PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

53 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

So the only thing the test can show is positive?  If it shows negative, one can still have the virus?  I'm not in this field, but I find that a bit odd.  That's pretty unfortunate then.

It means that as at the time of the test you don’t currently have the virus. Tomorrow you may test positive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, npcl said:

I wonder if everyone is getting free internet and/or the ability to make phone calls. 

Princess announced that the quarantined passengers have free internet and free phone calls. They would be allowed out on their balconies, but it would be tough for people who are in inside cabins.

8 minutes ago, npcl said:

I wonder if everyone is getting free internet and/or the ability to make phone calls. 

I read an article that says they have both.   Will post if I find it.  Certainly on other social media sites many are posting updates. Many updates and pics.  

27 minutes ago, qqwer123 said:

Ok so I’m in contact with friends on this ship. They are going to be on this ship for another 14 days. They were supposed to get off and they are now in quarantine. They are ok and not sick but have unpacked their suitcases and are trying to make the best of this situation. 

Good to know.  We are all thinking about them here.  

Aboard the Emerald 28 day LA RT Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti. Just received word from the Captain that both port calls in Samoa (Pago Pago & Apia) have been cancelled due to the coronavirus issue. More details are forthcoming but the Emerald will extend in Hawaii in place of the Samoan ports.

Cruise is wonderful so far!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, npcl said:

Not necessarily.  They have tested those that they identify as close contact, roughly 230 according to another article.  The 10 identified came from the 31 completed tests, they are awaiting the results from others.

A negative test does not mean that someone is clear of the virus according to the CDC.  Testing those that have not developed symptoms would not say for sure that they are clear.  Thus the waiting through the incubation period.

Princess is reporting that all crew and passengers have been screened.  Sending good thoughts to those on board!  image.png.524b312650640417970f293faee84a7b.png

Edited by azbirdmom

CNN)Doctors have shared new details about the first case of Wuhan coronavirus in the United States in a paper published Friday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

In the new report, doctors describe how the man progressed from initially mild, nonspecific symptoms to pneumonia on the ninth day of his illness.
The patient -- a 35-year-old resident of Snohomish County, Washington, with no history of major health problems -- had returned from visiting family in Wuhan on January 15. He had not visited the seafood market where a number of early patients were initially linked, nor did he have any known contacts with sick people during his visit.

46 minutes ago, npcl said:

According to a notice on the Princess website: "Guests will continue to be provided complimentary internet and telephone to use in order to stay in contact with their family and loved ones, and the ship’s crew is working to keep all guests comfortable."

1 hour ago, elliair said:

This is why we don't cruise unless we have a balcony.  No one is getting off that ship until they've been quarantined.  I swear the crud I caught on the Star Princess to Hawaii laid me out for almost a month.  I'm going out on a limb here, but this virus is far worse than anything we have seen in our life time.  Some of us who have upcoming cruises may not make it on the ship.  There's no stopping this coronovirus.  A vaccine is many months away.

You are going out on a limb. That is an irresponsible thing to say and and uneducated one. If you don't know the facts don't say anything!!

Scaremongering at its finest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. Princess has announced this and the fact that they are following instructions from the Japanese government on the quarantine of the people on the Diamond Princess.

Source? 

Does the Japanese Ministry of Health require pax to remain in their cabins, or that the ship cannot disembark passengers until there are no cases of the virus present?

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

Source? 

Does the Japanese Ministry of Health require pax to remain in their cabins, or that the ship cannot disembark passengers until there are no cases of the virus present?

If you go back through this thread, there is a link to a newspaper article that quotes a Princess spokesman on this matter.

To my knowledge, they have not said that everyone will have to stay on board until no cases of the virus are present - this is probably why the passengers are kept isolated from each other. If they were congregating as usual, there could be hundreds of people with the virus.

The results were for 10 of 273 tested that had symptoms, so not 10 out of a couple thousand, but really 5% of those with symptoms had the virus, no conclusion.  It'll be interesting to see out of the other couple thousand how many will show symptoms and then test positive.

Almost the ideal experiment to evaluate transmission Ro, incubation and mortality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If you go back through this thread, there is a link to a newspaper article that quotes a Princess spokesman on this matter.

Yes. That did not address my specific question, which is: Are passengers in inside cabins expected to remain locked in them for 14 days?

That seems inhumane -- although, given the nature of the virus, perhaps a reasonable action to take.

Edited by Outerdog

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

Yes. That did not address my specific question, which is: Are passengers in inside cabins expected to remain locked in them for 14 days?

That seems inhumane. 

At this point if they have no worries for food, water, bathroom, warm water etc.  TV with endless movies and wifi that is pretty good compared to many in China and elsewhere, 1st world problem prospective, LOL

Edited by chipmaster

2 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

That seems inhumane -- although, given the nature of the virus, perhaps a reasonable action to take.

Yes. It was announced that passengers are confined to their cabins. I wouldn't like it either if I was in that position, but I would accept that it was for the better good - to reduce the possibility of spread of the virus.

The situation would be a nightmare for the crew on the ship. They have to prepare meals and deliver them to the cabins, then deal with passengers who might try to break out of their imposed quarantine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, npcl said:

I read on social media everyone was given internet and telephone service. It was also reported they were allowed on their balconies. This was from someone now on the ship.

15 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

The results were for 10 of 273 tested that had symptoms, so not 10 out of a couple thousand, but really 5% of those with symptoms had the virus, no conclusion.  It'll be interesting to see out of the other couple thousand how many will show symptoms and then test positive.

Almost the ideal experiment to evaluate transmission Ro, incubation and mortality.

There were 10 out of the 31 completed tests.  There are a couple of hundred tests still pending.

All passengers and crew have been screened.  Do not know what criteria was used to select those tested,

Way way too small for those determinations, also a closed environment like a cruise ship would have a substantially higher Ro then in normal setting (in the case of flu for example 4-6 times higher in an institution (school, cruise ship, etc) than normal community environment.

Edited by npcl

20 hours ago, caribill said:

If you are healthy, wearing the masks is not going to be of any value. Usually the moisture in your breath will render a mask ineffective within 30 minutes.

However, if worn by someone who is already sick, they are effective in helping stop the spread of the disease because they will help keep droplets that may contain virus from spreading. Of course such a mask must be properly handled and disposed of after use since improper handing/disposal will result in the spread of the virus.

You are partially correct  if the mask is of the surgical type it's no good for your protection. Also, as the biologists at my work place say, your eyes are semi permeable.  I have boxes of goggles if necessary. LOL     Mode of transmission need to be determined.

The  N95  are the ones recommended by the CDC for health care workers,

This is from CDC website:

Prioritize the use of N95 respirators for those personnel at the highest risk of contracting or experiencing complications of infection.

See CDC web page for futher information

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hcwcontrols/recommendedguidanceextuse.html

Actually, not too worried as death rate is low.  I was lucky (eyes rolling) to get the swine flu back in 2009 but a very mild case.  That actually had a higher mortality rate than this coronavirus but who knows if the Chinese are reporting accurately. 

According to BBC report, this seems to cause the biggest problems in people who have compromised lung function, smokers, asthma, etc.  Personally, I can't imagine it not coming to the states and making some sort of an impact.  Time will tell.