PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

Didn't they take out the barrel chairs and small tables from the cabins last year? Can you imagine having 2, and maybe 3 or 4 people in the cabin for 2 weeks with only one chair to sit in?

That's rough. No one plans for this kind of thing when they decide to have 3 or 4 in the cabin on the basis that they only use the cabin to sleep.

• Like 2

Just accepted an upsell BB to MB .... normally I could be okay stuck in my BB room but I'm going with 2 kids. Give them unlimited gaming (iPads) and they're fine but I cannot imagine no where to sit! Can't imagine what those inside staterooms with more than 1 person would be like

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

That's rough. No one plans for this kind of thing when they decide to have 3 or 4 in the cabin on the basis that they only use the cabin to sleep.

I'd rather be confined to a section on the open deck somewhere with blankets, pillows, and deck chairs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

I'd rather be confined to a section on the open deck somewhere with blankets, pillows, and deck chairs.

Perhaps they can let a few cabins at a time take turns roaming the pool deck.  It'd be a nightmare to orchestrate, but confined-to-quarters is a tough thing for passengers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mpk said:

Perhaps they can let a few cabins at a time take turns roaming the pool deck.  It'd be a nightmare to orchestrate, but confined-to-quarters is a tough thing for passengers.

Even prisoners get time on the yard each day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mpk said:

Saw crew on deck on news spray decks. Probably best to stay in cabins unless dressed like crew in protective wear. 

5 hours ago, npcl said:

As long as the medication is approved in Japan they should be able to go through the medical center and get perscriptions filled. Since they have phone and internet they can contact their physician/pharmacy and get a copy of their perscription.

Someone has posted a clip of an announcement in the cabin.  Passengers have had to request any medication and it will be delivered free of charge.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

which will increase more ? the birth rate or the divorce rate ?😍  👿

I feel terrible for the people been stuck in there cabins... And I not sure if this is a proper time to wonder if they get beer and wine in to the cabins?

Lets hope safe returns for all of them. 

Edited by LeeaAndPaul
added more information

1 minute ago, LeeaAndPaul said:

I feel terrible for the people been stuck in there cabins... And I not sure if this is a proper time to wonder if they get beer and wine in to the cabins?

Lets hope safe returns for all of them. 

Nope .. no alcohol allowed.  😬

7 hours ago, npcl said:

As long as the medication is approved in Japan they should be able to go through the medical center and get perscriptions filled. Since they have phone and internet they can contact their physician/pharmacy and get a copy of their perscription.

The medical center has both a limited number of kinds of meds as well as a limited quantity of each. It is unlikely they would have sufficient quantities of the kinds they do have to satisfy all needs.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:17 PM, npcl said:

I think that if this is going to be a major problem the next shoe to drop will be in Thailand or Vietnam (to a lesser degree Indonesia and Malasia).  They get large numbers of Chinese tourists (The Health Director in Thailand indicated that 22000 Chinese from Wuhan traveled to Thailand prior to China locking down travel).  Relatively poor infrastructure for blocking spread. If nothing happens there in the next 2-3 weeks then I would expect this to be fairly well contained.

I agree about Viet Nam,  I leave in 50 days for a river cruise there,  sitting back waiting and watching to see what happens. 

1 hour ago, caribill said:

The medical center has both a limited number of kinds of meds as well as a limited quantity of each. It is unlikely they would have sufficient quantities of the kinds they do have to satisfy all needs.

I expect the MHW would use the med center as a coordination point. The actual meds would come from the MHW pharmacy sources, provided it is a med approved in Japan.

The Ministry of Health and Welfare would be the lead agency in Japan on these issues.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Anyone else notice that threads on other social media sites are disappearing? I was following a thread last night from a lady currently onboard and the entire conversation has been deleted. I'm thankful CC has allowed the links to Davids videos to stay, but someone may want to tell him to create his own youtube account where the images can't be deleted. 

And you wonder what influence the cruise lines have over CC...

We just cancelled our Regal Princess Caribbean Cruise leaving this coming Sunday.  We get back 75% credit towards a future cruise.  I just can’t imagine being quarantined for 2 weeks!   It just takes one person with the virus to shut the whole ship down. Princess sent me an email for a paid upgrade to a mini suite (we had an inside cabin) but “no”, will not do it even in the best suite on board.  Yesterday we were #6 on the waitlist so people must be cancelling.  I’m waiting until Saturday to officially cancel, hoping they cancel the cruise (not likely).  I feel so bad for all those people on the Diamond.  May God give them strength!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, caribill said:

Especially if you are a cigarette smoker.

My mother was a smoker, and this would have been unbearable for her. Unfortunately, she died of lung cancer.

So many more people will die from smoking or second hand smoke than this disease will ever kill. If we were rational beings, we would run screaming from anyone that was smoking. Human beings have a very flawed sense of what is dangerous. 

I was reading a very interesting article about children and the coronavirus. This is indeed a very weird disease.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/health/coronavirus-children.html

I hope that with the warming temperatures of spring (usually signalling the end of flu season) and the recent news about antivirals ( I am worried that the effectiveness of these drugs may turn out to be just another hyped news story) that this disease gets under control in the next couple months. 

Also, it is very interesting that the people who have this disease in Canada, the US and the rest of the world seem to be recovering so much better than people in the hard hit Chinese regions. 

It is going to take a lot of research and reflection after this is over to truly understand what has happened and how to prevent it in the future.

14 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

We just cancelled our Regal Princess Caribbean Cruise leaving this coming Sunday.  We get back 75% credit towards a future cruise.  I just can’t imagine being quarantined for 2 weeks!   It just takes one person with the virus to shut the whole ship down. Princess sent me an email for a paid upgrade to a mini suite (we had an inside cabin) but “no”, will not do it even in the best suite on board.  Yesterday we were #6 on the waitlist so people must be cancelling.  I’m waiting until Saturday to officially cancel, hoping they cancel the cruise (not likely).  I feel so bad for all those people on the Diamond.  May God give them strength!

I don't think there is much chance of a Caribbean cruise being cancelled at this stage. However, we don't know what will happen with the virus in coming months.

We have several booked for this year, and are not considering cancelling any of them. I would not go on a cruise to any Asian ports at this time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Someone has posted a clip of an announcement in the cabin.  Passengers have had to request any medication and it will be delivered free of charge.  

Yes, I posted that from Jimmy C post who is on the ship. They got form on Wednesday to request Med refills. When the ship returns to Yokohama Princess will get them filled for passengers at no charge. 

28 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

My mother was a smoker, and this would have been unbearable for her. Unfortunately, she died of lung cancer.

So many more people will die from smoking or second hand smoke than this disease will ever kill. If we were rational beings, we would run screaming from anyone that was smoking. Human beings have a very flawed sense of what is dangerous. 

I was reading a very interesting article about children and the coronavirus. This is indeed a very weird disease.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/health/coronavirus-children.html

I hope that with the warming temperatures of spring (usually signalling the end of flu season) and the recent news about antivirals ( I am worried that the effectiveness of these drugs may turn out to be just another hyped news story) that this disease gets under control in the next couple months. 

Also, it is very interesting that the people who have this disease in Canada, the US and the rest of the world seem to be recovering so much better than people in the hard hit Chinese regions. 

It is going to take a lot of research and reflection after this is over to truly understand what has happened and how to prevent it in the future.

The outbreak overwhelmed hospital capacity in some areas of China (thus the need to build new facilities in days).  Once hospitals get overwhelmed the quality of care goes down. That is one of the big problems with outbreaks, something that you can handle  in small numbers becomes unmanageable with large numbers. In the other countries there are very few patients and lots of hospital capacity (intensive care, oxygen, staff, etc,) to provide the necessary care. Dealing with 1 or 2, much different than hundreds or thousands. Also keep in mind that most of the patients outside of China were identified in the last week (1/27 # 87, 2/4  #227 patients , so relatively early.    About 5 or 6 months from, once a number have gone through complete cycle and recovery we can start getting good stats.

As another note the patients outside of China at 227 is about where China was on Jan 18. 18 days later China is over 27,000. Next week should start to tell how well this is contained.  The good news is no signs of additional clusters yet, but still early.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 2