Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mcrcruiser

PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, MCAT48 said:

So is everyone stuck in their rooms for the 14 days? I’d go nuts especially if I had an inside room! How terrible! 

 

Especially if you are a cigarette smoker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone on board, Please post the latest update. It’s 1:30 AM eastern time. Wednesday. 
 

what is the mood like? How do you feel? Are you able to get fresh air if you wear a mask? I feel for anyone quarantined in an inside. I wish you the best 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dog said:

Thank goodness. What a nightmare. Cruisers can learn a lesson here. Take extra medications. Keep snacks drinks in cabin. I hope others are being cared for too 

 

How much extra?

 

People on this cruise would need at least 14 days extra supply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caribill said:

 

How much extra?

 

People on this cruise would need at least 14 days extra supply.

Only you can decide for yourself. David Abel is diabetic and explains his situation. Just ignore my post not looking for attacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We must pray for all the people impacted  by this virus on Diamond Princess  . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, elliair said:

 I read where a family of 5 who were quarantined in their home were ALL found dead.

Seriously - this is just silly. Unless you have definitive proof of this, it’s just silly to share it. I know someone who works in a hospital that is caring for people with this disease. Word is that it IS very contagious, but in most people it’s much like having a cold or the flu. The people dying are people who already had serious health conditions before getting the virus. 

Edited by TrixieBel
Fixed wording

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TrixieBel said:

Seriously - this is just silly. Unless you have definitive proof of this, it’s just silly to share it. I know someone who works in a hospital that is caring for people with this disease. Word is that it IS very contagious, but in most people it’s much like having a cold or the flu. The people dying are people who already had serious health conditions before getting the virus. 

 

Thanks for trying to add balance. Some of the posts on this thread are beyond ridiculous and it seems that even something simple in their everyday life would tip them over the edge. Fortunately now though it is easy to identify which posts should just be ignored.

It appears that there are some that have no interest in other than scaremongering and convincing themselves that the world is about to end. Rant over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, caribill said:

 

Especially if you are a cigarette smoker.

Smoking anywhere on the ship has been banned.  By Japanese authority not Princess.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gilboman said:

Why? They tested everyone already? So of they're negative now, they'll be negative

 

They're not testing only those with symptoms


presumably the last 10 passengers were mixing with the rest last week.  So testing will need to be repeated in 5 /7 days .. if there are more positive cases quarantine may have to be reset and extended.  Crew may be passing the virus.  It will be very difficult to limit all contact.  How are they doing laundry for instance.  Presumably most passengers were going home with little clean laundry.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what is the exact process for delivering room service / water / beer to all those people in their cabins ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, voljeep said:

what is the exact process for delivering room service / water / beer to all those people in their cabins ?

David Abel in his live update videos has mentioned the food situation. They do not get to use room service. He has posted photos on his fb site showing food they are getting as of Wed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks, dog

 

yeah, I don't "do facebook" as I waste enough time on these boards

 

so, at least for now, you just take whatever it is they bring you ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else notice that threads on other social media sites are disappearing? I was following a thread last night from a lady currently onboard and the entire conversation has been deleted. I'm thankful CC has allowed the links to Davids videos to stay, but someone may want to tell him to create his own youtube account where the images can't be deleted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Anyone else notice that threads on other social media sites are disappearing? I was following a thread last night from a lady currently onboard and the entire conversation has been deleted. I'm thankful CC has allowed the links to Davids videos to stay, but someone may want to tell him to create his own youtube account where the images can't be deleted. 

I friended David Abel on fb and am now getting his video live updates. We are not allowed to put fb n here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DivotMaker said:

 

Indeed, I applaud his courage.  But,  I'm just heartbroken for the passengers with medical conditions requiring medications that they may not have enough of.  I hope Princess can figure out a way to resolve that.

As long as the medication is approved in Japan they should be able to go through the medical center and get perscriptions filled. Since they have phone and internet they can contact their physician/pharmacy and get a copy of their perscription.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disembarked the Diamond Princess on January 20 in Yokohama, with my group of 29 clients, after an awesome 14 day sailing from Singapore to Tokyo.  All flew back to their homes in US between January 20 and January 25.  Now that the news of the ship quarantine is surfacing, and that the infected man boarded on January 20, I am fielding some inquiries from my clients in regards to their health concerns. I am focusing on the positive that our group was on the sailing before this one, thank goodness. But I do have great sympathy for the crew we befriended while on board, and for the passengers who are stuck there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dog said:

I friended David Abel on fb and am now getting his video live updates. We are not allowed to put fb n here.

 

Yes you are.

 

You are not allowed to link to Facebook groups which duplicate the functionality of the Cruise Critic Roll Call section. 

 

edit: change "meet and greet" to "roll call"

Edited by Outerdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

 

Yes you are.

 

You are not allowed to link to Facebook groups which duplicate the functionality of the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet section. 

Well thanks for putting me straight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TrixieBel said:

Seriously - this is just silly. Unless you have definitive proof of this, it’s just silly to share it. I know someone who works in a hospital that is caring for people with this disease. Word is that it IS very contagious, but in most people it’s much like having a cold or the flu. The people dying are people who already had serious health conditions before getting the virus. 

Not all people developing serious cases have preexisting conditions. Clearly there are groups that can be considered high risk This group are similar to those fpr the flu. The current stat show about 25% of cases turn serious.  These include healthy adults. Since tmild cases often go unreported one can expect the 25% to be an upper boundary and the actual number to be somewhat lower. As with other new strains there is no preexisting immunity so there can be serious cases in otherwise healthy adults. Similar to a recent flu strain where  many of the serious cases tended to be healthy young adults because they had never been exposed to that strain before, unlike those over 60 having been exposed in previous outbreaks.

 

fear mongering is not good, but neither is dismissing potential risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, seapals2 said:


presumably the last 10 passengers were mixing with the rest last week.  So testing will need to be repeated in 5 /7 days .. if there are more positive cases quarantine may have to be reset and extended.  Crew may be passing the virus.  It will be very difficult to limit all contact.  How are they doing laundry for instance.  Presumably most passengers were going home with little clean laundry.  

very interesting as more is known (or postulated at least) about this disease.  while scary, the mortality rate is so low outside china and the foreign cases have had generally very good recovery rates that I think the hysteria has inflated beyond the real relative risks of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...