and has never fallen out of bed. She started sleeping up there on her first cruise at age two when she was jealous of her sister.